• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmdude

Oct 1, 2011
    Thanks for posting this. I have been wanting to get into the suppressor game for a while, but unavailability and crazy high prices have kept me from it. I love this idea and it has inspired me to create my trust and apply for a few form 1's. Awesome post

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks for posting this. I have been wanting to get into the suppressor game for a while, but unavailability and crazy high prices have kept me from it. I love this idea and it has inspired me to create my trust and apply for a few form 1's. Awesome post

Good to hear and welcome to the club!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    SOB - it is going to suck to have to engrave "West Friendship" on all these items.

I was going to go with "Silencer" for the model on all of these, but that might be too long.

Can I use Model: .22 Cal Cal: .22

Then, what happens if I am building one pistol suppressor in 45 and another rifle suppressor in 45? Can I use Model: .45 and Cal: .45 for both of them as long as I use a different serial number?

Thanks

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    You can, but look at the list. There are tons of options already integer.

I looked at the list and wanted to go with "Silencer", but that might be too long for the engraving and require two lines of engraving.

I saw your example, "My Little Friend", and all kinds of other hilarious stuff. Not sure I want to go with hilarity. Maybe "My Little Friend" for the .22lr B Tube suppressor. I need to stew on this today.

With that said, your Form 1 guide made the process really simple. I should be able to knock all of these out on Memorial Day as long as I can figure out which calibers I want to go with. Don't even need to know the diameter of the tubes or the backplate threading I will ultimately go with, just the caliber of the suppressor and 12" in length. After I get the stamps, I can figure out the exact builds.

Think I am going with:

.22lr
    .30 for rifles
    .40 for 9mm & .40 S&W
    .45 for .45 ACP
    .45 for 458 SOCOM

I am waffling between the above and

.22lr
    .30 for .223, .300BLK and other short action rifle cartridges of .300 or less
    .338 for a WIX for .338 Lapua, .300 Win Mag, and other long action cartridges
    .40 for 9mm and .40 S&W
    .45 for .45 ACP and 458 SOCOM

Do you think I can get away with a single suppressor for .45 ACP and 458 SOCOM?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    You can get away with the same can for 45/458 but it needs to be built for the 458.

Figured I would have to build it for the 458 since that is the larger of the two cartridges. Was just wondering if going 8" D cell tube on a pistol would be too much or would that build need to be a 10" D cell tube for the 458 SOCOM? Barrel length is going to be 12".

Just in case I have not already said it, and even if I have already said it it is justified to say it again, thanks for this thread and for coming back to it over and over again to share your knowledge. Guessing this thread is going to get very busy as July 13th gets closer.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    458 socom is not a high pressure round, but it has a huge bore that decreases the baffles efficiency. Compared to 45 it has a big increase in pressure. The 8" will probably work for both, and with the use of a booster it should be fine for the pistol.

I'm glad this thread was able to help members out and get involved before the deadline. I hope more guys jump into the game as well.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Has anyone tried using a B tube for a AR-9? I am thinking about building one dedicated for mine.

Trying to decide on length, number of freeze plugs, and mounting options.
    Would love any input.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Has anyone tried using a B tube for a AR-9? I am thinking about building one dedicated for mine.

Trying to decide on length, number of freeze plugs, and mounting options.
    Would love any input.

It will work just fine, but I prefer the D cell and shorter.

The D 5.6 has more volume than the B 7.6".

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    It will work just fine, but I prefer the D cell and shorter.

The D 5.6 has more volume than the B 7.6".

How many freeze plugs would you use in the D 5.6 and with 9 mm did you find it worth angling them? Not sure I want to invest in the tools to make them 45 degrees or 60 degrees.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    I'm going to spend a little more and use these:

www.amazon.com/JMPF-MagLite-Cups-Cell-Pack/dp/B0143JODBU

You can get them in aluminum and stainless. I think a nicer option than freeze plugs.

I do not recommend them at all, SS will be ok but still not the best thing to use.

There are guys making baffles mirrored after manufactures models. The price is dropping on them as well because multiple people are making them.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    How many freeze plugs would you use in the D 5.6 and with 9 mm did you find it worth angling them? Not sure I want to invest in the tools to make them 45 degrees or 60 degrees.

I believe I have 8, and I like formed plugs better than flat. You can buy them preformed, or rent s forming tool.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I do not recommend them at all, SS will be ok but still not the best thing to use. There are guys making baffles mirrored after manufactures models. The price is dropping on them as well because multiple people are making them.

Why don't you like them?

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Why don't you like them?

Poor performance, and they wear out to quickly.

The aluminum are dangerous, the edges roll over and become loose in the tube.

Stick with known quality prices. For what you pay for those you could get real baffles for.

Look up a guy named venom or poolshark. Both are making the same products pretty cheap with good quality.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Poor performance, and they wear out to quickly. The aluminum are dangerous, the edges roll over and become loose in the tube. Stick with known quality prices. For what you pay for those you could get real baffles for. Look up a guy named venom or poolshark. Both are making the same products pretty cheap with good quality.

Thanks.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm going to spend a little more and use these:

www.amazon.com/JMPF-MagLite-Cups-Cell-Pack/dp/B0143JODBU

You can get them in aluminum and stainless. I think a nicer option than freeze plugs.

Teratos (refraining from using your real name),

I posted a link to those a couple of weeks ago and only heard crickets.

Weber,

Do these guys building OEM type baffles have a website? If so, can you put up their links? If not, can you PM me with their information and if they make more than one style baffle let me know which of their baffles you would recommend for:

.22lr
    .40 S&W/.357 Sig
    .45 ACP/.458 SOCOM
    .300 BLK
    .338 Lapua Mag.

I think those are the five suppressors I have settled on. Hoping I can find time today to finally sit down and complete all those Form 1 applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom