• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    I built my farther an AR-15. I purchased the lower here in MD and built the gun accordingly. Now that its built i would like to gift it to my farther where he lives in PA. Do i simply need to transport it properly and meet him at an FFL in PA??

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    If it is a MD legal (HBAR) configuration you could also meet him at a Maryland FFL. Or both of you go to a VA FFL. However it's done, to be legal transfer across state lines has to be done at an FFL.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If it is a MD legal (HBAR) configuration you could also meet him at a Maryland FFL. Or both of you go to a VA FFL. However it's done, to be legal transfer across state lines has to be done at an FFL.

Just to clarify, the transfer must be done by the FFL you are meeting at. Not just done “at an FFL”.

I think we all knew what everyone meant by “at an FFL”, but just wanted to be crystal clear.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Just to clarify, the transfer must be done by the FFL you are meeting at. Not just done “at an FFL”.

I think we all knew what everyone meant by “at an FFL”, but just wanted to be crystal clear.

Just to be even clearer. The gun needs to to be transferred to the FFL in PA, put on the books by the FFL, and then a 4473 background check done by the FFL before a transfer. Expect a fee for this service

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Just to be even clearer. The gun needs to to be transferred to the FFL in PA, put on the books by the FFL, and then a 4473 background check done by the FFL before a transfer. Expect a fee for this service

yes i figured a fee would be involved! I am taking the gun up to PA where he lives this weekend. Then from what i now understand we would go to somewhere like Cabela's to do the transfer! Is that right.

tcc722

Jul 3, 2010
    PA
    yes i figured a fee would be involved! I am taking the gun up to PA where he lives this weekend. Then from what i now understand we would go to somewhere like Cabela's to do the transfer! Is that right.

Correct. Unless something has changed, cabelas takes forever for transfers. I went a few years ago, and it was a 3 hr process. I would go somewhere else. 15 min, in and out.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Correct. Unless something has changed, cabelas takes forever for transfers. I went a few years ago, and it was a 3 hr process. I would go somewhere else. 15 min, in and out.

This. Find a local gun store near your father. Call ahead to ask.

Cabelas and bass pro take a long tome on their own guns. I’d imagine if they do facilitate a transfer between parties it’ll take ages.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    This. Find a local gun store near your father. Call ahead to ask.

Cabelas and bass pro take a long tome on their own guns. I’d imagine if they do facilitate a transfer between parties it’ll take ages.

yes i called both and a few other FFL's i know up there. My problem is we need to do it on Sunday cause of our schedules. So i was stuck to using one of the big box stores. But i am super confused cause when i called them for fees and times...they said i dont have to transfer because its son to father. But if i really really wanted to and pay the $35 fee we can do it...but the law doesn't! require it.

I would prefer to do it so the lower is out of my name and in his name...but they seemed to not want to do it cause it was not necessary and they are always so busy.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    When they say that, they are focusing on their State Law , Federal prevails in this case, and you need to use FFL .

But no matter what , nothing is Ever " removed from your name " in Maryland .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom