Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 12th, 2019, 10:42 AM #31
For great Justice

For great Justice

Hard to say how much the boycott is affecting them, but seems like they are making all the same decisions that every major retailer does as they head down the death spiral to bankruptcy. I won't buy anything from them, but have killed time there, and sometimes go to see something on display, before ordering it elsewhere. Their selection has been falling, loosing people that don't want to wait for shipping, more crap brands to loose enthusiasts looking for good stuff, prices have been climbing relative to others loosing the bargain shoppers, and there really haven't been any new marketing campaigns or products for years to bring in new customers. Hard to say if kids sport teams and moms looking for yoga pants is enough to keep them in buisness, but they are about all the customers they have left.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 10:42 AM #32

While it may our may not affect dicks if you or I shop there, if it feels good to you it is ok. Years ago Pizza Hut fired a delivery for shooting a robber. I have not eaten a pizza from there in ask of this time. Thier pan pizza is the Bonn in my humble opinion and i miss it but f'em and it makes me happy. They have not seen any financial impact from my actions but you got to do what you got to do.

Nobody
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 10:45 AM #33

I don't think Dick's is going to die just because gun owners want them to. Dick's doesn't live or die by us. Time to move on.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dicks...184022551.html

https://www.zacks.com/stock/news/357...-dividend-hike

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/25/dick...e-on-guns.html
Proud Patriot Guard Rider
Charter Member, JPFO
Occasional Asshole
Docster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 11:07 AM #34
Guns 'n Drums

Guns 'n Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
While it may our may not affect Dick's if you or I shop there, if it feels good to you, it is ok. Years ago Pizza Hut fired a delivery guy for shooting a robber. I have not eaten a pizza from there in all of this time. Their pan pizza is the bomb in my humble opinion and I miss it, but f'em, and it makes me happy. They have not seen any financial impact from my actions but you've got to do what you've got to do.

Nobody
I agree with this. Although I commented back then that our boycott of Dick's wasn't likely going to affect their bottom line much if any, I have still chosen to take my sporting goods business elsewhere for the same reasons as the rest of you. If they don't support the US Constitution/2nd Amendment, then they don't support the USA, and they do not deserve my business.
Old June 12th, 2019, 11:10 AM #35
Whatchalookinat?

Whatchalookinat?

As for stock performance, look at the first chart in post #1 and where Dick's was in 2017. Now look at this chart showing the performance of the S&P 500. Dicks tanked after their announcement on AR-15s and selling to those under 21. It has had slight improvement since then, but meanwhile the larger stock market has reached some of its highest values ever. It would appear to me Dick's is underperforming the larger market.
Attached Images

Patron Life Member NRA
Member of SAF/CCRKBA, MSI, SLSC, NAGR
Defensive Carry Contributor
Handgunlaw.usa Contributor
MD Designated Collector
and Proud 13'er

spclopr8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 06:18 AM #36

You have to take a deeper look at Dick’s financials and their quarterly reports (as others have said in this thread). Their shareholders calls almost invariably get summed up with them begging for people not to sell, touting their wokeness, and mentioning the hilarity of their Field & Stream spinoff failure.

That last one to me can be at least be partially attributed to the boycotts. They had plans to expand massively into the “older, still shops retail, midwestern” demographic with a whole line of Field and Stream stores and it’s all but dead now. Their stock price hasn’t tanked bc people are holding with hopes of Dick’s drastically cutting stores and selling off the Field & Stream line to someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RepublicOfFranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 08:16 AM #37

Every little bit makes a difference. I haven’t bought anything there since they went soft in the head and will not. When I go for a walk through FSK mall, I sometimes loop through there. I figure maybe that way I’m reducing their per customer sales figures. Ha!
Work hard, shoot straight, play fair, fight dirty
DanGuy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 08:52 AM #38

I will never again set foot in one of their stores. And I tell others to do the same at every opportunity.
MackM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 03:51 PM #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
As for stock performance, look at the first chart in post #1 and where Dick's was in 2017. Now look at this chart showing the performance of the S&P 500.
That chart's x axis is not zero but something 1800, greatly exaggerating the decline.

And dicks declines don't really align with it its 2011 decision to stop selling AR in Dicks stores or with Parkland.

I'd like nothing better than to claim their decisions on stocking guns, working with the gun control lobby etc hurt them badly, but there is no evidence that that hurt or helped them.

It is entirely minor issued compared to the fact that amazon sells 95% of what dicks stocks, that Amazon sells it all for less, and that you can now get amazon to your door the same of the next day.

This is part of why Dicks has been moving towards apparel, where being able to try on apparel is a relative advantage to bricks and mortar retail. Dicks is outperforming big box retail. Retail exposed to online competition is generally getting hammered.

Look, I feel good about not shopping at Dicks anymore. I do hope there business tanks completely. But I don't see evidence that their position on guns is a real factor.
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues