• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I just finished building a 9mm 1911 for my wife. I think it came out really well, and she loves it. Built on a Foster carbon frame, STI slide, Kart Barrel. Tired not to cut any corners and build her a really nice firearm. Now to build one for myself.:party29:

BRI-1911_zpsbmk6bjl8.jpg

xdmdude

Oct 1, 2011
    Nice! Looks great. I'm looking for my next project gun. I might have to build a 1911.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    The finish quality looks excellent!

How does it shoot?

What were your biggest lessons learned?

So far it shot great, I shot 100 rounds through it. Had one round fail to feed, and when I looked at the bullet it wasn't crimped. No way that thing was ever fitting in the chamber, so not the guns fault. Very accurate, and the trigger is nice and clean at about 3.25 lbs. I didn't want it any lower for her. I didn't even have to adjust the sights, it was dead on from the start. I guess I pick the right height front sight. (Lucky)

The wife is meeting me after work tonight to shoot it, and then she is going to shoot a USPSA match with it on Sunday.:thumbsup:

Lessons... number one take your time. It wasn't really as hard as I thought it might be, but at the same time it took more work than I thought it would. If that makes sense. Every single part of it needed to filed/stoned to fit. But, now that it's done it's tighter than my Trubor that cost a hole lot more money. But, I can see why having a custom built gun is so expensive. I spent a hole afternoon getting the slide to fit the frame.

In a sense I cut a corner on the extractor. I went with a aftec, because I feel that is a better extractor and doesn't really need any tuning. Next time maybe I'll do a normal extractor just to learn how to do it. Although I really like the Aftec's, they're just pricey.

Oh yeah, and be careful with the trigger. I bent the bow on the 1st one, and broke it good trying to "fix" it. I also messed up one slide stop.

Cerakote is "THICK". I had the Cerakote done locally and I'm very happy with how it came out. But, when everything is fit really tight you'll have some work putting it all back together when you are done. Which I really wasn't surprised by. I still don't think the mags drop out as easily as I would like. I'll probably sand out some inside the frame for more clearance.

I'm sure there is more, that is what comes to mind.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Beautiful! I see some of my favorite optional parts on there.

What recoil spring are you using for 9mm? Did you do any lightening to the slide?

An alloy 9mm is probably my next project.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I went with a 9 lbs recoil spring, I also have a variable 9 spring to try.

The grips are one of my favorite parts, only thing I would change on them is those are the slims for her smaller hands. It's a little to thin for me. This is the 1st gun she's ever shot that actually fits her hands.

Oh, and the slide has not been lightened at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom