• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'm loving that the very same teachers from MoCo that I see screeching on social media about the unsafe conditions for returning to school, are likewise posting pictures of their adventures at exploring restaurants in the DC area with their friends and not a single mask visible.

One teacher I know has posted for 4 days straight her outings to 4 different restaurants with 4 different groups of friends.

A college professor whom I know that has framed this entire thing in racial terms and says we all need to stay locked in our homes forever because not one death is an acceptable number is posting pictures of his dining adventures.

Let's face it folks, this has been reduced down to a war on the administration and that if you want to go back to school you are a Trump supporter and that if you detest Trump, you must resist the return to school.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I'm loving that the very same teachers from MoCo that I see screeching on social media about the unsafe conditions for returning to school, are likewise posting pictures of their adventures at exploring restaurants in the DC area with their friends and not a single mask visible.

One teacher I know has posted for 4 days straight her outings to 4 different restaurants with 4 different groups of friends.

A college professor whom I know that has framed this entire thing in racial terms and says we all need to stay locked in our homes forever because not one death is an acceptable number is posting pictures of his dining adventures.

Let's face it folks, this has been reduced down to a war on the administration and that if you want to go back to school you are a Trump supporter and that if you detest Trump, you must resist the return to school.

And Hogan announced he won't be "bullied" into opening schools after T-45 said they need to open...soooo there's that.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    And Hogan announced he won't be "bullied" into opening schools after T-45 said they need to open...soooo there's that.

I'm just astonished that some of the loudest mouths that i am seeing from people that I know personally are those that are out partying like it's 1999.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

I knew we’d be screwed right after trump came out and said the schools need to open up. All the elected haters are going to do everything in their power to stay closed now.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I don’t particularly enjoy being as old as I am but, during this shit show, I am glad to be retired with stable income. If we were both still working, our jobs would have been hard hit. Our neighbor across the way is a principal and was telling us some of the logistical nightmares in trying to start school back under social distancing restrictions. Crazy.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    That says schools will go back to classroom learning in November

Amazing....they are all planning to go back to normal as soon as the election is over

What a "coincidence"

Harford County has already committed not opening in 2020 at all, all virtual in to late January 2021 at this time. No way I see MoCo opening with that news, and my take from local chat boards is vast majority of parents here do not want to send kids to school. The MoCo bussing plan may be just vapor now.

My daughter's HS, they have ~ Six new portable classrooms in the parking lot, just delivered couple weeks ago :lol2:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    That says schools will go back to classroom learning in November
    IMHO, no chance. The teachers' union runs the show here. While they were previously quiet because the district did such a shitty job of implementing virtual learning, they're now feeling bold enough to go fight back against in-person schooling. I'm not entirely unsympathetic to the issues they face, but the way they decided "well, a contract is a contract" is about to cut both ways.

The school district is simply playing for time while they wait for flu season to kick in, and then they'll declare that they can't safely return because flu and 'rona symptoms look so similar.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    IMHO, no chance. The teachers' union runs the show here. While they were previously quiet because the district did such a shitty job of implementing virtual learning, they're now feeling bold enough to go fight back against in-person schooling. I'm not entirely unsympathetic to the issues they face, but the way they decided "well, a contract is a contract" is about to cut both ways.

The school district is simply playing for time while they wait for flu season to kick in, and then they'll declare that they can't safely return because flu and 'rona symptoms look so similar.

When each teacher can pick which platform they prefer, the student can't just go to one to find all their classes. Some were using Google, some the MCPS site. Some used Zoom, some didn't. Very little coordination, structure or scheduling. My son was having one class at 4:30, one at noon via zoom. Some classes never had the teacher live at all. Some were merely check ins once a week. The kids really have to be proactive to find their assignments, and again when spread across multiple platforms, they may miss some.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    When each teacher can pick which platform they prefer, the student can't just go to one to find all their classes. Some were using Google, some the MCPS site. Some used Zoom, some didn't. Very little coordination, structure or scheduling. My son was having one class at 4:30, one at noon via zoom. Some classes never had the teacher live at all. Some were merely check ins once a week. The kids really have to be proactive to find their assignments, and again when spread across multiple platforms, they may miss some.

Even worse for young kids. My son's Kindergarten was a joke. 15-20min with his teacher and the rest of the class 3x per week. The rest were busywork assignments with overly-long videos for kids his age. The math lessons, for example, were hour-and-a-half videos that were nothing but continual repetition with no way to change things up. He got the concept and answers after about 10 minutes each day and then wandered off because the pre-recorded video was so much bull-crap that he didn't need to sit through.

Meanwhile, meaningful music, art, and PE classes (you know, things that actually stimulate kids) got buried.

Edit: I'm seriously considering yanking him and putting him into a Montessori school down the road if MCPS doesn't get elementary school kids back to class in a timely fashion.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ******Several teachers in my area are posting that they want "hazard pay" if they have to go back to teaching kids the old fashioned (4 months ago..) way...:sad20:

These are the same people, as others have mentioned, that are posting pics of their dining experiences in DC, VA, and other localities with fewer restrictions - and..... they aren't wearing masks...

Our area is almost exclusively two income households so I have no idea how this is all going to work. Motivated kids will do well, and the not so motivated will just fall further behind. Folks here have money, and there is a pretty significant underground tutoring and teaching environment here.

I know my neighbors have two kids, and they have hired two tutors - that are MoCo teachers - to basically teach their kids for college prep, and the younger one for prep to high school. The teacher comes by 3x/week for a total of 6 hours and gets paid cash to basically teach the kids what MoCo should be doing with the stupid amount of property and other taxes we pay. I see tons of tutoring signs popping up in the neighborhood and see that parents with means are taking matters into their own hands and just paying privately for their kids.

People will do what is in the best interests of their kids, within their financial and other means of doing so. Private schools, charter schools, private tutoring, etc... It's almost ironic that so many people that think opening the schools would be a death sentence for teachers, kids, and perhaps even household pets and have means to not have to worry about it as much because they have money, don't have to worry as much that *their* kids won't get an education. Probably not a bad way to make some extra $$$ for good teachers... Free market will sort that out rather quickly if kids end up really not going back and having to rely on online learning..

If only we could get the money we spend on taxes on education as a block grant, so the parents could decide what's best for their kids... :innocent0 I have a feeling a lot of not so good teachers, or those just taking up space would quickly not be too happy with school choice...

Hope this wakes some liberals up, but I doubt it...

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    ******Several teachers in my area are posting that they want "hazard pay" if they have to go back to teaching kids the old fashioned (4 months ago..) way...:sad20:

These are the same people, as others have mentioned, that are posting pics of their dining experiences in DC, VA, and other localities with fewer restrictions - and..... they aren't wearing masks...

Our area is almost exclusively two income households so I have no idea how this is all going to work. Motivated kids will do well, and the not so motivated will just fall further behind. Folks here have money, and there is a pretty significant underground tutoring and teaching environment here.

I know my neighbors have two kids, and they have hired two tutors - that are MoCo teachers - to basically teach their kids for college prep, and the younger one for prep to high school. The teacher comes by 3x/week for a total of 6 hours and gets paid cash to basically teach the kids what MoCo should be doing with the stupid amount of property and other taxes we pay. I see tons of tutoring signs popping up in the neighborhood and see that parents with means are taking matters into their own hands and just paying privately for their kids.

People will do what is in the best interests of their kids, within their financial and other means of doing so. Private schools, charter schools, private tutoring, etc... It's almost ironic that so many people that think opening the schools would be a death sentence for teachers, kids, and perhaps even household pets and have means to not have to worry about it as much because they have money, don't have to worry as much that *their* kids won't get an education. Probably not a bad way to make some extra $$$ for good teachers... Free market will sort that out rather quickly if kids end up really not going back and having to rely on online learning..

If only we could get the money we spend on taxes on education as a block grant, so the parents could decide what's best for their kids... :innocent0 I have a feeling a lot of not so good teachers, or those just taking up space would quickly not be too happy with school choice...

Hope this wakes some liberals up, but I doubt it...

Hey neighbor! Seems we live fairly close and I’m seeing the same thing. People looking for tutors and local teachers offering their services. My oldest is supposed to start kindergarten this year... I’m trying to figure out whether I need to get her into some private institution. Local public schools might be doing 2 days a week in class, but not from the beginning of the year. I have no one to watch her at home, do this becomes a major issue. Interesting enough is that all the local day cares and preschools (private, obviously) are open. What a shitshow.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Our private school is also opening as scheduled. They're still figuring out specifics, but as of right now, it will involve some amount of in-person school time.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Our private school is also opening as scheduled. They're still figuring out specifics, but as of right now, it will involve some amount of in-person school time.

The private school where I'm contracted is looking at 50% in-person capacity with two-days on, two-days off, no extra days off (So "A" group would go M/T, "B" group would go W/T, then "A" group would go F/M, "B" group T/W, and so on).

Disinfecting will happen every night for the whole building by electrostatic sprayers, 0.01 micron filters are in place in the HVAC system with a significant amount of the air being refreshed by outside makeup air. Everyone wears a mask except when eating lunch which is done at 6' intervals, etc. etc. While we can't control the kids once they leave the building, we can control how they interact within the school. We're cautiously optimistic at this point that we have a decent game plan.

Make high school completely online permanently, they are old enough to stay home alone. Move the middle school students into the high schools and elementary to middle schools to give them more room.

Lots of money to be saved. Sell the empty elementary schools. You won't need as many teachers because there could be easily hundreds of students in an online class at a time. Wont need nearly as many busses and no books, all digital.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

Yeah funny how these teachers who are so afraid of the possibility of the China bug that they can't go to work to do their jobs, have no problems eating out in DC 3-4 nights a week and later posting pictures of their hanging out at the beach.

You simply can't have it both ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom