• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMV

Mar 29, 2019
    Currently I’m using the RCBS Swagger to remove the military crimp from .223 brass. I hoping someone out there can give me their honest opinion on switching to a progress style swagger for a Hornady AP and/or an opinion on the crimp remover tool for a Frankford Arsenal Case Trim and Prep Center.

Any info on making my decision to go with one or the other is appreciated.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I use a rotary cutter on my RCBS prep center. I still hit it with the deburring head afterwards.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Hey, ya only need to run a case through it once. I use a Dillon Super Swage 600, which is similar to the RCBS. I'm not a high volume shooter, but if I were needing to run 500-1000 once-fired military rounds every week through it, I'd look for something else. I'd probably add a Dillon 1050 press with its built-in swager to my bench.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Hey, ya only need to run a case through it once. I use a Dillon Super Swage 600, which is similar to the RCBS. I'm not a high volume shooter, but if I were needing to run 500-1000 once-fired military rounds every week through it, I'd look for something else. I'd probably add a Dillon 1050 press with its built-in swager to my bench.

What he said, there is no way I would enjoy removing large volume with my Dillion Super Swage 600.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018

What he said, there is no way I would enjoy removing large volume with my Dillion Super Swage 600.

Do you guys use a rubber band on your Dillon swager?
    YouTube it, It helps pick up the pace.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Do you guys use a rubber band on your Dillon swager?
    YouTube it, It helps pick up the pace.

Neat. I found a couple different variations on the rubber band mods. I could see that helping. The next time I need to run through some, I'll give it a whirl.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I do a thousand at a time with my Dillon 600. I typically do a batch every so often while watching TV.

I do have a LOT of once fired mil 9mm brass I would like to process. But for that task, would love to get access to a 1050 for a day.

I mentioned this to Dillon people at the Great American Outdoors Show. His answer, we have a 30 day money back guarantee. :D

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Another +1 for the Dillon Super Swager. Like most things, you get a rhythm going and before you know it you can swage 500 to 1000 cases. Once a case is swaged, you never need to swage it again.

That said, I was once in a co-op where we had access to a 1050 with a tool head set up to process .223 brass. I would spend a morning to run a five gallon bucket of brass through that machine. Once it was done, I would dry tumble for 15 to 20 minutes to remove any brass shavings left on the case mouths and take the lube off the cases. If you know someone with a 1050, offer to buy a tool head setup with an RT1500. Get a couple of people together to cover the cost and share the use of the machine and it will make you life much easier.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am hoping someone will see this and offer to rent me some time on a 1050 setup for 9mm. A few hours would do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom