• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    I guess Patty and I are SOL then! The minute she saw Mdeng's offer, she called and asked me if we were busy on Sunday!

I guess the fact that I used to teach at the Waldorf campus of UMUC does not count? And before you ask, I actually commuted from Essex to Waldorf twice a week to teach classes at the college center in Waldorf. Got addicted to Wall's Bakery too!
    Still take the class. It took me years to like stuffed ham, no...

I am not from around here. Have lived and worked for +42 years in the county and still considered an outsider. I even married a local girl. Sorry no merit badges for teaching or commuting. :innocent0
    Take the class anyways. Good food and I trust Perrin's recommendations completely. But my wife has her own recipe for stuffed ham. Her family linage goes back to 1644. Each to his/her own mixtures.
    Good eating......:D

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    I guess Patty and I are SOL then! The minute she saw Mdeng's offer, she called and asked me if we were busy on Sunday!

I guess the fact that I used to teach at the Waldorf campus of UMUC does not count? And before you ask, I actually commuted from Essex to Waldorf twice a week to teach classes at the college center in Waldorf. Got addicted to Wall's Bakery too!

Walls Bakery!!! That addiction makes you an honorary SMIB my good man!:D

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Minnonite or amish? You know you aint supposed to bet on a puter right!

I am not from around here. Have lived and worked for +42 years in the county and still considered an outsider. I even married a local girl. Sorry no merit badges for teaching or commuting. :innocent0
    Take the class anyways. Good food and I trust Perrin's recommendations completely. But my wife has her own recipe for stuffed ham. Her family linage goes back to 1644. Each to his/her own mixtures.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD

If Perrin's wife is willing to teach, we will be there! Never to late to learn a time honored skill!

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    I just purchased 5lbs of stuffed ham for $7.00/lb.

A church in St. Mary's is selling the ham as a fundraiser and my coworker was taking the orders. I hope it's good ham. The price was great (some charge upwards of $14.00/lb.).

dpotter58

Oct 21, 2008
    north compton md.
    I believe the preferred way is to have equal ratios of kale:cabbage. I would rather have more kale, and extra spicy.
    I learned how to stuff hams years ago from two ladies, Ruby Lee and Louise Cowen when I worked in the cafeteria at St. Mary's college. I use collard greens and or turnip tops along with kale and cabbage in mine. I cheat and buy the greens frozen. Typically I do a 25-30 lb ham, sometimes boned and tied, sometimes whole. Two big heads of cabbage, three large sweet onion, chopped up coarsely. Depending on what I find as far as greens, I use 2-three bags each. 2 each if I find all 3, 3 each if only 2 kale, collards, turnip tops. Never any problem to make more stuffing, make as much as you want. looks like a lot but it cooks down
    I let them thaw and squeeze the water out, put it all in a trash bag and mix them.
    I use 1 to 1.5 cups crushed red pepper, 1 cup of mustard seed, 1/2 cup celery seed and 1/2 cup black pepper. Sounds crazy but I tell folks it's probably right if you open the bag and it looks like Christmas. :D
    Get a big azz knife and cut some holes. Some folks cut out a core or a plug, some just cut slices. Don't let the holes run together. Jamb as much stuffing as you can in there and then stuff some more.
    I put cheese cloth down, layer some leftover stuffing on it and place the ham on it. Put more left over stuffing on top, wrap the cheese cloth and tie it with butchers twine.
    If I boil it, I put it in a clean white cotton pillow case. If I bake it, just the cheesecloth. Boil 20 minutes per pound or bake it at 300 degrees. Either way, cook it to 165 degrees. let it cool then put it in the fridge overnight.
    enjoy

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I just purchased 5lbs of stuffed ham for $7.00/lb.

A church in St. Mary's is selling the ham as a fundraiser and my coworker was taking the orders. I hope it's good ham. The price was great (some charge upwards of $14.00/lb.).

That is a great price!

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    The class will not be this Sunday. All the hams we have are currently spoken for.

We will set up a class date and location, hopefully we can arrange a commercial kittchen, ours is to small for more than 2 people.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Please do! I usually just buy the stuffing already premade and add more stuff to it as needed. I would like to make my stuffing from scratch this year!
    :thumbsup:

Stuffed Ham - Baked
    20# corned ham
    3#'s onions
    4#'s kale
    3 heads of cabbage
    1 box of mustard seed
    1 box of celery seed
    2 tbsp ground red pepper
    4 tbsp salt
    3 tsp sage
    1 tbsp black pepper

Process the greens and onions into small pieces. Blanch greens for 5 minutes, drain. Add rest of stuffing ingredients to greens and mix with hands. Puncture the ham on top and all sides with a long sharp knife. Insert 4/5 of the stuffing mix into the knife holes (a cookie or jerky gun can be used). Cover the top of the ham with the remaining stuffing mix. Wrap the stuffed ham in several layers of foil (with 1 cup of water). Place ham in large pan, place in oven, cook @ 325 degrees, 20 minutes per pound. After cooking, allow to cool in oven.

Will send boiled recipe in another post. Heading to the gun show ...

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    The class will not be this Sunday. All the hams we have are currently spoken for.

We will set up a class date and location, hopefully we can arrange a commercial kittchen, ours is to small for more than 2 people.

No problem! Thanks for making the offer to teach!

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Stuffed Ham - Baked
    20# corned ham
    3#'s onions
    4#'s kale
    3 heads of cabbage
    1 box of mustard seed
    1 box of celery seed
    2 tbsp ground red pepper
    4 tbsp salt
    3 tsp sage
    1 tbsp black pepper

Process the greens and onions into small pieces. Blanch greens for 5 minutes, drain. Add rest of stuffing ingredients to greens and mix with hands. Puncture the ham on top and all sides with a long sharp knife. Insert 4/5 of the stuffing mix into the knife holes (a cookie or jerky gun can be used). Cover the top of the ham with the remaining stuffing mix. Wrap the stuffed ham in several layers of foil (with 1 cup of water). Place ham in large pan, place in oven, cook @ 325 degrees, 20 minutes per pound. After cooking, allow to cool in oven.

Will send boiled recipe in another post. Heading to the gun show ...

Stuffed Ham - Boiled
    20# corned ham
    7 onions
    1# bag of kale
    5 celery sticks
    1 box of mustard seed
    1 box of celery seed
    1/2 can ground red pepper

Put the ham in a large, deep pot, cover with water, add lid, and cook for 1 hour.
    Process the greens, onions, and celery into small pieces.
    Remove the ham from water. Puncture the ham on all sides with a long sharp knife.
    Combine all of the stuffing ingredients (with juice from ham to moisten) and mix well.
    Insert stuffing mix into the knife holes (a cookie or jerky gun can be used). When finished, wrap ham tightly in cheese cloth. Place ham back in pot. Remove ham from pot when done.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    How do we place an order.??

I was told that the Church is called St. George Catholic Church (not to be confused with St. George's Episcopal Church which is also in St. Mary's).

Unfortunately, I checked with the co-worker this morning and they stopped taking orders las week. The Church is very small and can only handle a limited amount of orders.

I still say that Murphy's Town and Country or Chaptico Market still have the best in the area....and both are still taking orders.

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    I was told that the Church is called St. George Catholic Church (not to be confused with St. George's Episcopal Church which is also in St. Mary's).

Unfortunately, I checked with the co-worker this morning and they stopped taking orders las week. The Church is very small and can only handle a limited amount of orders.

I still say that Murphy's Town and Country or Chaptico Market still have the best in the area....and both are still taking orders.

Thanks just the same. Wife will be cooking one.......I hope! :rolleyes:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    We spent yesterday cutting, chopping, mixing and stuffing hams. Today they will be cooked. Boiled for about 6.5 hours. The house is going to smell wonderful for the rest of the week.

I am waiting for word on a commericial kitchen for the class. I will post a date and price as soon as we have the details worked out.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    We spent yesterday cutting, chopping, mixing and stuffing hams. Today they will be cooked. Boiled for about 6.5 hours. The house is going to smell wonderful for the rest of the week.

I am waiting for word on a commericial kitchen for the class. I will post a date and price as soon as we have the details worked out.

Sounds like a plan to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom