• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Impressive. Submit them yourself if you want one. It's an easy process. Ruger submits many of their new guns to the roster board, but probably not these one because they're for Lipsey's.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Glad to see Ruger giving .480 some love, its a caliber with a LOT of reloading potential.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Yeah, I've been through the process before. I got the 41 mag and 45 Colt calibers added for the Super Blackhawk Hunter which was previously only listed in 44 mag. As with those, Ruger had no interest in submitting a gun just for a caliber addition.

The 480 is a great round that got lost in the S&W 500 and 460 craze and the Bisley is a better platform for it than the Super Redhawk IMO. The S&W monsters are good rounds, but are crazy overpowered for most realistic hunting scenarios and chambered in super heavy guns. This Bisley in 480 will be just the right size/weight for toting around the woods in a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake chasing whitetails.

I ordered a 480 version, which Ruger hasn't started shipping yet (the 454 has). By the time it gets to my dealer, I can pay for it, get some loading stuff rounded up, submit it/get it approved to the board, it may very well be next year before I actually get to bring it home and shoot it. Can't wait!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Yeah, I've been through the process before. I got the 41 mag and 45 Colt calibers added for the Super Blackhawk Hunter which was previously only listed in 44 mag. As with those, Ruger had no interest in submitting a gun just for a caliber addition.

The 480 is a great round that got lost in the S&W 500 and 460 craze and the Bisley is a better platform for it than the Super Redhawk IMO. The S&W monsters are good rounds, but are crazy overpowered for most realistic hunting scenarios and chambered in super heavy guns. This Bisley in 480 will be just the right size/weight for toting around the woods in a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake chasing whitetails.

I ordered a 480 version, which Ruger hasn't started shipping yet (the 454 has). By the time it gets to my dealer, I can pay for it, get some loading stuff rounded up, submit it/get it approved to the board, it may very well be next year before I actually get to bring it home and shoot it. Can't wait!

More than the handgun I really would like Rossi/Braztech to bring their .480 levergun option back. I think they were sold under Puma before. The few I see are way overpriced.

Feb 28, 2013
    Glad to see Ruger giving .480 some love, its a caliber with a LOT of reloading potential.

I haven't seen much from the .480 Ruger lately. I guess it just hasn't caught on.

Hopefully it's less brutal to shoot than the .454 in a single action revolver.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Yeah, I've been through the process before. I got the 41 mag and 45 Colt calibers added for the Super Blackhawk Hunter which was previously only listed in 44 mag.

Good job. I went through to process to get two Vaqueros on the roster.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Back in the day, folks would get a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Maximum and convert it to .475 Linebaugh. According to Ruger, these new Bisleys are stronger than standard Blackhawks, and are bigger to boot. Since they're making them in .480 Ruger now, are the cylinders long enough now to bore out to the Linebaugh cartridge?

Back in the day, folks would get a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Maximum and convert it to .475 Linebaugh. According to Ruger, these new Bisleys are stronger than standard Blackhawks
    and are bigger to boot. Since they're making them in .480 Ruger now, are the cylinders long enough now to bore out to the Linebaugh cartridge?

I thought they used the same frame (not doubting you) and just changed the grip angle.If the new Bisley frame was beefed up for the .480,I hope they do the same for the Blackhawk (Super) then I'd be all over it.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    jimbobborg,
    Ruger is making the cylinder for these from Carpenter Custom 465 Stainless, the cylinder frame 415 stainless, and the barrel 15-5 PH stainless. The cylinder material is the same as used on the 480 SRH...extremely tough steel that quickly takes it's toll on production equipment, but ridiculously strong. The cylinder frame itself is the same size as any other Ruger SA.

The cylinder is the same diameter as any other Ruger SA cylinder. It MAY be longer, but not long enough to rechamber 475 Linebaugh. It gets it's strength from the Carpenter steel and also being a 5-shot.

JimBob2.0, the 480 levergun may very well return. probably depends on overall health of the 480 round itself. This Bisley may help.

SB, it's gotta have less recoil. Shot an FA in 454 once before...that's a brutal round!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The Bisley grip is the only sane way of building a monster caliber in a Blackhawk sized single action. The SA plowhandle shape allows the gun to forcefully roll back during revoil, driving the hammer into the web of the hand. Painful!

I shot a Bowen full conversion 475 Linbaugh with stag grips and Bisley grip frame (on 357 Maximum frame). A very firm, consistent grip was needed to achieve the accuracy the gun was capable of, allowing for the human shooting platform. I knew I was firing a huge caliber revolver. Doing it right didn't hurt but the gun moved alot. A slightly loose grip showed on target. I wouldn't have enjoyed shooting that revolver with a standard plough handle grip frame.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    I just found out these exist. Id love to get one as I love SA Rugers. I dont hunt and I dont reload, its just going to be a "plinker" that gets shot every once in a while.
    Any reason to go with .454 over .480 or vice versa? (price/avail of ammo, painful to shoot etc)? Im in PA so handgun roster isnt a problem

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I just found out these exist. Id love to get one as I love SA Rugers. I dont hunt and I dont reload, its just going to be a "plinker" that gets shot every once in a while.
    Any reason to go with .454 over .480 or vice versa? (price/avail of ammo, painful to shoot etc)? Im in PA so handgun roster isnt a problem

Main reason would be to be able to shoot .45 Colt and even .45 ACP (if your gun can accommodate the clips).

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    The .454 is the way to go, even if you reload the .480 is expensive since it takes an uncommon bullet size. Not gain I know of to going with the .480 aside from having something different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom