• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Mine didn’t even call any of my references. Maybe they wanted to expedite the process and make sure my ammo was well protected?

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    You will be observed through the mirrored windows of the lobby prior to the interview, with notes being taken on your appearance/clothing, mannerisms, nervousness, etc.

You'll be asked to sign an honor/truthfulness policy at the start of the interview

The questions I thought were a bit too invasive:
    What do you intend to carry.
    Crimes as a juvenile, even those not known to law enforcement.
    Driving record.
    Drinking habits, frequency of drinking event, quantity during event.
    All prescription drugs you're currently using.
    Mental health care received for PTSD, depression, alcoholism, drug abuse, or other mental disorders.

If you're on psychiatric medications (per a list they have) or have a history of "mental disorder" you'll need a signed memo from a doctor per a memo you'll be given by the investigator.

So, did you get it?

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    She told you you couldn’t pocket carry a .38 Revolver?

I did not take like that , I took it like she was thinking semi-auto . I could have read it all wrong .

I think cops are curious as well , because once I got pulled over the cop ask me what kind I was carrying .
    Sometimes just like us here when we post "what are you carrying" type question .

Last edited:

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Mine asked what kind of firearm I planned to carry. I said I had not made a decision on that, and asked what she would recommend. She said it was MSP policy not to respond to that question. ...And she moved on to other questions.

50BMG should have been your response!

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    So, did you get it?

The portal changed to "approved" within 24hrs of my doctor's note being uploaded. It took a while to get an appointment so the investigator, supervisor, and licensing division had all completed their efforts by the time I added it to the portal.

At least one weight loss drug is on the list of memo-required medications, because it is a combination of two drugs that are used to treat depression and alcohol/narcotics dependence, even though it is not FDA approved for treatment of either disorder.

Extramile

Jan 1, 2020
    Western MD
    The portal changed to "approved" within 24hrs of my doctor's note being uploaded. It took a while to get an appointment so the investigator, supervisor, and licensing division had all completed their efforts by the time I added it to the portal.

At least one weight loss drug is on the list of memo-required medications, because it is a combination of two drugs that are used to treat depression and alcohol/narcotics dependence, even though it is not FDA approved for treatment of either disorder.

Is there access to that list of drugs?

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    When asked what I planned on carrying, my response was(in jest)..."...you know what I own... you pick."

Extramile

Jan 1, 2020
    Western MD
    Ok interview done. Seemed very matter of fact. Had a good vibe. I was early and the appointment before me was late so he did mine first. Started with the truthfulness statement and asked a few questions off a form. He seemed very accommodating. Said I should be getting a response in a week or so. Fingers crossed

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Mine was 90 minutes!
    Asked what other guns I owned.
    Needed a letter from my Dr. for the 10 percocet from 11 months ago, and wanted to talk directly to someone @ Dr. Office to confirm letter, NOT having to be prompted "press 1" etc.
    So, 90 minutes f to f, 4 more emails, two more phone calls, CC statements (business), Dr. letter. etc etc. lol

I did not need a business license!! I'll say that again, I did not need a business license. I could not get a date, she seemed like she needed one. I could not get a smile! But, Hell, I enjoyed it! More to the story that seems to go against popular belief.

Please don't quote this post, it will self destruct in 24 hrs. :tinfoil:

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I did not need a business license!! I'll say that again, I did not need a business license. . :tinfoil:

There’s a lot of confusion about licenses. Licenses are required in certain businesses: retail, contractors, medical practices, car dealers, real estate, etc. But not every business has licensing rules or requirements. Many industries don’t, so there’s no license to have or show. However, with Articles of Inc (or of Organization), tax statements, CC and bank statements, payroll receipts, etc., you can show it’s a real business without needing a license.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    There’s a lot of confusion about licenses. Licenses are required in certain businesses: retail, contractors, medical practices, car dealers, real estate, etc. But not every business has licensing rules or requirements. Many industries don’t, so there’s no license to have or show. However, with Articles of Inc (or of Organization), tax statements, CC and bank statements, payroll receipts, etc., you can show it’s a real business without needing a license.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First, good luck OP it shouldn’t be long now. Not trying to highjack your thread.
    RK, you are 100% correct in reality, but as shown in our state and some others, the licensing scheme is formulated in an alternate universe. My point in saying “no BL needed”, twice, goes out to the various places that offer the course and will tell you it is a necessity if applying under the guise of being a “business owner “ keeping many good people from applying I am sure.

Follows directions: “D”.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Been in business 50 years , we have no license but have Fed. ID # and retail sales tax numbers . Many years ago in our type of business you did not need one , and it was a different time . Not sure if i need one now or not and i really don't care to have one .
    All of it is BS as well as the permit scheme as far as i am concerned .

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Been in business 50 years , we have no license but have Fed. ID # and retail sales tax numbers . Many years ago in our type of business you did not need one , and it was a different time . Not sure if i need one now or not and i really don't care to have one .
    All of it is BS as well as the permit scheme as far as i am concerned .

Business licenses depend on the county. In HoCo for example you need one (and can only get one) if you carry over $10K in inventory. If you are primarily a labor based business you don't need and they won't issue you a business license.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Prior to interview asked me to have my references and wife call him, which seemed silly since he had no real way to confirm who was calling.
    At interview I signed form then asked about stuff on my application for any inconsistencies. I had a copy and referred back to my answers. Then moved on to:
    What I’ll carry
    How often i go to bank
    How much average deposit
    Juvenile crimes
    Drug use
    Asked 2x why I don’t drink alcohol
    Had to explain difference between sole proprietor and incorporated 3x.
    Had to explain business license not required but still registered with state and have trademark.
    Asked if all info in my application was truthful which was weird.
    My perception after a few calls and interview was he either didn’t like me, his job, lacked personality or was just totally business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extramile

Jan 1, 2020
    Western MD
    I had a totally different impression. Things went very smoothly. Thought he was very personable and made some small talk etc. I had a good feeling n

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    My interview was very smooth. My interviewer as very personable and we went over the application and I more or less was asked to repeat the info I put on the application, which I understand they're looking to see if you fudge some details or suddenly lock up or change demeanor on some portions. It may seem dumb, but they don't make the rules and they have their game to play. Being combative and standoffish with the interviewer won't change the process and can only sabotage whatever chances you may yourself have. Ernst Junger has some really good books about the subject of living in an oppressive state, namely The Forest Passage which is a pretext to one of my favorite books, Eumeswil.
    Everything went well for me, and I just had to follow up with my references to make sure they contacted my interviewer. My permit showed up in the mail about two weeks later.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My interview was very smooth. My interviewer as very personable and we went over the application and I more or less was asked to repeat the info I put on the application, which I understand they're looking to see if you fudge some details or suddenly lock up or change demeanor on some portions. It may seem dumb, but they don't make the rules and they have their game to play. Being combative and standoffish with the interviewer won't change the process and can only sabotage whatever chances you may yourself have. Ernst Junger has some really good books about the subject of living in an oppressive state, namely The Forest Passage which is a pretext to one of my favorite books, Eumeswil.
    Everything went well for me, and I just had to follow up with my references to make sure they contacted my interviewer. My permit showed up in the mail about two weeks later.

Uh, they actually DO make the rules. The interview is just made up policy by the MSP. It's not in statute or COMAR.

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    I would be curious how they would react once I apply for the permit since I'm profoundly deaf.

Once I have completed everything for the permit, Could they just flat-out deny me based on the policy by the MSP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom