• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Wife orders corned hams from McKay's in Charlotte Hall. She has two recipes she uses (from the St. Maries County Cookbook). One calls for baking, the other boiling. Let me know if you want me to post.

The baked version has much stronger flavor, but is rarely used these days since kitchens were moved from "cook houses" into the living areas of homes. It will stink up the entire house for days. My extended family prefers the spicier variety, so I enjoy the ham, but have to deal with the strong odor in the house.

Feel like posting the recipe for the boiled version?

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    If you like that, you need to try stuffed ham pizza at Chief's in Tall Timbers. Simpy amazing...

Stuffed ham pizza? I just fell out of my chair!! I can't believe I haven't been to Chief's yet. Heard good stuffs about them!

And here I thought Stuffed Ham was a St.Mary's specialty. Met a girl from Waldorf years ago had never heard of it...and now reading the past comments in this thread The Eastern Shore??? Oh well. I'll second the Chaptico Market (you have to do the search to find out where they're at) but I got my original hand written recipe from Mrs. Woodburn in Ridge about 40 years ago and still use that when I'm in the mood to do all the work for one.

I also read somewhere that Kentucky has it's own recipe for stuffed ham that was derived from the southern maryland recipe generations ago when some Mattinglys moved there.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    cheifs is great! He makes the best chicken fruit samich i have ever had!
    Stuffed ham pizza? I just fell out of my chair!! I can't believe I haven't been to Chief's yet. Heard good stuffs about them!

I also read somewhere that Kentucky has it's own recipe for stuffed ham that was derived from the southern maryland recipe generations ago when some Mattinglys moved there.
    them G damn Mattingly's!

SW686

MDS Supporter
    Jul 25, 2012

I had read that a group of St. Mary's County families moved to Kentucky near the end of the War of 1812 to escape British raids.

As for all this talk about stuffed ham, you guys are making me hungry! :yummy:

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Wife orders corned hams from McKay's in Charlotte Hall. She has two recipes she uses (from the St. Maries County Cookbook). One calls for baking, the other boiling. Let me know if you want me to post.The baked version has much stronger flavor, but is rarely used these days since kitchens were moved from "cook houses" into the living areas of homes. It will stink up the entire house for days. My extended family prefers the spicier variety, so I enjoy the ham, but have to deal with the strong odor in the house.

Please do! I usually just buy the stuffing already premade and add more stuff to it as needed. I would like to make my stuffing from scratch this year!
    :thumbsup:

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Please do! I usually just buy the stuffing already premade and add more stuff to it as needed. I would like to make my stuffing from scratch this year!
    :thumbsup:
    I believe the preferred way is to have equal ratios of kale:cabbage. I would rather have more kale, and extra spicy.

Marksman

+1 , That's Eastern Shore Stuffed Ham. :D

Some people on the eastern shore will sub water crest for the kale. This thread reminds me I need to order 6 more hams. Next week is gling to be busy.

McKays is the best but you can get a decent one from Brandy Farms (St Stephens Curhc Road and Rt 3 in Anne Arundel county).

Sorry to tell you this but that is not Southern MD Stuffed Ham. There are many imitations but only one original and that can only come from Southern MD using the time honored recipes we have here (hint: Anne Arundel County is NOT Southern MD).

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Sorry to tell you this but that is not Southern MD Stuffed Ham. There are many imitations but only one original and that can only come from Southern MD using the time honored recipes we have here (hint: Anne Arundel County is NOT Southern MD).
    My grandma had a recipe for stuffed ham that she used water crest she said she got it from Cpt Sam Bailey when she was shucking oysters for him. she used to have me run out to the fur rows in the feilds and pick it for here. she took it to her grave unfortunatley.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    mrs bernedette welch's recipe from the 1964 treasured recipes of southern md.

i corned ham, boned, approx 8 lbs
    2 cups cabbage chopped coarse
    1 lb kale
    1 lb mustard greens
    5 lg onions chopped coarse
    2 cups celelry chopped coarse veggies parboiled for 5 minutes before adding seasoning
    1/8 tsp powdered garlic
    2 tables spoon salt
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon red pepper
    1 tablespoon dry mustard

cook 8 lb ham 30 min in pressure cooker or until 3/4 done.
    cool
    when cool enough make 6 slits 1 1/2 wide opposite the way the ham is cut 2 inches apart and stuff with remainder of ingredients. put ham and any stuffing in a cotton cloth, i use a cotton tea shirt, a new one. fasten so no stuffing can escape.
    place in the kettle on a rack and enough water to cover the bottom of pan about 3 inches deep.cook 15 minutes more or until done.
    you may also use watercresss, more or less onions and more seasoning to taste.

this is the recipe i use and its pretty standard. some st mary folks use mostly all cabbage but thats a personal preference.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

You do realize that many people from Southern Maryland have moved not only across the state but across the country. In many cases people find that they need to substitute ingredients for what is available.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You do realize that many people from Southern Maryland have moved not only across the state but across the country. In many cases people find that they need to substitute ingredients for what is available.

It's the SoMD water that makes the stuffed ham so good.

The trick is to be down stream of a large metropolis :D

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    watercress grows rite here in our parts of the woods! the birds carry it around in their poo poo! I asked my dad about it last night while i was looking for my grandmothers rice pudding and apple cobbler recipes. He said that watercress is from an old recipe that used to float down here in 7D. He said that petered out because alot of people lost a taste for watercress through the years.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    We will be stuffing 6 hams this Sunday. If anyone wants to learn how to make them I can ask the wife if she wants to teach a class.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Can not get the license unless you are a genuine Smib. :lol2:

I guess Patty and I are SOL then! The minute she saw Mdeng's offer, she called and asked me if we were busy on Sunday!

I guess the fact that I used to teach at the Waldorf campus of UMUC does not count? And before you ask, I actually commuted from Essex to Waldorf twice a week to teach classes at the college center in Waldorf. Got addicted to Wall's Bakery too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom