• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Are there any implications of this and NYC? Or other cases?

If this is moving is NYC going to be mooted? Maybe? Will others start moving?

And yeah, I think no one is 100% certain, just wondering what the legal folks here think.

Edit: saw dans response too late...

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It did! It was like a precision guided missile, succinct, highly effective, total destruction.

see 3rd paragraph page 4

3rd para below:

Respondent insists that “most applicants who apply for a permit to carry a handgun for self-defense are granted permits that allow them to publicly wear, carry, or transport a handgun for self-protection.” Opp.11, 13. That is both misleading and ultimately beside the point. First and foremost, respondent does not and cannot deny that petitioner Malpasso and any similarly situated Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association member cannot obtain a carry permit because the general desire to carry a handgun for self-defense does not qualify as the requisite “good and substantial reason.” Pet.App.18a. Whether other applicants who seek to carry handguns for reasons that the state deems “better” are granted permits does not make the regime any less unconstitutional as to petitioners.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    For us simple folk, what does this mean now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The likely scenario is that nothing happens now. The case doesn't get re listed, granted or denied. It'll join all the other cases waiting for the NYSRPA outcome.

I'd be shocked if anything else happens.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Will delay it as long as possible, then issue some minor/narrow implicating opinion in NY case, send all these held cases back to the lower courts to start the process all over again. Dragging it out for another 4-5 years.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    3rd para below:

Respondent insists that “most applicants who apply for a permit to carry a handgun for self-defense are granted permits that allow them to publicly wear, carry, or transport a handgun for self-protection.” Opp.11, 13. That is both misleading and ultimately beside the point. First and foremost, respondent does not and cannot deny that petitioner Malpasso and any similarly situated Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association member cannot obtain a carry permit because the general desire to carry a handgun for self-defense does not qualify as the requisite “good and substantial reason.” Pet.App.18a. Whether other applicants who seek to carry handguns for reasons that the state deems “better” are granted permits does not make the regime any less unconstitutional as to petitioners.

I had to read that paragraph three times to parse the negatives.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I am not sure what you are expecting. They did not deny cert, which is a good thing. The next conference is not until 21 Feb so they will not likely relist any cases until 18 Feb. Given that most 2A cases are currently being held, it is likely that they will not relist this case. Hurry up and wait.

Correct. If the Court reaches the merits in NYC, then all these 2A cases will be GVRed. If the Court fails to reach the merits (because of mootness) in NYC, then the Court will likely pick another 2A case to take up on the merits and the rest will continue to be held.

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Originally Posted by jcutonilli

“I am not sure what you are expecting . . . .”

Seems to me you are assuming that I expected something.

Regards
    Jack

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    How does Robert's participation in the impeachment trial affect the court? It has to put off other work.

No. SCOTUS meets in the mornings. That’s why the Impeachment stuff is occurring at 1pm on.

Also a ton of the heavy lifting is from the law clerks.

I doubt the impeachment is effecting anything SCOTUS related.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Asking the question I asked in The other thread:

How, if at all, would the proposed yearly training bill effect this?

Believing As noted, that the regime now is restrictive so much to be challenged, the effect would only seem to make it more restrictive.

Just thinking out loud here.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back on page 10 , and here :

Prior to Oct 1 , 2013 " civillian " aka Not Armed Security, SPO , Private Investigator , had zero training requirements for W&C .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom