• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    So the title is confusing i guess but I'm trying to decide on a pistol caliber pistol with brace. I'm not a big fan of the CZ scorpions I have shot. The sig MPX I shot was amazing but super expensive. So what am I left with? I've got a Rugged Obsidian 45 in jail and want something fun and quiet to put it on. I've looked at a pistol cal AR build but quality and reliability seem to be hit or miss. Suggestions? Should i just buy a hi point PCC to use? I was thinking 40 over 9mm so I could throw 180-200 grain bullets vice 147.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    So the title is confusing i guess but I'm trying to decide on a pistol caliber pistol with brace. I'm not a big fan of the CZ scorpions I have shot. The sig MPX I shot was amazing but super expensive. So what am I left with? I've got a Rugged Obsidian 45 in jail and want something fun and quiet to put it on. I've looked at a pistol cal AR build but quality and reliability seem to be hit or miss. Suggestions? Should i just buy a hi point PCC to use? I was thinking 40 over 9mm so I could throw 180-200 grain bullets vice 147.

If you buy a Hi Point and want to use your can, the 10mm is the only facroty threaded Hi Point you can get. Finding a smith to thread a Hi Point is an option, but you will need to call quite a few to find one that will do it. I had to send my 9mm Hi point out to Tornado Technologies in Oregon to get threaded

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    In defense or AR style pistols, I've built two and both run flawlessly. I like the idea of a .40 build. Uh oh, now I've gone and said it...

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Suppresors are really not that effective on .40 cal. You will be much happier with subsonic 9mm.

9mm ARs run great. They just have to be built properly. MP5 pistol clones are also a great choice for suppressing.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Suppresors are really not that effective on .40 cal. You will be much happier with subsonic 9mm.

9mm ARs run great. They just have to be built properly. MP5 pistol clones are also a great choice for suppressing.

Why do you say they're not very effective on 40? First I've heard that.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    In defense or AR style pistols, I've built two and both run flawlessly. I like the idea of a .40 build. Uh oh, now I've gone and said it...

I might need your advice doing a AR PCP in 40.... Really don't feel like doing a 9mm with Glock, MP5, or Colt mags. Already have a Glock 40 cal, so going with a AR PCP in 40 makes sense.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC

I might need your advice doing a AR PCP in 40.... Really don't feel like doing a 9mm with Glock, MP5, or Colt mags. Already have a Glock 40 cal, so going with a AR PCP in 40 makes sense.

Sounds like we just started a group build. Let me know what parts to order........

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    Take a look at CMMG. I have a Banshee .45 that uses Glock magazines (actually run SGM 26 round extended mags, love being in FL). Other features are a Tailhook Brace, last round hold open and the radial delayed blowback system that suppresses really nice. Using an Octane 45.

The Banshee is available in 9mm, .45, FN5.7, and some other calipers. Pistol callers have a 5" barrel. They also have the Guard that has an 8" barrel and uses the Shockwave brace.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Why do you say they're not very effective on 40? First I've heard that.

To clarify, I have not shot a .40 can in about 4 years. But I remember it being noticibly louder than a dedicated 9mm can. It was a .40 Osprey, I just looked it up and Silencerco discontinued it.

.40 does lose a lot of its power advantage when subsonic. You only get about 10% more force from 180gr .40 over a 147gr 9mm. (I'm going off memory here, be kind). I dumped my .40 pistols when I started buying suppressors. I never really liked them very much anyway.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Take a look at CMMG. I have a Banshee .45 that uses Glock magazines (actually run SGM 26 round extended mags, love being in FL). Other features are a Tailhook Brace, last round hold open and the radial delayed blowback system that suppresses really nice. Using an Octane 45.

The Banshee is available in 9mm, .45, FN5.7, and some other calipers. Pistol callers have a 5" barrel. They also have the Guard that has an 8" barrel and uses the Shockwave brace.

Doesn't look like the have anything in 40. Also i thought most AR pistols weren't on the roster so they werea no go?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    To clarify, I have not shot a .40 can in about 4 years. But I remember it being noticibly louder than a dedicated 9mm can. It was a .40 Osprey, I just looked it up and Silencerco discontinued it.

.40 does lose a lot of its power advantage when subsonic. You only get about 10% more force from 180gr .40 over a 147gr 9mm. (I'm going off memory here, be kind). I dumped my .40 pistols when I started buying suppressors. I never really liked them very much anyway.

22%, not 10% = 180/147-1

Does not matter what the caliber is 300 blk, 308, 357, 10mm, 40 cal, 9mm... the power is governed by the weight of the bullet assuming you get the top of subsonic speed, say 1100 ish fps. Top of range speed is fixed. Put somewhat differently, a 147 subsonic bullet will have the same energy regardless of cartridge, assuming you get top of range speed. 300blk you can get a 220 gr bullet to (say) 1100 fps, so you get 220/147-1=49% more energy. But a 220 gr bullet subsonic in a 308 Win cartridge will have the same energy.

The advantage of a bigger cartridge like 300blk is that you get a heavier bullet to top of subsonic range (1100fps).

I have rifle cans and pistol cans, I am not sure why a 40 cal can would be inherently louder. Mostly all I hear on my rifle is the action cycling. Could be your "subsonic" load was supersonic in a long barrel. Could be a poorly designed can (the fact that its discontinued suggests as much).

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Industry attention has caught up with 9mm ARs, much easier to buy or build a reliable one than it was just a couple years ago. Really heavy extended buffers, better feed angles, good LRBHO designs, dedicated receivers, and so on. Have been impressed with an FM products GLOCK mag lower i based a PCC build around, good fit/finish, good latch setup, reliable LRBHO, they can be found stripped, built as a lower, or built as a complete pistol.

I want to build one for the wife. She would love a light weight setup in NINE

This little PCP only weighs about 5.5# without optic, using a 7.5" QC10 barrel & lower, (can't remember upper make) SBA3 brace and 7" Aero rail. could probably get down to 5# with a lighter barrel and rail. Feels lighter than that with the the balance of it.

20181121_082928.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom