• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Anybody recall the incident when a guy went in there and committed suicide in the sporting department? Reading another thread made me remember being there with my old man when he picked up our first store bought gun. We were there the night before and traveled with him when he had to stop by the yard for something. It was in the early to mid seventies and was quite an event for back in the day. What I'm wondering is, if that is where the idea comes from with this bore lock thing or is there any relevance to that incident.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    No, a bore lock would not have prevented that suicide. If I remember he went in, bought a shotgun and a box of ammo, then he loaded it and shot himself in the head.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    He bought the shells across the street at Bart's. Then he jumped up on the counter where all the guns were locked together with a cable.
    MW stopped selling all guns, rifle, pistol and shotgun just after that.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I bought a Winchester Model 94 from Monkey Ward in 1979. That was my first Deer Rifle. Had a scope put on it and killed my first deer that same year.

Those were the day!

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Anybody recall the incident when a guy went in there and committed suicide in the sporting department? Reading another thread made me remember being there with my old man when he picked up our first store bought gun. We were there the night before and traveled with him when he had to stop by the yard for something. It was in the early to mid seventies and was quite an event for back in the day. What I'm wondering is, if that is where the idea comes from with this bore lock thing or is there any relevance to that incident.
    Man, you just reminded me if the Two Guys store...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    How about Korvettes and Cooks, the old man loved going there when we went to Baltimore. I was pretty young when that went down but I thought the ammo was nearby the guns which was part of the problem. I also do remember that the ammo was from Bart's too but all that was quite a while back and was the case now that I think about it. I was just wondering if any of the incident had any bearing that many years later. I can clearly remember the shotguns being in the Aisle and having unrestricted access. The aisle faced the outdoor automotive section south and the elevator was behind and to the right. Clear as a bell because it was a 20 Gauge bolt action gun that was actually for my older brother and I can still see the wire racks that department stores used that were vinyl coated. We were there in the evening and it may have been right before the holiday season. I still have the gunand my children used it for turkey hunting when they were young.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Didn't he do some crazy stuff with some broads or something? What about Harley burgers? Nobody will remember them I bet. And what exactly were they anyway but dam they were good. There's a seafood joint there now near church street and next to where Bojangles used to be. I used to go around there a lot with the old boy because all the people he knew and my uncle lived in Glen Burnie and we would have to go and get him from the beer gardens after all the fights.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I remember that incident.

Im a little younger that a few of you but I remember my parents letting me go down the big plastic slide next to MW. it must have been 30ft tall. The handle on the burlap bag ripped off in my hand and my forearm skidded across the hot plastic i hit nasty friction burn and the kid working the ticket line just told me to find my mom and have her put ice on it.

Ah the 70's where when kids got hurt you spanked them, and nobody sued anybody.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Ya'll can talk all about those stores. I'll take a well outfitted Sunny Surplus any day. Anyone remember the barrels of military Surplus rifles next to the counter?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I cant quite remember that but what a great place. Thats where my four digit Win m17 came from. We used to get field jackets and the blemished Levis jeans and long underwear there and I do remember it was on the east side of Crain hwy and then moved across to the side where they sold concert tickets. or maybe that was H and H in town. The door was on the corner of the building in the first spot and it was all plate glass windows with like inert mortar rounds and ordnance hanging from strings next to the big paper advertisements. That is my earliest memory and it moved shortly afterwards. There was a white castle or Howard Johnson's hamburger place right across the street. The type with the porcelain tile and the stainless steel hamburger drawer with stools by the counter. I just seen the contents of an old Sunny's ammo can a few weeks ago and was shocked at the contents of the ammo it contained. Boy are those days long gone in enbloc clips and linked 1/2 inch stuff. No wonder Im a permanently deplorable no good lying full of hate madman from being exposed to such insanity at such a young age. The Horror. And the slide ARGGGGG.

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    The way I remember it, the guns were locked in a vertical rack, so you couldn't remove them. You could work the action, just not remove the gun. The guy slipped a shell into the action, leaned over the muzzle, and.....

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The Monkey Wards in White Marsh had them behind the counter and locked up. I don't remember if you could work the action or not. Seems like a lot had to go perfectly right for that man to commit suicide.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The way I remember it, the guns were locked in a vertical rack, so you couldn't remove them. You could work the action, just not remove the gun. The guy slipped a shell into the action, leaned over the muzzle, and.....
    I vividly remember them in a vertical rack but just had a green cable laced through the trigger guards.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I vividly remember them in a vertical rack but just had a green cable laced through the trigger guards.

I worked part time in the MW in Laurel in Sporting goods in the early 70s. The long guns were in fixed vertical racks. As I recall they were arranged much like the side racks in a gun safe...about three deep with a lockable bar across each group of three. There was very little open space above the muzzles. The hand guns were in a movable locked display case. At closing the display case was rolled back against the vertical long gun racks and a heavy pocket door was closed in front of them and locked. We had our share of idiots doing crazy things with unloaded firearms, but never had a round fired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom