• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amickey1979

Feb 15, 2008
    Easton, ES of MD
    I am in the market for a new Glock 9mm. I am torn between the G17 which I have shot and am fairly acccurate with or the G34 which has a longer sight radius. The pistol will be used for paper punching and maybe, if I ever get around to it, competition. Looking for honest opinions. I have priced them out and the cost difference is minimal.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I have 17 and 19. I've shot the 34 and will get one someday.

If it were me, I'd get the 34 and then a 19. I'd skip the 17 altogether. I like it, but I actually shoot the 19 better, so what's the point of the 17?

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    I am in the market for a new Glock 9mm. I am torn between the G17 which I have shot and am fairly acccurate with or the G34 which has a longer sight radius. The pistol will be used for paper punching and maybe, if I ever get around to it, competition. Looking for honest opinions. I have priced them out and the cost difference is minimal.

What Gen Glock? The G17 and G19 come new in Gen 3,4 and 5.

Benjamin

May 30, 2017
    Westminster
    Paper and possible competition? Definitely the 34. It's honestly not going to be a mind blowing advantage over the 17, but since you want it as a range gun why not go with something that gives you the most bang for your buck. Not sure why people are recommending the 19, sure it's still plenty capable for what you want, but the 34 is clearly a better option. If you were planning on carrying as well then it would be between the 17 and 19. But otherwise stick go with the 34. Longer sight radius, longer barrel, what is there to lose?

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    The frame on the G34 and G17 are identical. Get the 34 and when your budget allows it you can buy a complete G17 slide and then you'll have both. Slides can get a little pricey, a new Gen 3 G17 slide will run you $350 to $375 on Gunbroker, but it's still cheaper than buying a whole brand new pistol. Just another option to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom