• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    In regards to quality of fit, finish and smooth action my new (2016 built) Marlin (Remlin) Guide Gun 45-70 is up to par with my 1990 JM stamped Marlin 30-30. Its every bit if not more accurate too. Both are open sights.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    “If the Henry is anything like the .22 rimfire 001 Henry, pos“

First Ai heard that. Mine has been perfect. You may want to let Henry look at that.

Same here. All of my Henry’s have been perfect out of the box. Never an issue and I have shot the hell out of all of them. I also have a ton of friends with many different Henry’s, never heard of an issue.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    In my cowboy shooting adventures, I started out with a .44 rig (Vaqueros and a Rossi), but eventually moved to .45LC (Colt SAAs and an Uberti '73). Can't say I missed the .44 rig - though the Vaquero was super solid, just didn't feel as authenticky as the Colt. On the lever guns, the Uberti '73 has been a joy to shoot, while the Rossi had some occasional hang-ups on ejects/chambering - just not as buttery as the Uberti. Had to be a lot more aggressive in operating the Rossi to ensure a good cycle.

That said, the Rossi a compact, quick-handling little .44, so if you were using it as an easy to carry brush gun, it would have a certain appeal. If you're going through 50-100 rounds in a match, it might need some work in order to function more reliably. Always used cowboy-weight loads, not magnums, so imagine it would feel a little spanky with your cheek on it, loaded hot. Was always very accurate with it, that was never an issue. Just felt a little rough and crunch compared to the more lovingly made Uberti, or so it seemed to me. All of this of course, coming from the CAS world. If I was shopping again, and not for that particular style of shooting, I suppose I'd seriously look at a new fangled Marlin. Very much a religious topic, here!

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    “If the Henry is anything like the .22 rimfire 001 Henry, pos“

First I heard that. Mine has been perfect. You may want to let Henry look at that.

Thin follower broke, poor feed and jammed up the works. They sent me a new follower which was made much heavier (tells me they knew they had a problem) but the damage was done so I unloaded it and bought a Marlin 39. Id "like" to buy a Win 9422 but only if I could steal it.

The Henry was a pretty gun but as I said mine happened to be a pos. If it won't cycle it's useless. :sad20:

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    The stainless .357 version of the Rossi is slick as snot. You can almost work the action with one finger. Very clean trigger break. I got it used but the gent who sold it to me didn't use it much. So I think it came that way.

Only thing I don't like is the curved steel butt plate. You start feeling it after a box of Magnums.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    The stainless .357 version of the Rossi is slick as snot. You can almost work the action with one finger. Very clean trigger break. I got it used but the gent who sold it to me didn't use it much. So I think it came that way.

Only thing I don't like is the curved steel butt plate. You start feeling it after a box of Magnums.

I have the blued version of the Rossi .357 and it had a slick action right out of the box. I also have an Octagonal "24 barreled Rossi in 45lc and the actions nice on it as well.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky

Try the 44 it stings pretty good after several rounds, it's much easier to shoot them out of a Redhawk revolver than my Puma 92 tho it's fun to shoot both. I can't imagine a 357 stinging much out of a 5 or 6 lb rifle.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As I mentioned in earlier post in this thread, M92 clones have the most shoulder thump of the common pistol cal leverguns . Partly the laws of physics regarding gun weight , partly the inherent trade offs of the historical correct stock design.

It won't harm you in the number of rounds actually fired at game , but long range sessions are decidedly more fun with no more than medium loads.

A Henry in .44 is downright gentle kicking by comparison , with identical ammo .

Decide your priorities.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Try the 44 it stings pretty good after several rounds, it's much easier to shoot them out of a Redhawk revolver than my Puma 92 tho it's fun to shoot both. I can't imagine a 357 stinging much out of a 5 or 6 lb rifle.

They don't sting much individually, but a whole box tends to add up. Packing up at the end of the day, the joint feels a little stiff for a while.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    This guy has a DVD that will help you smooth out a Rossi:

https://stevesgunz.com/

You may not get a perfect rifle to start with but it can be improved. Since they don't polish the action, they can sell the rifle for a better price.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I'd hold out for an older JM stamped Marlin. Unfortunately they are in high demand and usually go for a premium. You should be able to find a.44 for under $800. Not so much for the .357 though. They are going for $800 plus.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I would think Rossi or Marlin/Remington aka Freedom Arms Group would fit your budget very nicely. I’ve never owned a Henry but have shot some and while I’ve never experienced a problem with them, I just can’t get over the no loading gate. I’ve got two Rossi’s, one 357 & one 454 and both have functioned flawlessy. I got two Marlins last year from our IP High Rock when he had his sale along with rebates made them a very reasonable price. One 44 & one 45 and these are a little stiffer actions than my Rossi’s. Also as an honorable mention my Winchester in 444 Marlin who’s action is a little clunky but works flawlessly and boy it will kick the snot out of you. But I love it!

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Okay, hitting right at this mark, my favorite LGS just got in a Uberti 1866 Yellow Boy on consignment which I'm going to take a look at. I had been looking for a .357, and this model is the .38, so it may not be exactly right, but let me hear what anyone thinks of these. I know nothing about Ubertis beyond what Mr. Internet tells me, so from feed & function to handling and accuracy, how do people like them? Or not like them?

thanks!

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    I going to the Redding gun auction this weekend. I did see that they have a Marlin 44 mag that will be sold on Sat. You may want to check it out. I had one and it was a great rifle. Replaced it with a Browing M92 in 44 mag. Centennial. Now that's a rifle.

Last edited:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Okay, hitting right at this mark, my favorite LGS just got in a Uberti 1866 Yellow Boy on consignment which I'm going to take a look at. I had been looking for a .357, and this model is the .38, so it may not be exactly right, but let me hear what anyone thinks of these. I know nothing about Ubertis beyond what Mr. Internet tells me, so from feed & function to handling and accuracy, how do people like them? Or not like them?

thanks!

Get it. They're heavier than the 73, but they're still great rifles.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Get it. They're heavier than the 73, but they're still great rifles.

Jimbob or others - how would you compare the '66 model Uberti (used) to a new Henry? Apart from the caliber difference, and the magazine loading (remove tube vs. loading gate), how do those two stack up against each other?

Thanks!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Jimbob or others - how would you compare the '66 model Uberti (used) to a new Henry? Apart from the caliber difference, and the magazine loading (remove tube vs. loading gate), how do those two stack up against each other?

Thanks!

It depends on what you want to do with it. If it's casual shooting, there's not much difference. If you want to go Cowboy Action Shooting/SASS, the toggle-link action of the 66 works better than the new Henrys. If I were back home, I'd be making a run up to get that 66 if you weren't interested in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom