• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BonnieNoClyde

Oct 30, 2014
    Southern MD
    Subscribe to this thread to stay up-to-date on Rimfire Steel Events at Sanners Lake.

NOVICES ALWAYS WELCOME!

What is Rimfire Steel?

The NSSF Rimfire Challenge is a .22 rifle and pistol program created to introduce new people to the shooting sports and provide a pathway to shooting competition. The NSSF Rimfire Challenge can provide individuals or families with a fun and exciting first-time shooting experience. For more info on NSSF Rimfire Challenge go to their website: http://www.nssf.org/rimfire/#&panel1-3

A typical club match at Sanners Lake will have 3-4 stages where .22LR pistol and rifle are shot at steel targets at distances of approximately 10 yds for pistol and 15 yds for rifle. Each stage will consist of 5 strings for rifle and 5 strings for pistol. Best four strings for each stage count towards the shooter’s final score. Our club level matches at Sanners Lake follow the general guidelines of NSSF Rimfire Steel Matches though at times may have some small deviations.

Divisions: Open - optics on either/both pistol and rifle; Limited - iron sights on both firearms

At Sanners we also recognize categories of: Manually Operated - DA revolver and pump or lever action rifle with iron sights; Cowboy/girl - SA revolver and period correct pump or lever action rifle with iron sights while wearing a cowboy hat.

What to bring?

.22LR pistol (semi-auto, DA or SA revolver), .22LR rifle (semi-auto, pump or lever), 350-400 rounds of .22LR, ideally 5 magazines or speedloaders for each firearm, and bag or case for each firearm. Contact match POC for availability of loaner equipment for the match.

Check this thread for dates/info on upcoming matches.

BonnieNoClyde

Oct 30, 2014
    Southern MD
    January Rimfire Steel Match

Sunday Jan 18, 2015
    Rimfire Steel Match (Dynamic Shooting Pits)
    9am-2pm (Gate open 8:15-8:45am)

Sign Up: http://matchsignup.org/match/default.php?matchid=340 ; Walk-ins, if space available.

When signing up online for Divisions use Revolver for Manually Operated and Classic for Cowboy/girl. Open is for optics on either firearm and Limited for iron sights on both firearms.

New shooters to Rimfire Steel select Novice class, all others leave blank.

Fee: SLSC members $5, juniors $3, youth $2; Non-members $10, juniors $7, youth $5; Active duty military $5; Wounded Warriors and Paralympians FREE.

Course of fire: 3 stages with 5 strings each pistol and rifle; 210 round count but bring extra. Course of fire is in attached PDF.

Match questions - post on this thread or email the POC on the matchsignup webpage.

Attachments

• Rimfire Steel January 2015 CoF.pdf
      125.6 KB · Views: 140
    Last edited:

Casey

Dec 4, 2011
    new to this,
    Hello,
    I finally got my wife into shooting, we go to the local indoor range, and we would like to expand to different levels of fun, I have hunted since I could pick up a gun, my wife only likes to shoot targets, would there be some one there to " orient " us ? We have all the weapons and ammo covered.. I just am a newbie to protocols at these type events

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    new to this,
    Hello,
    I finally got my wife into shooting, we go to the local indoor range, and we would like to expand to different levels of fun, I have hunted since I could pick up a gun, my wife only likes to shoot targets, would there be some one there to " orient " us ? We have all the weapons and ammo covered.. I just am a newbie to protocols at these type events
    Its fairly easy stages... You will be under safety officers watch. Its good for new and exp shooters. Only advice is follow the safety rules and you are gtg. :)

Viper-Snipe

May 13, 2012
    Come on and join in the fun!
    I was new to it last year also and am hooked, try to have 5 mags for each gun, it saves time.

V-S

BonnieNoClyde

Oct 30, 2014
    Southern MD
    New to rimfire steel

This match is perfect for new shooters! If you selected Novice when you signed up I'll be sending an email soon with a bunch of info that should give you an idea of what to expect match day. The ROs know there are new folks and will walk you thru exactly what to do and will help as needed. It's a very welcoming and fun match for new shooters - glad to have you both coming out!!

BonnieNoClyde

Oct 30, 2014
    Southern MD
    Details

Course of fire is posted on the original match announcement post - up a few.

Weather - looking like strong possibility of rain. If it looks unworkable we'll post a cancellation here and send an email to those who signed up.

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    new to this,
    Hello,

PM sent.

BonnieNoClyde

Oct 30, 2014
    Southern MD
    January Rimfire Steel Match Canceled

I'm sorry to have to announce that the match this Sunday (January 18) is canceled due to weather. A system is forecast to come through tomorrow afternoon and pound us with rain Sunday morning.

We are announcing the cancellation early since many have a long weekend and this will give time for a change of plans.

See you in February!

BonnieNoClyde

Oct 30, 2014
    Southern MD
    February Match

Sunday Feb 22, 2015

Sign Up: http://matchsignup.org/match/default.php?matchid=340 ; Walk-ins, if space available.

When signing up online for Divisions use Revolver for Manually Operated and Classic for Cowboy/girl. Open is for optics on either firearm and Limited for iron sights on both firearms.

Squads - will have you sign up for a squad morning of match.

Fee: SLSC members $5, juniors $3, youth $2; Non-members $10, juniors $7, youth $5; Active duty military $5; Wounded Warriors and Paralympians FREE.

Course of fire: 3 stages with 5 strings each pistol and rifle;

Match questions - post on this thread or email sannersrimfiresteel@gmail.com

BonnieNoClyde

Oct 30, 2014
    Southern MD
    February Match Canceled

Unfortunately weather is working against us again and the February Rimfire Steel match at Sanners (Feb 22) is canceled due to weather and range conditions. Join us in March when hopefully the weather will be at least slightly spring like...

BonnieNoClyde

Oct 30, 2014
    Southern MD
    March Match Info

Sunday Mar 29, 2015

Course of fire: 4 stages with 5 strings each pistol and rifle; there may be a revenge on the ground hog stage...

BonnieNoClyde

Oct 30, 2014
    Southern MD
    March Match Results

Finally weather cooperated and we were able to have the rimfire steel match. It was a bit cool at first but then warmed up nicely. 25 shooters came out to enjoy 4 stages.

Match results and details are attached.

Our next match will be Sunday April 26, 2015.

Attachments

• Rimfire Steel Results 3_29_15v1.xlsx
      108.5 KB · Views: 93

BonnieNoClyde

Oct 30, 2014
    Southern MD
    April Match Info

Sunday Apr 26, 2015

Sign Up: http://matchsignup.org/match/default.php?matchid=407 ; Walk-ins, if space available.

New shooters to Rimfire Steel select Novice class, all others select 'U'.

Course of fire: 4 stages with 5 strings each pistol and rifle.

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    Crossing my fingers that I'll be able to drag Arianna out of bed that early in the morning (We have over an hour drive to Sanners). Teenagers do sleep a lot.

BonnieNoClyde

Oct 30, 2014
    Southern MD
    Stage Designs

Here are the stage designs for tomorrow's match. We'll make a rain call later today and post the decision here.

Attachments

• april_2015_rimfire steel stages.pdf
      179.8 KB · Views: 79

BonnieNoClyde

Oct 30, 2014
    Southern MD
    April Rimfire Steel match canceled

Due to forecasted rain today and tomorrow the Rimfire Steel match for tomorrow April 26th has been canceled. We'll see you in May!

BonnieNoClyde

Oct 30, 2014
    Southern MD
    May Rimfire Steel Match Announcement

The May Rimfire Steel Match will be Sunday May 31st at 0900. NOVICES ALWAYS WELCOME!!

Planning on 4 stages.

When signing up note the following:

Divisions: Manually operated use Revolver and Cowboy/girl use Classic. Open is for optics and Limited is iron sight semi-autos.

Class: If you've never shot a rimfire steel match before select Novice otherwise choose U (they no longer let you choose nothing.)

Categories and Age: Please select the appropriate ones so you can be grouped correctly in the results.

Squads - we will have you squad the morning of the match when you arrive.

Sign up is here http://matchsignup.org/match/default.php?matchid=443 and will close end of the day the Friday before the match.

If you would like to be on distro for match announcements send an email to sannersrimfiresteel@gmail.com

Post or email above address with questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom