• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Years ago I used my online training certificate from MDSP.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    I'll share my experience recently getting my permit in Collier County (Naples, FL). After looking around, I decided to just go with the training course offered by the county sheriff's office here. It was FREE. The course consisted of a 4 hour (closer to 3 in reality) classroom session on a Wednesday evening. That was followed up by an up to 3-hour range session the following Saturday morning at the sheriff's office range, also FREE. AS long as you took a single shot, you could leave at any time. However, the sheriff's office also provided semi-private instructors for up to the entire 3 hour session (again, FREE). I took this in late-July/early August and had my permit waiting for me when I returned to the area last week. The instructors were great. I even learned a new thing or two although I had taken the Utah course previously in Maryland. Oh yes, before I forget, students also get a range card that allows you to use the sheriff's range for FREE on the first Saturday morning of each month. The only downside is that the range is about an hour away from where we are in Naples. The folks at the permitting office were jovial and professional as well. What a great experience all around. Happy to answer any questions if anyone has any.

Here's the link to the Collier County site.

https://www.colliersheriff.org/how-do-i/gun-safety

Last edited:

Atomevolution

Mar 29, 2014
    Waking this thread up from the dead. I'm in the process of submitting the FL CCW non-resident application as I visit Florida periodically. I'm going to use my MD CCW Certificate(July 2022), an old NRA First Steps Pistol Orientation Certificate(2014), and my MD HQL Certificate(2014) as documentation. Do you guys think that will fly?

Can I use my Livescan fingerprints that are still within 30 days from the time they were taken?

I've tried to call Florida's Licensing Dept for the past two days and have been on hold for 30 minutes in a loop without ever having spoken to anyone. What's up with that? Is that normal?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    It seems that your training docs are sufficient.

Florida fingerprints submitted by non-residents done outside Florida MUST be ink prints by a law enforcement agency on Florida's card. No LiveScan from outside Florida is accepted.

You can execute the entire application online and order fingerprint cards as needed. They mailed mine pretty promptly and I had the fingerprint cards within a week. You only need one card to submit, but getting an extra card makes sense in case the first one gets smudged.

Phone response is spotty, but if you keep trying, you'll get through. Avoid early mornings, as that's when I too 'died on hold', but an early afternoon call was answered in a few minutes.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh

Florida fingerprints submitted by non-residents done outside Florida MUST be ink prints by a law enforcement agency on Florida's card. No LiveScan from outside Florida is accepted.

You can execute the entire application online and order fingerprint cards as needed. They mailed mine pretty promptly and I had the fingerprint cards within a week. You only need one card to submit, but getting an extra card makes sense in case the first one gets smudged.

Phone response is spotty, but if you keep trying, you'll get through. Avoid early mornings, as that's when I too 'died on hold', but an early afternoon call was answered in a few minutes.

I assume they need the completed ink print card mailed back to them? As opposed to scanning the card front/back and attaching to the online application.

Atomevolution

Mar 29, 2014

Thanks for the tips. While dying on hold, I did a bit of searching on their website and found a passage that echoed what you said regarding out of state residents have to mail in hard copies.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    My Florida permit was approved today. I mailed the print card in on July 13, but had forgotten to enclose the fingerprint processing fee. I mailed that in on July 25th. Not quite as speedy a PA (14 hours), but quite fast nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom