• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    This year's MACA show will happen on March 21-22 in Timonium, (as usual).
    This is a world-class arms show; if you've never attended, you will be pleased and surprised. (There are no modern handguns; otherwise plenty of C&R, black powder, Civil War, Revolutionary War, WWI, WWII arms and militaria, as well as plenty ethnographic arms from every corner of the planet.

(Cross-posted in the C&R section)

Attachments

• MACA 2020.jpg
      MACA 2020.jpg
      78.5 KB · Views: 1,124

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    This is the one show in the entire region that I consider a 'must-make' show. Everything else is the usual collection of 1911s, Glocks, ARs, and AKs. This one...has the exotica. At least the antique exotica. But they are high-quality antiques.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Made this one last year, will be there again. Exotica doesn't describe it. Samurai outfits, medieval suits of armor, rusted swords, cannons and dang near any pre plastic firearm.

I'll be repro shopping again, can't afford the real stuff. Gatorade and granola bars to keep from getting dehydrated (it was hot inside and freezing outside). Lunch burgers on site was OK.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    This is the one show in the entire region that I consider a 'must-make' show. Everything else is the usual collection of 1911s, Glocks, ARs, and AKs. This one...has the exotica. At least the antique exotica. But they are high-quality antiques.

Now this sounds like my kind of show! I'll have to try to make it to this one.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I had to miss last year (for the first time in a long time) since I was in the middle of my search and rescue training last spring… so I've got 2 years worth of pent up frustration to get out of my system.... suggest that nobody walk slowly in front of me once the doors open :)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have been counting the weeks since I think the last one was over.
    I'll be there looking to add to my Civil War collection and maybe some others. I passed up a Lithgow SHTLE in fair shape and fair price and came back and it was gone. Won't happen to me again. Gotta go with my gut.

Just to look at an original Lemat revolver is worth the admission.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The only problem with this show is that I really can't afford to spend $30K or so. And I could, easily. My #1 want item at this point is a cased pair of dueling pistols. Flintlocks. Yes, originals. Those tend to start out at $20K-ish.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I’ll be there. Have an uncle that always has a table at the show. I keep hearing how amazing it is to attend. This year I will find out. Tried to make time to go last year and the year before but kept getting stuck at work.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    This might be a good place to boost for new members.

Members get in free, and also get in Friday, when the dealers are setting up. Cherry-picking is a gas, until you run out of money.

The club meets once a month, yearly dues is $40, which gets you into an August crab feast, and there are fascinating presentations at the meetings, especially if you're into military weapons and history. The club needs young blood; don't miss out on the opportunity to learn from people who have several thousand years of combined experience!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    This might be a good place to boost for new members.

Members get in free, and also get in Friday, when the dealers are setting up. Cherry-picking is a gas, until you run out of money.

The club meets once a month, yearly dues is $40, which gets you into an August crab feast, and there are fascinating presentations at the meetings, especially if you're into military weapons and history. The club needs young blood; don't miss out on the opportunity to learn from people who have several thousand years of combined experience!

Not sure I qualify for the "young" you are looking for but... How do you join?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Not sure I qualify for the "young" you are looking for but... How do you join?

You come to a meeting as a guest, invited by a current member. You fill out an application and attend a certain number of meetings - 3, IIRC - after which you become a conditional member. After coming to more meetings you become a full-fledged member.

The process is a bit clunky, and I believe they're looking at a way to streamline it.

The meetings are in Catonsville at a Knights of Columbus hall. Second Friday of the month. Meeting starts at 730, but most people come early; folks bring stuff to show and tell or sell. Books, guns, militaria, and so forth. Refreshments available - chips, pretzels, Chex Mix. Beer is available; don't think it's free, but I don't drink it so I dunno. Once they had free pizza.

First half hour is the actual meeting: introducing guests, minutes read, reports by various committees, Q&A, and for members there's a drawing for a half-dozen books. Then a break, then the presentation of the day. Meeting over usually by 9pm.

Last meeting the presentation was based on an album of old photos taken in the Pacific theater of WWII. A member found the album on sale at the last show, did a fabulous job of research, identifying many of the people (MacArthur for one) and ships, and even identified the photographer, who was apparently detailed to follow Mac around and document the scene. It was remarkably interesting to see and hear.

If anyone's interested in attending, let me know.

Next meeting there will be the annual auction, usually comprised of stuff that is taking up too much space. I got 3 pistol rugs, suitable for tiny pocket handguns, for a buck, and a genuine cowboy straw hat from a guy's hunt in Wyoming a few decades ago, it its original box(!) for three dollars. The money goes to the club treasury. (They also donate to various groups whose interests run parallel with the club's mission; several hundred bucks to a boy scout troop to go to some sort of jamboree, money to a Civil War museum, and like that.)

Nice bunch of folks.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    do they sell different kinds of black powder percussion caps also ?

Not a good place to stock up on modern shooting supplies, unless you are looking for genuine antique/vintage ammunition, original boxes, vintage ammo collectables, etc. They ammo that is usually for sale there is hard to find stuff and is usually quite pricey. This is much less the "beef jerky and Chinese assisted opening knives" kind of show, and much more a "walking around in a museum where you can buy stuff", kind of show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom