• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leBjA

Mar 2, 2013
    So the CMP is drained...pretty much.

I'm preplanning to purchase one. Filling out the form.

Can I send the CMP form with CC/Bank check and just wait for them to fulfill the stock and send me one? I think I read that on the CMP site somewhere.

Realistically Im open to spend around $1,000 but not much more for a nicer shootable CMP Garand that has some history, but willing to do some minor finishing work on it ex. stock oil sanding etc.

Should I aim for the:
    Garand Special Prices Start @ $1,030
    or
    Garand Special Field Grade @ $830

on the http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/ site Item #'s are listed but not prices? How do I fill out the order form if i know what item I want but not the price?

Worth it to just call CMP?
    Are they inundated with questions like this all the time?
    Will they take the time to answer such questions or provide me w/ prices so I can fill out the form and allocate the funds and just wait for it to be in stock & show up?

AJ
    USCG Reserve
    Current firearms Glock 19 & Ruger 10/22

Orlando

If you send a order for something not in stock they will throw out your order
    The rifles listed on their web site with prices are what is in stock, the others are not in stock and may or may not be available in the future

ramchoker

Jan 14, 2014
    St. Mary's City
    I was concerned that the CMP might run out of M1 Garands before I got a chance to get a better one that the one I have been shooting, so on 4 March I ordered a $830 CMP Special M1 since the website said they had no $1030 ones in stock. When they got my order they e-mailed me to say they had no $830's but did have $ 1030's, did I want to change my order. Well, yeah! The rifle arrived about 3 days later, and it was beautiful, like getting a new one. I have been too busy to shoot it yet, but who cares? The important thing is HAVE another M1, especially one this sweet. Mine was a Springfield Armory receiver too which was a bonus.
    Call CMP sales and see just what they are selling at the time you have your application package ready. Then you can order and send a check for what they want, or a credit card number then you are covered for either Special rifle. They say the $830 one has some pitting on the receiver, but that probably won't be that noticeable and won't affect function anyways.
    Just make sure you have everything they ask for in the application package so you don't have to be contacted to square something away.
    I was amazed at the efficiency of the CMP filling my order, and am super satisfied with my "new" Garand. And I know it is safe to shoot with no further work.
    Dick

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    If it's a special it's refinished and should have a new stock and a new barrel.

A field grade special will be refinished, have a new stock and a receiver with parked over pitting. Not something you can fix. Most importantly the ones we have looked at have a lot of wear to the sight serrations leading to loose sights. Again, not something you can easily fix and will frustrate you if you get into match shooting.

Your best bet is to get your paperwork together (club and marksmanship). Wait for service grades to go back up for sale and then send it off right away.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Don't send in a order for something that is not on their web site that is not currently being sold. And the only M1 that is being sold is the special Field grade for $830 or one of the sniper M1's. You'll just have to wait until they put other grades up for sale. You'll probably see Field and/or service grades be offered by the end of the year. Also remember this, once the CMP posts them up for sale, get your order in as quickly as you can! So check the site often! And be prepared to wait! My first M1 I purchased in 2014 and waited over 6 months before it shipped. Also don't forget Ammo! If you reload you shouldn't have a problem but it you don't the M1's should only safely shoot M2 ball Ammo. Have you joined the CMP forum? Here's a link. http://forums.thecmp.org There's plenty of info there! Good luck to you!

leBjA

Mar 2, 2013
    So I finally got my M1 from the CMP, photos to come soon.
    I purchased a Service Grade and stickied for WWII service. Unfortunately I received a SA 5.9 serial # w/ non-matching SA# barrel (I'll post soon w/ photos) from what I believe is '55-'56. I'd really really really like a receiver that was from the WWII era. any suggestions on how to do so?

Keep ordering CMP Garands? maybe a service or rack grade? stick w/ service grades?
    Search around for trades or matching serial #'s?

Also if anyone is or knows an Admin/Moderator on the CMP forum could they please approve my profile so I can post my M1 info on the M1 CMP forum. I havent been approved yet.
    my username there is lebja.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Plan a trip to either the CMP North Store or the South store and hand pick from what is there. The up side is sometimes they have things in the store that are not listed for sale on the on line store because the stock is very limited. The down side is it is a long trip and maybe they won't have anything you want.

Option two buy from the CMP on line auction where the rifles are described in detail with lots of pictures. The down side is auction rifles are the better quality and rarer collectors items and they go for high dollar prices.

The rest of us take the luck of the draw and sometimes we win sometimes we loose.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    WRA Field grades are available mail order and I believe they were only manufactured during WWII. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that. The up side of a field grade is that you'll probably get USGI wood also and not the new CMP wood.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I purchased a Service Grade and stickied for WWII service. Unfortunately I received a SA 5.9 serial # w/ non-matching SA# barrel (I'll post soon w/ photos) from what I believe is '55-'56. I'd really really really like a receiver that was from the WWII era. any suggestions on how to do so?

That 5.9 million should be a great shooter, I have a 5.8 million that is mostly correct and it shoots great. Barrels are not serial numbered to guns, the number on the barrel is a drawing number but it is not a serial number. That date on the barrel makes sense for it being in one of the last runs at Springfield so it is likely original to the rifle.

Clifjr is correct, Winchesters were only made during WWII and tend to be more desirable than other manufacturers so ordering one of those might be the way to go. Really tempted to grab one myself.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    So I finally got my M1 from the CMP, photos to come soon.

1) The barrel is most likely original.

2) When it comes to manufacturing quality, the 5.9 SA's were the best Garands ever produced. Ever. You are luckier than you may know.

3) You could probably find someone more than willing to trade a WWII SA service grade straight up for a 5.9 SA.

4) Personally, I would hold onto it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom