• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PF Flyer

Sep 8, 2010
    So I'm thinking of adding a .308 bolt action rifle, 18 to 22 inch barrel, to my collection. And I'm on a tight budget. I'm thinking about either a Remington 700, Remington 783, Savage Arms Axis II XP, or Ruger American. Your thoughts, the good, the bad, and the ugly?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    My Ruger American Predator shoots 1-1.5" groups with most hunting ammo. The stock feels like crap but the trigger and action are nice.

I wish I had bought a longer barrel version so that the velocity was greater for longer distance shots.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Much will depend on what you intend to shoot, and how you intend to shoot it. If you are just popping paper at a slow-fire <300yd range, probably better off with better rifle in a less expensive caliber. Hunting usually benefits from a light weight rifle with absolute precision not being as critical, longer ranges, suppressor use, or any number of other things might benefit from one model over another. There are things a Ruger Precision rifle topped with a 6-24X can do that a lightweight Rem 700 topped with a 1-6X can't and vice versa.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Tight budget will mostly keep you out of the PR. I'm not convinced the modern Remington's are a good choice. Back in the day, yes.
    Thompson Center Compass gets some good reviews about their 5R rifling comes threaded and can be found on sale around $250-$300.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Savage are known for accuracy out of the box.

Remington 700 is the AR or 10/22 of bolt action rifles. Everyone makes everything for them. Heck, you can actually build a custom one without a single Remington part, as there are aftermarket receivers.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    I am a fan of my Ruger Gunsite Scout. It is a 16 barrel which is super handy deer hunting. Anything 300 yards and closer is a simple shot for me. Never shot it any further than 300. I love the stock, action and trigger. I've got a leupold 3-9 on it.

RangerWillrett

Jun 20, 2011
    Mineral Co WV
    I have the Ruger American and I upgraded to the Magpul stock. I highly recommend it and wouldn't hesitate to buy it in another caliber. I also have some experience with Savage and if I don't buy another Ruger I would buy a Savage.

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    To muddy the waters further, very happy with my howa 1500. Much better then my recent remington purchases.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I also love my howa 1500. Out of the box with some reloaded ammo, I was easily hitting a 8" gong at 300 yards. (First time shooting past 100 yards)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It's hard to go wrong with any of your choices in 308. Howa, Remington, Savage, Ruger, Tikka, etc. all make very respectable bolt guns in 308. 700 has the best after-market, but also tends to be the most costly of the bunch (excluding maybe Tikka).

That said, when you're playing at the low end, the cost of your rifle is often the least expensive part of the full system. Optics, bipod, improved chassis/stock will often cost much more than the actual rifle does. The suggestion to go to 223 if you're not shooting past 600 is a good one, but the choices become a little more interesting in that caliber.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Savage. Out of the box with factory loads.

Attachments

• C75FBABC-10F1-4BEB-B15F-A15B2561FDFB.jpg
      C75FBABC-10F1-4BEB-B15F-A15B2561FDFB.jpg
      65.2 KB · Views: 429
    • F7FE6402-D38D-4E17-A247-28DF301C1BA6.jpg
      F7FE6402-D38D-4E17-A247-28DF301C1BA6.jpg
      61.8 KB · Views: 425

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    With all the news about Remington maybe going under from those lawsuits I am glad I decided to go the Howa 1500 route a few years ago. Started with the 1500 Heavy Varmint in .308 and went from there.

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    Ruger M77 - CDNN has them for pretty cheap. Longer barrel than you wanted but try it and cut down later if the extra length bothers you. It's a robust design that works well, just not a ton of aftermarket support if you are looking for something to tinker with a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom