• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    I will be there on Friday. Thinking of wearing the NRA hat when outside at least to be certain I don't get lumped in with the anti-gunners.

As for the MCC organizing buses I think and Catholics here should ride along. Free ride, overload the buses with supporters of gun rights. Perhaps if these groups see how many people they may be working against they will change their minds.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    It isn't entirely clear to me: when we arrive on Friday morning, where exactly do we go? As in, what room number? Do we go first to register to testify, and if so what room number is that? Or do we go to the 'event' room that MSI has reserved, and if so what room is that?

I was going early, so it didn't matter to me and it might be best if you did too...anyway, Smigiel has a good low-down on the times...http://delegatemike.com/?p=3447

capman98

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Mt. Airy maryland
    From Del. Dwyer....

Dear Defenders of Liberty-

The following is an update from Delegate Smigiel, with a lot of the finer details that I wanted you all to get. If you have any questions, please feel free to call him at the numbers provided at the end, or you can call me at 410-841-3047.

Best,

Louisa

By Delegate Michael Smigiel

Please see the information below is shared with as many people as possible.

As I wrote over the last few days, we have been working to make sure the experience for the thousands who show up to testify on Friday is more enjoyable than it was during the Senate Hearings.

(1) Hearing sing-up will begin at 8:30 a.m. at the House Judiciary Main Entrance. There will be two tables with six computers for signing up people much faster.

(2) Hearings will begin at noon (not 1:00 p.m.) in the Joint Hearing Room. There will be several off site locations where to view the proceedings remotely. Persons who are unable to attend will be able to watch on line live also.

(3) Expert testimony will run for a maximum of 4 hours: 1 hour proponent; 1 hour opponent; 1 hour proponent; 1 hour opponent.

(4) Following expert testimony, members of the public will have 1 minute each to testify.

(5) No end time will be placed on sign-ups or the hearing but we will put a statement on the front of the MGA web page indicating that based on the number of people expected to show up on Friday, building capacity, staff limitations and time limitations mean that it is unlikely that every individual will have the opportunity to speak. We will remind people (or inform them) that the hearings will be live streamed and available to watch over the internet. We will also outline all of the ways, besides live testimony, that members of the public can register their thoughts and opinions on this issue with their elected representatives (written testimony, email, letters, phone calls).

(6) People who wish to provide written testimony should bring 70 copies with them on Friday.

(7) Written testimony will be collected in 3 places: outside (for those wanting to avoid the lines); in front of the JUD committee; and at the sign-up tables.

(8) If and when the building is closed down by the Fire Marshall, we will advise people waiting in line that the building has been shut down and access will be based on a one-in, one-out count. If that should occur the Committees would offer them the option of signing a sheet indicating their support or opposition if they choose to leave.

(10) There will be spot-a-pots available for those in line to use.

As additional information becomes available I will put it up. Should anyone have any additional questions please call me at 410-841-3555 office, or my cell phone at 410-920-0128.

davek

Feb 4, 2013
    I was there on Feb 6th, standing in line at the Miller building for 5+ hours. It was hot and stuffy and we were crammed on that second floor for hours. My feet were killing me. I took off my top coat and suit jacket crumpling it under my arm. I kept taking my messenger bag off my shoulder and putting it on the floor. I was hungry, I was tired. My newly pressed suit, fresh from the cleaners and my shirt started to look a rumpled mess. I was annoyed and frustrated at the ridiculous sign up process....

Then I looked in line and saw him, way up in front of me, an elderly man, standing calmly, standing resolutely, not talking, steely eyes fixed ahead a him, white hair, rough wrinkled skin, hands at his side as if at attention - a vet standing proudly in line. Surely he was much older than me and just as surely as tired and uncomfortable as I was if not more. Yet he remained silent, stood tall and determined. I felt a tinge of embarrassment for complaining to those around me and I thought to myself, it's time to shut up and cowboy up. Even when the Miller building was closed and we were invited to sign up outside, that man and most of us stayed in line for yet another hour to sign that damned book, and sign it we did.

It's another day without pay or compensation for me, but I will be there on Friday March 1st. I'm doing it for me, I'm doing it for my children and my grandchildren, and yes I'm doing it for that man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom