• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • empty5853

Aug 22, 2007
    Mechanicsville
    Hello,
    I apologize up front if this has already been asked (and answered) a dozen times on here but here it goes again.

Can a (out of state) non-C & R person ship a C & R legal firearm to a C & R license holder here in MD

Sorry if it’s confusing.

Thanks

Vr
    Mark T.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Hello,
    I apologize up front if this has already been asked (and answered) a dozen times on here but here it goes again.

Can a (out of state) non-C & R person ship a C & R legal firearm to a C & R license holder here in MD

Sorry if it’s confusing.

Thanks

Vr
    Mark T.

Yes if you have a C&R to accept the gun and its eligible, then its fine. However** Lots of folks and especially dealers refuse to accept a C&R

empty5853

Aug 22, 2007
    Mechanicsville
    If the seller is an "unlicensed individual" (e.g. not an FFL), get a copy of their drivers license.

Thanks

Yes if you have a C&R to accept the gun and its eligible, then its fine. However** Lots of folks and especially dealers refuse to accept a C&R

Yes, unfortunately I’ve come up against
    that mentality before. It’s like the 01 FFL Dealers resent us (03 holders). I guess because they feel we are cheating them out of their transfer fee gouge they hit us with.

Thanks for your replies

Vr
    Mark T.

Jul 1, 2012
    It's more that the FFL-03 can't be verified like a dealer/manufacturer using the ATF website (it takes a little more effort but can be done).
    For MD FFL-03's, add to that the mystery and wonder of Maryland's gun laws.

Alas, and I hate to say it, but some FFL-03's don't necessarily know all the ins and outs and can be a hassle to deal with...
    and can be really demanding whiny beeches - especially when it comes to shipping costs etc - and they ruin it for the rest of us.
    Dealers just don't want to... well... deal with that.
    There are also dealers that don't know what an FFL-03 actually is, or what constitutes a C&R eligible firearm, and couldn't be bothered to learn.
    Just steer away from those guys (there's a thread around here somewhere with some of those listed).

empty5853

Aug 22, 2007
    Mechanicsville
    It's more that the FFL-03 can't be verified like a dealer/manufacturer using the ATF website (it takes a little more effort but can be done).

Alas, and I hate to say it, but some FFL-03's don't necessarily know all the ins and outs and can be a hassle to deal with...
    and can be really demanding whiny beeches - especially when it comes to shipping costs etc - and they ruin it for the rest of us.
    There are also dealers that don't know what an FFL-03 actually is, or what constitutes a C&R eligible firearm, and couldn't be bothered to learn.
    Just steer away from those guys (there's a thread around here somewhere with some of those listed).

Yes I realize there’s more to it then what I whined about. Sorry for that.
    Your reasons are more logical then mine were particularly Maryland’s tyrannical gun laws. It seems as soon as they hear your from Maryland they shut the door and don’t want to do business with you.
    But hey, there’s plenty out there that will do business with me. Enough to keep my pockets empty ; )

Thanks again

Vr
    Mark T.

Jul 1, 2012
    I didn't take your post as whining :)

"But hey, there’s plenty out there that will do business with me. Enough to keep my pockets empty"
    This is so true !

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

and can be really demanding whiny beeches - especially when it comes to shipping costs etc - and they ruin it for the rest of us

Yep, just look at how many basic C& R questions constantly and frequently come up by folks who, as licensees, should know or have the regs readily available to them.

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    For the first month that FFL EZ-Check was available, you COULD validate a C&R license number. But, some folks thought that this compromised their privacy, so DOJ limited the search to 01's only. Obviously, the fellas with the bulges in the cheap suits didn't see where 03 licensees were a threat.

But, I would expect the shipper of a C&R to request both a photocopy of my C&R AND my drivers license. In practice, when I copy my C&R, I just stick my drivers license on the bottom so both are on the same page. About half the time, shippers who refuse to send to a C&R change their mind when I offer my DL.

The biggest reason to NOT get a C&R shipped to you is when it is a HANDGUN; they may only be shipped by UPS or Fedex.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    The biggest reason to NOT get a C&R shipped to you is when it is a HANDGUN; they may only be shipped by UPS or Fedex.

Not quite true. An FFL01 can ship handguns USPS, I have received them by Priority Mail. To the OP, it might be well worth the savings in shipping cost for the unlicnesed individual to find a cooperative FFL01 to do the shipping, even though it would be legal for them to ship it directly.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not quite true. An FFL01 can ship handguns USPS, I have received them by Priority Mail. To the OP, it might be well worth the savings in shipping cost for the unlicnesed individual to find a cooperative FFL01 to do the shipping, even though it would be legal for them to ship it directly.

Correct on all accounts. Many FFLs will only ship UPS or FedEx to C&R holders. But they can legally (and some do) ship USPS to C&R holders. My limited experience is they almost always ship USPS to each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom