• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Deer don't have upper front teeth(this is a wall mount). They do have molars though.

just looks rut swollen to me...and old looking...

Thats just the inside of its mouth you have to go further back to see the teeth, you can see the one tooth by the green leaf in the pic...Like outrider said no upper teeth, its not a horse...;) Six is normal for lower IIRC..

Boy do I feel dumb, I should of looked up some deer anatomy before posting. Didn't realize the molars were so far back and no upper teeth.
    Wil, I have early trailcam pics of this deer looking like it's half moose.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Got my first crossbow last week! Got my first deer today! Never hunted before.

You know that you can bow hunt from basically labor day to the end of January, right? I used to get a lot more chores done before I got furloughed and discovered bow hunting. I mean anybody can squeeze off a rifle shot from hundreds of feet away, but when you have to get close enough for a shot that the deer can smell you, it is much more challenging. Good luck taming what will no doubt be your new addiction.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    25 yard shot from tree stand at a decent buck with a jacked up rack. Nice broadside shot. Should be double lung. Remington accutip slug. Not one iota of blood. Zip, zero, zilch. Shot about 5 minutes before last light. Frustrated. Taking a break. Uggggh.

BigBull

Dec 23, 2014
    St. Mary's County
    25 yard shot from tree stand at a decent buck with a jacked up rack. Nice broadside shot. Should be double lung. Remington accutip slug. Not one iota of blood. Zip, zero, zilch. Shot about 5 minutes before last light. Frustrated. Taking a break. Uggggh.

I usually don’t get a pass through with the Accutip. Probably an inch or two high and no exit hole. Body cavity full of blood with internal bleeding. One thing for sure, they don’t go far when hit with an accutip. You will find him within 50 yards in the morning.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Never had an accutip fail me. Usually get close to 100% retention. Not too many pass throughs on big bucks, but they do not make it far. As said 99% 50 yards or less.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You know that you can bow hunt from basically labor day to the end of January, right? I used to get a lot more chores done before I got furloughed and discovered bow hunting. I mean anybody can squeeze off a rifle shot from hundreds of feet away, but when you have to get close enough for a shot that the deer can smell you, it is much more challenging. Good luck taming what will no doubt be your new addiction.

Yup, I’ve tasted that this year. In 2 1/2 seasons of hunting now I’ve had a crossbow just for this one. I have had to withhold shooting three times, when a deer wasn’t running, with my ML in that time because a deer was too far away or didn’t present an ethical shot. Zero with a shotgun or rifle (a lot less time hunting with a shotgun or rifle).

So far this season I didn’t have a shot 4 times because a deer was out of range and I could have ethicallly taken it with a rifle or shotgun (or ML). It can be a little frustrating, but I am getting used to shrugging and realizing next time I need to set my stand up a couple dozen yards over or I see a trail I hadn’t before.

Of course next time the deer has probably moved elsewhere :-D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Doh. Most my hunting partner for the rest of the season. His schedule is packed and wife is sore at him for some crap he pulled earlier so he doesn’t want to rock the boat.

Looks like I am doing a Greenridge on my own next week. Probably going out early Friday morning (which means getting out there around 8am) to still hunt around and get the lay of the land. I’ll use my stand Saturday probably. Any suggestions on which section to try that might not be AS bad for hunter pressure and isn’t going to leave me hiking a mile+ from my car and dragging one back out over mountains.

Oh or more importantly is accessible from a car (and not a truck). I’ve hiked the C&O along there a number of times and driven through+Hiked around Greenridge a couple of times, but not in several years.

I should also at least be able to connect with my buddy to get some suggestions, but I figured I’d ask here first in case he ends up being too busy the next few days.

PS I may end up going out Thursday after work instead, getting there probably a little before sunset, IE not much scouting time.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Boy do I feel dumb, I should of looked up some deer anatomy before posting. Didn't realize the molars were so far back and no upper teeth.

I'm sure most of us have had that same revelation :lol2:.

I do think your deer has that "moose head" dealy. It looks just like the pictures. :thumbsup:

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Found him first thing this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20171202_071503517.jpg
      IMG_20171202_071503517.jpg
      141.4 KB · Views: 179
    • IMG_20171202_073838349.jpg
      IMG_20171202_073838349.jpg
      115.5 KB · Views: 177

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Kept it quiet and used the crossbow today
    This one dropped and expired in just a couple minutes
    What is it with fawns pooping all over themselves?
    This happened with one of them last year
    893f473386cb4b8343d9ae355f529e43.jpg

d28bf637d3f8537c2d295e0a1ffec5b3.jpg

e735c7908aa8085d938b547f0da56626.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

You scare the crap out of them! Nice shot Melnic.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Man, rough afternoon today. At 2:30 I had a small buck and a nice 8 come flying into my stand. Unfortunately it was the stand I wasnt in, and could do nothing but watch through my field glasses. I almost always hunt that stand in the afternoon, but switched because the 8 had been showing on camera at the feeder in front of the one I was in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Interesting...I'd prob play it safe then also...not like theres a shortage of deer there;)

nice!

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

Nice tracking job.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Hey, Melnic

Now that you've caught your breath from tracking down your deer, who makes that handy dandy corn spitter outter thingy hanging in the tree?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom