Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Old August 23rd, 2021, 09:10 AM #1
Blissfully Oblivious

Blissfully Oblivious

Dry-Spell Broken: Walther PDP

It had been well over a year since I bought a new handgun. I did pick-up a lightly-used, 1991-vintage West German Sig P220 back in May but, I hadn't purchased anything new-new since June 2020. That's a record dry spell for me but, going to gun shops in 2020 (and most 2021), seeing all the long lines, panic-buying, price-gouging, lack of inventory and no ammo on the shelves pretty much sucked all the fun out of it.

And handgun-wise, there just didn't seem to be much going-on, either. The factories were all backlogged on a year's-worth of production and the priority for them was (and still is) optics-ready-everything. Walther released the PDP back in February to great industry fanfare and claims of being the greatest thing since sliced bread but I already had a PPQ 45 and a 5" PPQ 9mm. The last thing I really needed in my collection was another 9mm with a voracious appetite, yet, I always wondered how good the PPQ could've been if Walther had paid as much attention to making the rest of the gun as great as its trigger?

Enter the PDP - Performance Duty Pistol. So its basically the next generation of PPQ with some significant upgrades in grip texturing, slide serrations and fully-adjustable iron sights. It's optics-ready (but the mounting plate isn't included) and the trigger is supposed to be slightly improved. Honestly, I can't tell if it is? I won't get to shoot it until next weekend but, just dry-firing it a few times it feels exactly like my PPQ's, which is to say, it's outstanding. Full-size models come with two 18 round mags but, its available with 10-rounders for poor unfortunate schmucks who live in states like Maryland.

Couldn't find a PDP locally but Euro Optic has been my go-to for just about everything lately and they shipped it free to my FFL. I don't think I really overpaid hideously: $599 + tax seems to be the going price for Walther PDP's in any configuration right now.

Walther provides potential buyers a lot of choices. The PDP comes in two frame sizes (full-size and compact) and three barrel lengths (4, 4.5 and 5"). There is quite a bit of backward compatibility with the PPQ. It uses the same mags and the PDP's slide can be made to work on the PPQ's frame.

The biggest appeal of the PDP is probably its optic-readiness (to an extent). Walther will provide owners with one free optic mounting plate for their new PDP's. All you have to do is let them know what optic you're gonna use. I hear that turnaround time from Walther is 2-3 weeks right now? I'm leaning hard towards a Holosun 507/508 but need to look at others to compare.
Zzzzz_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2021, 10:31 PM #2
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

When can I shoot it?
Old August 24th, 2021, 04:19 AM #3
Blissfully Oblivious

Blissfully Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
When can I shoot it?
Knowing how much of a Walther-fan you are, I can't wait for you to shoot it!

Hard part is gonna be selecting a red dot but, I've narrowed-down my choices during the last couple of days.
Old August 24th, 2021, 05:59 AM #4
Dating Scarlett Johansson

Dating Scarlett Johansson

Nice purchase - looks like you will have fun with it.
Old August 24th, 2021, 07:36 AM #5
Blissfully Oblivious

Blissfully Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkus View Post
Nice purchase - looks like you will have fun with it.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to giving it a try this weekend with the iron sights.
Old August 29th, 2021, 11:46 AM #6
Blissfully Oblivious

Blissfully Oblivious

Just got back from the range and honestly, the PDP didn't knock my socks off. Love the trigger and the full-size grip. They're huge improvements but, otherwise, it's not all that dissimilar from my PPQ. I expect that'll change once I mount an optic on the PDP, though.

I don't usually shoot steel plates without first putting a new pistol on paper to determine POA/POI but, this is a Walther. I knew it would be pretty close straight out of the box. Hitting 6" plates at 10 yards was fast and easy even with the super-lame factory iron sights. When I moved over to the 3" plates on the tree, though, I experienced several misses but started getting into a groove after 20 rounds or so. This is where a proper sight-in would've made a big difference. Those 3" leaves on the tree look even smaller when they're painted green.

But if Walther knows how to do anything, they know how to put the very best possible trigger in their pistols. This thing is unreal. I can say without any reservations that the PDP's trigger is better than my PPQ's. It's lighter, crisper and has a more tactile feel on reset. The full-size grip with the new texture is a huge improvement over the PPQ. I don't have excessively large hands but, I didn't pinch my shooting hand even once when changing mags. Love it!

I'm very satisfied with the PDP but, clearly, it was designed for a red dot sight. To that end, I've settled on a Holosun 507 that I'll order in the next couple of weeks after I order the mounting plate for it from Walther.

So, the question remains: if you already have a PPQ, is there any reason to run right out and buy a PDP? Well, yes and no. Walther has given it just enough upgrades to make it something that PPQ owners will appreciate and desire but I sure wouldn't sell a PPQ just to replace it with a PDP. If your PPQ is primarily for home defense and range fun, get a PDP and order an optic for it. Keep your PPQ. It's too good to sacrifice.

Last edited by Zzzzz_man; August 29th, 2021 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old August 29th, 2021, 11:58 AM #7
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

Great photos, Z. Appreciate the comprehensive range report. I love the look of the slide on the PDP. Surprised that the irons aren't the same as with the PPQ. Very curious what your group will look like when you move to shooting paper.
Old August 29th, 2021, 12:41 PM #8
Blissfully Oblivious

Blissfully Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
Great photos, Z. Appreciate the comprehensive range report. I love the look of the slide on the PDP. Surprised that the irons aren't the same as with the PPQ. Very curious what your group will look like when you move to shooting paper.
Me too! I think I was missing most shots low and left. The irons are fully adjustable for windage and elevation, though.
Old September 2nd, 2021, 06:00 PM #9

Great photos and info, thanks. I never got into the PPQ game so this might be worth picking up in a 4 inch barrel compact.
Valmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2021, 10:05 PM #10
Blissfully Oblivious

Blissfully Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmet View Post
Great photos and info, thanks. I never got into the PPQ game so this might be worth picking up in a 4 inch barrel compact.
You're welcome! The PDP is one of many great choices and the 4" compact would've been my second pick if the full-size 4.5" hadn't been available.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns