• selector 2.jpg
      selector 2.jpg
      32.9 KB · Views: 730

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I don't like that look. Is this the design or a mistake in milling/casting?

From what I have been reading on the net it may be a combination of some lower receivers are a little thinner and the selector may be a little longer to make sure it doesn't peal off the sticker. of course I've only started looking into this today.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I thought there was a red plate that went between the selector and lower with the words Binary on it ??

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I sent my lower in to be installed by Franklin Armory. I will let you guys know if it looks any different. It's been about a month now and still waiting. Mine is being installed in a Spike's lower.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Atlasarmory - Was the home install as simple as a normal drop in? The fine print on Franklin's website basically says if you do it yourself you might DIE!

"It is imperative that the BFS™ only be installed, adjusted, and/or repaired by a certified Franklin Armory™ armorer. Failure to use a Franklin Armory™ armorer to install your trigger may expose you to serious liability including PROPERTY DAMAGE, PERSONAL INJURY TO YOUR SELF OR OTHERS, AND/OR DEATH!"

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Atlasarmory - Was the home install as simple as a normal drop in? The fine print on Franklin's website basically says if you do it yourself you might DIE!

"It is imperative that the BFS™ only be installed, adjusted, and/or repaired by a certified Franklin Armory™ armorer. Failure to use a Franklin Armory™ armorer to install your trigger may expose you to serious liability including PROPERTY DAMAGE, PERSONAL INJURY TO YOUR SELF OR OTHERS, AND/OR DEATH!"[/QUOTE

My unit was a snug fit another .001 or .002 and the unit would have been too wide to fit in my lower. but it did just slip in with only light hand pressure. But you had to insert it perfectly strait. I did not need to shim the trigger pack upward I actually had to slowly file away about 80 to 90% of the shim pockets on the bottom to get pack low enough for my pin holes to line up. I have not shot it yet but it functions fine.

2 things to remember

in binary don't ride the reset (pull the trigger all the way to the rear past where the shot breaks with each trigger "PULL" . Or the safety sear will engage and not allow the release shot to fire )

in the semi position the trigger reset is loud noticeably louder then what I have seen with other triggers. When I first installed the pack the reset in semi hung up a few times. But after lubing and cycling it a few dozen times it smoothed out. It still makes a loud clunk on the reset but is 100%. I'mm pretty sure this thing will just smooth out more after a few 100 rounds to break everything in.

Last edited:

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    BFS

Scott's Gunsmithing is selling these triggers for 400. Trigger plus tax is 424. Installed, the total is 525. First 5 are out the door. Scott ordered more and just received word they're shipping in the next couple days.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I got my lower back from Franklin Armory today with my new Binary trigger installed. I have not been to the range with it yet but I thought I would post some close up pictures. If anyone wants to see a close up of something specific or a different angle, just let me know.

Mine was installed by the factory in my Spike's Crusader lower receiver. You can see in the photos that there is a gap between the safety switch and the side of the lower.

Attachments

• 20160613_130302.1.jpg
      20160613_130302.1.jpg
      62.3 KB · Views: 596
    • 20160613_130242.1.jpg
      20160613_130242.1.jpg
      61.1 KB · Views: 623
    • 20160613_130158.1.jpg
      20160613_130158.1.jpg
      43.1 KB · Views: 593
    • 20160613_130145.1.jpg
      20160613_130145.1.jpg
      38.2 KB · Views: 589

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I did have a couple of questions that got answered. I'll post them in case anyone else wondered the same. Note: I have not been to the range, so I am substituting the word "Bang" so I do not have to type "the hammer drops and a round would fire" multiple times.

Of course normal operation in binary mode is: pull trigger, bang. release trigger, bang.

Observations in (dry fire, no rounds in rifle) binary mode:

Charge bolt, pull trigger, bang. While still holding trigger, charge bolt, release trigger, bang.

Charge bolt, pull trigger, bang. Release trigger, charge bolt, pull trigger, bang. repeat.

Pull and hold trigger, charge bolt, release trigger, bang.

Pull and hold trigger, charge bolt, turn safety switch from binary to fire, release trigger, NO bang. pull trigger, bang.

Every time I charge the bolt, it does not matter if I am holding the trigger or I pull the trigger, the next movement of the trigger will fire the rifle in binary mode.

I pulled the bolt back and locked it open with the mag catch, then pulled and released the trigger. This was to simulate pulling the trigger after running the mag dry and continuing to pull the trigger with the bolt locked back.

After returning the bolt forward, I pulled the trigger, nothing. I released the trigger, bang.

The question came up that if you got hammer follow and a round did not go off, would you have the hammer stuck in a release fire only situation. I believe the answer is no. (You would have a release fire only if you continue to pull the trigger with the bolt locked back) You would just release the trigger, charge the bolt and clear the round, and then pull the trigger like normal setting off the next round. The round after that would go off like it should when you released the trigger. I have tried many combinations and the hammer drops with either a trigger pull or a trigger release after each time the bolt is charged.

If I missed anything, let me know.

Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Follow up....you guys still liking these? Can Harry homeowner do the install without any issues?

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I still haven't been able to shoot mine with any speed. My range has rules against that. But it does seem to operate ok so far.

I had mine factory installed but there are many reports and some youtube videos that show the installation to be easily done at home. There are a couple of coin shaped shims that go under the trigger housing and that's about it.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Think I am going to need to get me one of those. Just have to decide which lower and AR it will go on. Likely my HD carbine, as I don't think I want to put it on any of my competition ones.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    based on your signature, the following wouldn't apply to you, but I would not suggest this trigger on a HD AR, at least not unless you have practiced and mastered the trigger. With adrenaline, an untrained person you could put A LOT of rounds down range, or should I say down the hallway, through the floor, walls, windows, neighbors, etc.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    based on your signature, the following wouldn't apply to you, but I would not suggest this trigger on a HD AR, at least not unless you have practiced and mastered the trigger. With adrenaline, an untrained person you could put A LOT of rounds down range, or should I say down the hallway, through the floor, walls, windows, neighbors, etc.

True, I think for most of us, the best use of this trigger is for competition where double tap is used or just a fun day at the range. In a stressful situation like home defense, the "Happy Switch" can just be left in the traditional semi auto position.

I am trying to decide if the Gen III is an improvement or the same trigger without the self contained drop-in box design. They don't seem to be offering Gen II for sale any longer. I don't know but it might be an outcome of them being sued by Mossberg over the drop-in box trigger design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom