• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    For those of you who may not have seen the MSI update:

The House considers the Governor's bill in a joint hearing. We will update you separately on the House schedule, but we need a turnout much like the one we did on the 6th. We need to be heard.

Friday will offer some new options. No more standing in long lines. We learned lessons from the Senate hearings and have done a lot of work with the House to make this day comfortable. We will have many witness sign-in sheets to avoid lines; the House has reserved all rooms for overflow (the House is also bigger than the Senate); and in a new twist, MSI and other civil rights organizations have reserved the upper floors of the House for our own activities, including a "Public Safety Policy Conference".

We won't repeat the rally - we are going to hold our own hearings, right in the same building as the actual hearing themselves. This time we will not locked out. Lawmakers will be in attendance, and we will empanel the most important people at the heart of this debate: you.
    No excuses this week. You have the opportunity to speak, be heard and to make a difference. You just need to take it. There is something for everyone. Stand up, or be pushed down. Your choice.

Special Attention:

If you are a constituent of one of the following Senators, you must contact them via phone, fax or in person immediately. Emails might be ignored, so you need to add the personal touch:
    Senator Miller
    Senator Klausmeier
    Senator Zirkin
    Senator Muse
    Senator Miller
    Senator Middleton
    Senator Dyson
    Senator Astle
    Senator DeGrange
    Senator Mathias
    Senator Brochin

Don't know who your representatives are? Find them at MDElect.net.

I feel Middleton is very much on our side. I wouldn't hammer him with mail...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Special Attention:

If you are a constituent of one of the following Senators, you must contact them via phone, fax or in person immediately. Emails might be ignored, so you need to add the personal touch:
    Senator Miller
    Senator Klausmeier
    Senator Zirkin
    Senator Muse
    Senator Miller
    Senator Middleton
    Senator Dyson
    Senator Astle
    Senator DeGrange
    Senator Mathias
    Senator Brochin

Don't know who your representatives are? Find them at MDElect.net.

Is this about the vote on SB281? When is that happening?

G

George

Come on folks we need you there. With out you all showing up like on the 6th, they will think we was a fluke. We need a strong showing at the house.

Get your friends, get your wife and show up.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    Yup, here is their position:

Gun Violence
    SB 281 / HB 294 / SB 266 / HB 375 SB 420 / HB 490
    Bans assault weapons and reduces ammunition magazine rounds. Licenses handguns and increases mental health services for those in need.
    JPR / JUD
    SUPPORT
    (Testimony)

Hearing held in JPR (2-6)
    Hearing scheduled in JUD (3-5)

I'm disgusted and will be contacting them in a moment.

Hurt them at the offering plate!

RustinRifle55

Feb 24, 2013
    St. James MD
    Someone asked if the Catholic church was supporting SB 281. I went on the "Faiths United To Prevent Gun Violence" website and was surprised some of the churches in this group. The group leader said he was pleased that SB 281 made it out of committee. Here are four Catholic groups listed.
    Catholic Health Association of the United States
    Catholic Health Initiatives
    Catholics In Alliance for the Common Good
    Catholics United

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    I plan on going again.

We're counting on folks who couldn't make 2/6 to round up their friends for the final push!

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Someone asked if the Catholic church was supporting SB 281. I went on the "Faiths United To Prevent Gun Violence" website and was surprised some of the churches in this group. The group leader said he was pleased that SB 281 made it out of committee. Here are four Catholic groups listed.
    Catholics United

Anyone who calls himself a practitioner of any Judeo/Christian belief and is anti-gun is a personal embarrassment to me, and has clearly not read their own religious texts very well...

Goateggs

Jan 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Re: the list of senators to be contacted. Is there a particular reason John Astle is on this list? He's my senator and I contacted him last Friday. This is the response I received:
    Thank you for contacting my office to express your opposition of SB 281/ HB294 Firearm Safety Act of 2013. I appreciate your taking the time to share your views on issues that are important to you and I wanted you to know that I am opposed to this legislation.

I believe there has been a marked behavioral shift in America towards violence, and I truly believe America needs to bring back the values of the past.

Today, America’s youth are not engaged in the great outdoors; but, instead, are engaged in the great indoors behind closed doors with unfettered access to television, movies, music, video games and the internet.

Our cultural environment must change if we are to combat the behavioral shift towards violence. This would be a noble crusade for a conscientious change, not more gun control imposed on law abiding citizens who are simply exercising their constitutional rights.

If you would like to follow the status of this piece of legislation, I hope you will visit the General Assembly’s website at http://mgaleg.maryland.gov. The site provides a wealth of useful information about the legislature, hearing schedules, briefings, and bill information.

I value your opinion and welcome any future comments on this or other matters of interest to you.

Sincerely, Senator John C. Astle
    Now I'm not sure I agree with him that a real solution ought to focus on video games and movies; I think there might be more hay to be made in reforming plea downs from armed crime and bringing Maryland into compliance with NICS mental health reporting for starters. But he unambiguously says he opposes SB281. If you're in District 30 and you feel the need to contact him, I'd say something like "Thanks for opposing the forces of evil" or something encouraging like that.

Tashtego

Jan 6, 2013
    Catholics United

Thanks RR. FYI these groups do not define Catholic teaching. The first two are just health organizations. The last two are George Soros funded front groups.

The Maryland Catholic Conference is unfortunately supporting SB 281. But it also can't make Catholic teaching. Its bishops can, but they haven't. All the MCC has done so far is claim that Catholic teaching generally supports gun control. That is interesting but irrelevant, since Maryland already has rigorous gun control.

I just wanted to clarify that yes there are Catholics, as there are Protestants, in coalitions for gun control. But there's no obligation in Catholic teaching for lay Catholics to agree with that. It is different from issues like protecting the unborn, where there actually is clear Catholic teaching.

rnfjr6950

Jun 21, 2012
    Reisterstown
    Do you have some kind of contact information about this? I have looked on the Maryland Catholic Conference website and I cannot find anyplace that they have taken a position on these gun measures pro or con. Not saying I don't believe you, but I'm wondering if maybe someone at MDCC has gone a little beyond their job description or something.

I would be very interested to see there official stance on this.

Maybe the next time they ask for a donation, instead they will get a "Thank you for honoring my 2nd Amendment Rights" note instead of a check . . . or a $0.00 donation.:rolleyes:

Beemerguy

Oct 6, 2012
    If the Catholic Church really is pushing the Anti 2a rally everyone who is catholic should be contacting them and threatening to hit them where it hurts - the offering plate. Do not let your offerings go to the gun grabbers!

I wonder if the Catholic Church would be rallying to support restrictions on the practice of religion.

I am a Catholic...let me assure you that the hierarchy who falls into lockstep with the anti-gunnners doesn't speak for me or many other Catholics.

When Glendenning was pushing his "assault pistols" ban, the Church came out in support of it. I sent a letter to the Archdiocese, reminding them that when I was in St. Mary of the Assumption in Govans many years ago, the School Sisters of Notre Dame never taught me that it was wrong to defend myself, or own the means to do so. I sent my pastor a copy of that letter.

After Mass the following Sunday, I asked my pastor if he'd gotten my letter. He took me aside, and told me he was an NRA Life Member and avid hunter, and that he kept guns and ammo in the rectory...so much for the Church being anti-gun!

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    I am a Catholic...let me assure you that the hierarchy who falls into lockstep with the anti-gunnners doesn't speak for me or many other Catholics.

When Glendenning was pushing his "assault pistols" ban, the Church came out in support of it. I sent a letter to the Archdiocese, reminding them that when I was in St. Mary of the Assumption in Govans many years ago, the School Sisters of Notre Dame never taught me that it was wrong to defend myself, or own the means to do so. I sent my pastor a copy of that letter.

After Mass the following Sunday, I asked my pastor if he'd gotten my letter. He took me aside, and told me he was an NRA Life Member and avid hunter, and that he kept guns and ammo in the rectory...so much for the Church being anti-gun!

Keeping guns and ammo in the rectory doesn't do much good if your organization is publicly supporting gun control. At this point the leadership must be treated like any other entity/company that is supporting this bill.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I'll be there with friends, business partners, family, and neighbors in tow.

But it will do no good whatsoever just like spamming the representatives will do no good. 4000+ people there on Feb 6 and 60 hours of oral testimony and literally stacks of written testimony feet high and SB281 had no problem passing through committee - no issue at all. It was a big laugh for all of them.

You all seem to assume that these people got into politics to represent the people and if you could just make your voice known loud enough that they would then go and represent you. That's not the case. They got into politics to advance an agenda and no amount of "political process" on your part is going to change that.

If we loose this post is why.

1. It did not pass easily.
    2. The house is not the senate.
    3. " I will go but you should not bother" is not much of a rallying cry

Do I have to quote Henry V?
    Well I won't. I have work to do. I have to tell people to ignore comments like this.

Thanks for adding to our burden.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Keeping guns and ammo in the rectory doesn't do much good if your organization is publicly supporting gun control. At this point the leadership must be treated like any other entity/company that is supporting this bill.

I get flashes of wild ideas and opinions that have a slight negative tone and think that my opinion needs to be posted to a web site where a move is on to move in a particular direction different than my own. i don't post.

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    So, the bad news is I'm extremely short on vacation time this year, is there a way I can be helpful on the 1st while only spending a half day in Annapolis? I just can't miss a full day of work right now.

Tashtego

Jan 6, 2013
    It isn't entirely clear to me: when we arrive on Friday morning, where exactly do we go? As in, what room number? Do we go first to register to testify, and if so what room number is that? Or do we go to the 'event' room that MSI has reserved, and if so what room is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom