• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Is it legal to install a vertical foregrip on a pistol with an overall length of 26.6”?

If it’s above 26”, it’s a “ firearm” by classification.A Vertical foregrip on a weapon classed as a firearm by batfe definition should be legal.

Will this pass muster ?

Attachments

• 22A3571A-C49E-42B0-AB01-2223DCE158A8.jpg
      22A3571A-C49E-42B0-AB01-2223DCE158A8.jpg
      101.9 KB · Views: 2,402

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    IANAL but....

I think the 26" standard goes out the window if the weapon has a folding stock and can be fired with the stock folded.

Tread carefully.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    IANAL but....

I think the 26" standard goes out the window if the weapon has a folding stock and can be fired with the stock folded.

Tread carefully.

A KRISS vector sdp9 with an Sb tactical SBA3 brace that’s fully extended is at 26.1”.

No folding hinge.

Attachments

• ED8BBF0A-1096-4444-B36F-C7792B5E46C5.jpg
      ED8BBF0A-1096-4444-B36F-C7792B5E46C5.jpg
      49.9 KB · Views: 1,228

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Just to be sure. I’m putting on a BCM gunfighter foregrip. It’s a bit angled . Doesn’t fall into the vertical foregrip classification. ( vertical foregrip must be 90degrees from bore axis).

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Just to be sure. I’m putting on a BCM gunfighter foregrip. It’s a bit angled . Doesn’t fall into the vertical foregrip classification. ( vertical foregrip must be 90degrees from bore axis).

Be aware that ATF has confiscated folding brace pistols in CT with VFGs because they claim that a folding pistol brace does not count for OAL. Stocks, yes, braces no. It makes no sense, but that’s the position they took.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Be aware that ATF has confiscated folding brace pistols in CT with VFGs because they claim that a folding pistol brace does not count for OAL. Stocks, yes, braces no. It makes no sense, but that’s the position they took.

The ATF letter above states that the stock must be unfolded , extended to it furthermost position when measuring overall length.

In CT. I think there was a state law that was violated. That case is clear as mud.

Just to be sure, I’m putting on the BCM grip. It’s not a vertical foregrip but classed as an angled foregrip. It should be legal on pistols.

The Kriss is a weird gun. Without a foregrip, it’s hard to operate the weapon correctly. The support hand tends to inadvertently actuate the bolt catch and mag release. Lol.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    The ATF letter above states that the stock must be unfolded , extended to it furthermost position when measuring overall length.

In CT. I think there was a state law that was violated. That case is clear as mud.

It wasn't CT law that ATF used as justification, it was NFA. They are saying their position is that a stock is measured in the most extended configuration. A brace, however, is not a stock, so they measure it collapsed/folded. It makes no sense, but that's what they are saying.

May not have application to your situation, but thought I would throw that out there for anyone else that may read this.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I’m so tempted to write a letter to the NFA technology branch.

But that seems to open up a can of worms. It gives the batfe an opportunity to make things up.

The Franklin Armory xo-26 is a good example . For now, that’s legal.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Batfe rules have changed regarding the measurement method used for the determination of the overall length of a firearm. Especially with braced pistols.

It’s from muzzle to the end of the receiver extension in AR pistols.
    Or measure with the brace in the folded or collapsed position.

On the vector. Since the ar type receiver buffer tube is not essential for the mechanical function of the firearm, it is not counted in the measurement of oal.

Also be aware that braced equipped pistols should not have a length of pull that is longer than 13.5”
    Anything longer than that , reclassifies the brace as a Stock. ( making the pistol an SBR)

So... with these clarifications from the BATFE. My vector will remain a pistol . It can’t have a vertical foregrip as oal will be less than 26” with the recent clarification in the way oal is determined in braced pistols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom