Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues

Notices

Old December 23rd, 2016, 04:46 PM #1
In a State of Denial

In a State of Denial

Rep. Hudson to introduce Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017

Quote:
Republican Congressman Richard Hudson from North Carolina is set to introduce national concealed carry legislation for the next congress after Donald Trump is sworn in as president.

The bill, known as the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017, will allow a person with a concealed carry permit in one state to carry a handgun in any other state that permits residents to conceal carry, as long as the person is not banned from possessing or transporting a firearm under federal law, The Daily Caller has learned.
As written, NR permits will allow carry in other states ETA now to include MD for MD residents
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017.pdf (42.8 KB, 445 views)

Last edited by swinokur; January 4th, 2017 at 07:07 PM.
swinokur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 04:47 PM #2

The Poison Pill Bill .
Biggfoot44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 05:42 PM #3

Mr. Hudson and others of like mind have got to change the language to include we disenfranchised states. A permit from any state should do the trick.
MSI Executive Member (Former Board)
SAF - Life Member
NRA - Life Member (Benefactor)
AZ, FL, MD, NH, PA, UT, VA Permits

PLEASE CONSIDER JOINING MSI

rambling_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 05:50 PM #4
Huckleberry Dillinger

Huckleberry Dillinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambling_one View Post
Mr. Hudson and others of like mind have got to change the language to include we disenfranchised states. A permit from any state should do the trick.

I agree. If they want to help us, they should be willing to help us ALL.

The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections.
j_h_smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:28 PM #5

May be I am missing something. However, I respectfully disagree with OPs assertion. The bill as written would allow someone to conceal carry with a non-residential conceal carry permit in their home state.

Two reasons:

1) the bill doesn't have a residency requirement. Page 2, Line 17 makes it clear that any Conceal carry Permit (no distinction made between home or NR) issued by a State will suffice and fall under national conceal carry reciprocity irrespective of residency.

2) The bill does not treat home-state issued permits vs non-residential issued permits differently, but empowers both equally. At least that is my interpretation.

This would mean a resident of Maryland or NYC could obtain a Non-Residential conceal carry permit issued by another state and they would be able to carry in their home state.

With that said IANAL, but we will have a very pro-2A USAG and DOJ.

Happy Friday
Defense Rifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:42 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambling_one View Post
One step at a time. Let's not penalize the rest of the country because of the few. Once they get something close to this passed, then places like MD and governor Hogan will be under more pressure to correct things. We can't have cake AND icing. lol
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:44 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense Rifle View Post
May be I am missing something. However, I respectfully disagree with OPs assertion. The bill as written would allow someone to conceal carry with a non-residential conceal carry permit in their home state.

Two reasons:

1) the bill doesn't have a residency requirement. Page 2, Line 17 makes it clear that any Conceal carry Permit (no distinction made between home or NR) issued by a State will suffice and fall under national conceal carry reciprocity irrespective of residency.

2) The bill does not treat home-state issued permits vs non-residential issued permits differently, but empowers both equally. At least that is my interpretation.

This would mean a resident of Maryland or NYC could obtain a Non-Residential conceal carry permit issued by another state and they would be able to carry in their home state.

With that said IANAL, but we will have a very pro-2A USAG and DOJ.

Happy Friday

"and who is
14 carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant
15 to the law of a State and which permits the person to
16 carry a concealed firearm or is entitled to carry a con-
17 cealed firearm in the State in which the person resides,)
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:52 PM #8

Yep. When you think of it, they are doing what is right for their constituency, to restore their rights with the least risk via a 10A challenge. As much as it sucks for us in slave states, it is hard logic to argue with.

I don't think we will ever see NR reciprocity. Creating a new FFL class similar to a C&R on steroids that would supersede State carry, possession, transport, and transfer laws, seems like the best way for us in slave states to regain our rights in the short-term without (as many) 10A issues. The idea is not to replace state based reciprocity, but provide another avenue for those that cannot get a home state permit, or want additional Federally granted privileges such as direct Internet sales.

I also would like to see congress gut DC's registration, transport, and may-issue laws, but with Wrenn being potentially the strongest SCOTUS contender, I don't see that happening anytime soon either.
swamplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:53 PM #9
Rottie's Rule!

Rottie's Rule!

Be careful what you wish for Gentleman, do you really want the Federal Government to be the issuing agency and therefore the "country's policeman" in keeping a registry of gun permit holders with
the ability to use that information for any purpose they, (another Obama Administration type or worse) deem necessary?? No thanks, this should be a State run proposal not a Federal.
Designated Collector
MSI and SAF supporter
Maryland Regulated Firearms Dealer
MD, VA, FLA, UTAH CCW Holder
torched02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:54 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by torched02 View Post
Be careful what you wish for Gentleman, do you really want the Federal Government to be the issuing agency and therefore the "country's policeman" in keeping a registry of gun permit holders with
the ability to use that information for any purpose they, (another Obama or worse) deem necessary?? No thanks, this should be a State run proposal not a Federal.
They would not be issuing anything, just making CCW permits recognized like driver's licenses. Now, if this was a national CCW permit, that would be different.

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues