• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    2 (3).jpg

m1 (3).jpg

IMG_8238 (2).jpeg

Last of the M1 parts, a put together on a grade C receiver and rebuild stock.
    I used a cbi barrel and dressed it out with a brand new Jim Thompson sling.

Too muddy to roll around on the ground today though, so I just shot off the back of the pick-up with a rest.

I used flrs hand-loads with 4064 and fmj bullets. Surplus ball I have around has some long cartridges in the clips so I wasn't comfortable relying on the hammer to close the bolt until everything gets broken in a little bit.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The M1 Garand is about the most magnificent rifle ever designed and built. They are extremely satisfying to shoot...and even better when they shoot and grip like that one. John Garand was a mechanical genius of the first order...he not only designed the rifle but the tooling required to build it.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Nice group.

On the front of your hoodie.

Just kidding, nice looking rifle.

The pictures do violate MDS policy however since there are no feet visible in the pictures with a firearm.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nice group.

On the front of your hoodie.

Just kidding, nice looking rifle.

The pictures do violate MDS policy however since there are no feet visible in the pictures with a firearm.

I see a paw...er, uh, a hoof...er, um...a foot!

;)

Attachments

• 2 (3).jpg
      2 (3).jpg
      80 KB · Views: 421

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Outstanding! One of my faves. VV N135 is even better than 4064 or 4895, which are both excellent in the Garand. (My opinion, YMMV).

bbaick

Nov 6, 2013
    View attachment 251948

View attachment 251949

View attachment 251950

Last of the M1 parts, a put together on a grade C receiver and rebuild stock.
    I used a cbi barrel and dressed it out with a brand new Jim Thompson sling.

Too muddy to roll around on the ground today though, so I just shot off the back of the pick-up with a rest.

I used flrs hand-loads with 4064 and fmj bullets. Surplus ball I have around has some long cartridges in the clips so I wasn't comfortable relying on the hammer to close the bolt until everything gets broken in a little bit.

Just out of curiosity, how did you learn how to put this together? Are you a gunsmith, or did you learn on your own. I've been tempted to take a CMP class to learn how to make my own M1. They also have lots of great resources, available for free online.

http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armorers-corner/

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Not a gunsmith just a regular bubba smith. I started out at about ten years old when the old man gave me junk guns to take apart and put back together to keep me quiet. 40 some odd years later I continue to build my own stuff not because I have to, just because I enjoy it. If your interested in assembling an M1 I would recommend a cmp armorers class. By the time you buy and acquire a few basic tools you have to make sure you use them enough to warrant the expenditure, you generally will be outside of the cost of just obtaining a decent rifle, not to mention specific safety details and tolerances inherent to the design. Ive never been to one but would like to just to learn.
    I think pairing up with others who have a similar interest could help spread out costs, share tooling and exchange ideas and skills. Clubs would be a great place to start and I'm sure there are others who would like to do the same thing it just may not happen as much in today's climate.

That's a damn shame if you stop and think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom