• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    A laser is not a cure-all. No matter where the gun is pointed when you decide to pull the trigger, what matters is where the gun is pointed when the firing pin hits the primer.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Let's admit it: the Ruger LCP is more accurate than a NAA 22lr. Sometimes we really have to focus on the 'conceal' part of concealed carry. Folks can say 'dress around your pistol', but sometimes our pistol has to fit our dress, otherwise we'll stick out in the crowd more than the firearm will.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm the resident person accused of having unrealistic accuracy expectations from small guns. And even I would think an ( average person's) palm sized group (offhand) at 15yds would be a freak occurrence with a gun of this type.

Explaining further about above phrase of "this type " : In micro sized guns like this, it is the pure size of the gun that is significant factor in quasi-practical accuraccy, moreso than the actual cal . ( Rapid fire control can be different, not so much slow-ish accuraccy .) Whether.22lr,.25acp,.32acp, or .380acp .

Phrased another way; A .25acp sized gun chambered in .380 should be thought of as a .25acp that hits harder on both ends, not as a PPK/s shrunk to fit in your watch pocket

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    I'm overall pleased with my LCP2. It is a tool for a job. That job is when SHTF. I'd rather have a tiny snappy close range point and shoot gun than to have nothing at all.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wait til the bad guy gets close and throw the gun at him. You'll score six hits!

Just kidding OP. I've always considered these types of guns as last resort weapons at almost hand to hand range. Like jeffie7 says, "close range point and shoot gun".

IANB (I Am Not Blaster)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Wait til the bad guy gets close and throw the gun at him. You'll score six hits!

Just kidding OP. I've always considered these types of guns as last resort weapons at almost hand to hand range. Like jeffie7 says, "close range point and shoot gun".

IANB (I Am Not Blaster)

Everyone has an inner Blaster :)

15 yards with a .380? Not a fan. "something is better than nothing" rings true but if that something isn't effective, you got nuthin'. Being a good and accurate shooter means you need to know your shooting self first. I suck with little .380 mouse guns, even worse in a moving defensive situation. I'd probably end up shooting 7 other people in Starbucks and not the bad guy.
    If I had the element of surprise, I'd have to close the gap and pop a few into his grape. Proximity and caliber dictate how I am going to do what.

All this .380 talk makes me want to get rid of my G42 :)

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I put about a box through my new LCP2, and was pleased to see that most of the holes were in an 8" circle at 25 feet. Recoil was less than expected for such a small, light gun. Had to send it back, though, as the magazine was dropping out after every shot.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    The LCP is not a pleasant gun to shoot for me but what I carry. At 20 Ft I can keep the LCP on a paper plate at a rate of one per second, but any faster maybe I'll hit an arm or leg. With small guns, typically my first shot is in the center then it falls apart. The Colt Mustang is my favorite small gun and am much more accurate with that than LCP, it is single action trigger. I just don't want to carry a gun that takes two steps to fire though. I think so many perceive threats as yards away, when I believe Zimmerman shows how close they really are most the time.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I think so many perceive threats as yards away, when I believe Zimmerman shows how close they really are most the time.

This is exactly why I'm not too worried about accuracy. At bad breath distance the Ruger is great.

cb51

I think so many perceive threats as yards away, when I believe Zimmerman shows how close they really are most the time.

This is exactly right!!!!

Aside from growing up in a bad neighborhood in N.E. Washington D.C., I put in time as a police officer. ALL the shootings I saw that were a criminal assault or civilian self defense shooting took place at almost contact distance. Just about arms length.

If you have to use a gun for self defense, it's going to be a very up close and personal event, that's over in a few seconds and a few shots. You won't even have time to sight, just point and shoot.

Most people are carrying too much gun. Too big for a pocket. You need a small pocket gun like the LCP so you can slip a hand into the pocket and have it right in hand ready to pull and shoot if things start looking hincky. If you have to have a holster belted on under a cover garment because your gun is too big to fit n your pocket, you're already stacking the deck against you. A little .380 in the pocket that your hand is already on, beats sweeping a cover garment aside and pulling from a holster.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    . If you have to have a holster belted on under a cover garment because your gun is too big to fit n your pocket, you're already stacking the deck against you. A little .380 in the pocket that your hand is already on, beats sweeping a cover garment aside and pulling from a holster.

Depends on what pocket. Coat pocket? maybe. Pants? Not so much. Especially if someone is already drawn down on you.
    I'm pretty sure I could draw a full size, holstered pistol off my belt, out from under a garment faster than you can draw a mouse gun out of a pant pocket. It doesn't take that long to draw.
    Also if you have a grip on that pistol, you're basically trying to pull a fist out. Try that out of a jeans pocket. It's not that quick. Pistol in between thumb and palm in a bladed hand would be faster, but then you have to get your grip.

Contact distance as well? See if I allow you to get that hand out of your pocket while I'm still able to draw and lob a couple into your gut. Nothing like restricting your own movement at hands on fighting distance.

I like coat pocket carry with my LCR because I'll just shoot right through it. That's the best way. When it's coat weather of course.

But like I always say...... It's your shoot, so shoot it the way you shoot.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    ... The Colt Mustang is my favorite small gun and am much more accurate with ...

I concur; your Mustang XSP is the nicest 380 that I've shot. I think my first shot with it was close to dead center (15 or 21 ft?). So lightweight and negligible recoil.

I like coat pocket carry with my LCR because I'll just shoot right through it. That's the best way. When it's coat weather of course...

Good point. If pocket carrying, a coat pocket with a DA revolver has advantages.

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    After lurking for years, I am finally a member and can now properly participate... so here goes...

I really liked the LCPII, when looking for a pocket pistol it was that or the Sig p238. I found the Sig was more comfortable in the hand and more accurate, but the LCP was lighter and generally easier to conceal (plus no cocked hammer sticking out). There are also quite a bit of decent holsters, so you don't have to just stick it in your pocket. When shooting, I found it very accurate at about 7 yards (as accurate as any full sized pistol) and still capable of hitting a plate sized target at 15/20 yards, but with much more effort.

After purchasing the LCPII, I had some issues right out of the box. It would drop the magazine after the first round was fired. I contacted Ruger and they were great, said that it was most likely a spring and offered to fix it. The turn around time was about a week. The LCP was flawless for 2 range sessions. It was accurate and ate all the different brands of ammo I put through it. However, after the last cleaning the issue came back. I must have dislodges something with my cleaning brush. Once more it drops the mag after a shot or two fired. I have to contact Ruger and have them take a look at it again.

To me the LCPII is/was the perfect pocket pistol, but I am starting to worry about reliability and the p238 is beckoning me back. Have any of you guys experienced anything similar. I did read of mag drop issues on the internet, but was curious if anyone here has any fist hand exp (I hope this does not count as a thread jack).

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    After lurking for years, I am finally a member and can now properly participate... so here goes...

I really liked the LCPII, when looking for a pocket pistol it was that or the Sig p238. I found the Sig was more comfortable in the hand and more accurate, but the LCP was lighter and generally easier to conceal (plus no cocked hammer sticking out). There are also quite a bit of decent holsters, so you don't have to just stick it in your pocket. When shooting, I found it very accurate at about 7 yards (as accurate as any full sized pistol) and still capable of hitting a plate sized target at 15/20 yards, but with much more effort.

After purchasing the LCPII, I had some issues right out of the box. It would drop the magazine after the first round was fired. I contacted Ruger and they were great, said that it was most likely a spring and offered to fix it. The turn around time was about a week. The LCP was flawless for 2 range sessions. It was accurate and ate all the different brands of ammo I put through it. However, after the last cleaning the issue came back. I must have dislodges something with my cleaning brush. Once more it drops the mag after a shot or two fired. I have to contact Ruger and have them take a look at it again.

To me the LCPII is/was the perfect pocket pistol, but I am starting to worry about reliability and the p238 is beckoning me back. Have any of you guys experienced anything similar. I did read of mag drop issues on the internet, but was curious if anyone here has any fist hand exp (I hope this does not count as a thread jack).
    Outstanding 1st post. I've not experienced the mag drops (yet). I have 9mm version of the SIG P238, but I seem to have gone the other way (from SIG P938 to Ruger LCP I) for carry purposes. It probably has something to do with the weather and how I dress.

When it comes to a range gun, I don't fire either of them for practice. I switch up to a full sized gun (SIG P228) and I use a 22lr conversion kit. I bang as many rounds out as I can using 22lr. Then I switch to back to 9mm for fewer than 50 rounds.

I do however, fire my LCP and P938 cold (and from a carry position - I know not all ranges allow this). This does two things - it confirms the pistols will function flawlessly when they will need to and it confirms that I'm able to do my part. Other than that, I try to minimize the rounds that go through these pistols, and I also minimize the cleaning (I don't clean the guns after every range session).

This is just how I do things. Everyone does things differently.

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    I have been a lot worse with cleaning the last few years. My Army time ingrained cleaning after every range session, but (alas) shooting multiple firearms at a time and having children make that quite impossible. That is why I had multiple range sessions with the LCPII with no issues - until I cleaned it. When I can carry, I carry a Springfield XDS 9mm, but due to summer clothing wanted a smaller, lighter option. As far as the LCP dropping magazines, I believe the issues have been with the LCPII, not the previous models... but I might be wrong on that. Still, I was and still am quite impresses with the accuracy of the little pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom