• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If I were you I would move heaven and earth if you have to to attend tomorrow's meeting. If you do, and have not already written the check, you may want to think twice about dropping that kind of coin with your attorney.

Do yourself a favor and do it yourself. Then spend the $$ on a nice Sig to celebrate.

Yeah, this. Not saying you may not have comfort in the hands of an attorney ... but once you digest the format and flow of these hearings in person, you'll see that it's more like attending a PTA meeting (with that annoying assistant principal being armed).

Mr. Stoveman encouraged me to attend, and I did, and it was a very good thing to have done. Plus, Crownsville is beautiful this time of year.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yeah, this. Not saying you may not have comfort in the hands of an attorney ... but once you digest the format and flow of these hearings in person, you'll see that it's more like attending a PTA meeting (with that annoying assistant principal being armed).

Mr. Stoveman encouraged me to attend, and I did, and it was a very good thing to have done. Plus, Crownsville is beautiful this time of year.

:lol::lol2:

Plus it will totally piss you off when the following happens:

1. Your attorney requests that your hearing is in closed session so that the General Public can't witness what a terrible job they will do.
    2. Because your attorney requested a closed session hearing you will go last.
    3. Because you are going last you get to sit through all the "Johnny Sweatpants" types who successfully do what you are trying to do WITHOUT an attorney.
    4. After about the fourth or fifth Johnny Sweatpants you are going to be pissed that you are stroking a four figure check to said attorney.
    5. You leave the meeting successful but knowing that P.T. Barnum was very correct.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    My initial application was mailed 5/9/18. I have heard absolutely nothing. Should I call someone? Sent certified return receipt.

Referring to your application for a hearing, or your application with the MSP for your permit? Presuming you've received your permit and you're talking about requesting a board hearing: frustrating, but perfectly normal. I was at least two months before receiving an acknowledgement of my request (it came by email), and the it was another long-ish wait for more communication about the date for an actual hearing. So ... be patient. This is ALL about patience.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Referring to your application for a hearing, or your application with the MSP for your permit? Presuming you've received your permit and you're talking about requesting a board hearing: frustrating, but perfectly normal. I was at least two months before receiving an acknowledgement of my request (it came by email), and the it was another long-ish wait for more communication about the date for an actual hearing. So ... be patient. This is ALL about patience.

Initial application for the permit.

forkauto

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Sep 26, 2013
    Hampstead, Md
    If I were you I would move heaven and earth if you have to to attend tomorrow's meeting. If you do, and have not already written the check, you may want to think twice about dropping that kind of coin with your attorney.

Do yourself a favor and do it yourself. Then spend the $$ on a nice Sig to celebrate.

While I do agree with this. The fee was minimal as it was added to other services performed earlier so I’m happy to have someone else in my corner. I was going to do it myself but after she told me what the cost would be, I felt it was worth it. I can take the extra saved money for that Sig, or maybe some belts for the 23e

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    July 17th i will go alone to my hearing and do it in open session , i want others to see how things work that may be new to this . If it helps one person that is a net gain .

I have been asking for the MSP put a second business on my permit with them completely ignoring my request . They are simpletons and obstructionist

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Initial application for the permit.

Pretty much the same story, when it comes to hurrying up and waiting. That initial process is theoretically supposed to take no more than 90 days. In my case all of the action (including the first communication of any kind from MSP) didn't happen until we were within a couple of weeks of the end of that 90 day window. Things happened quickly after that (scheduling and conducting my face-to-face meeting with the investigating Trooper, my references being contacted, a request for some additional documents, and the issuing of the permit with the inevitable restrictions).

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    In the spirit of continuing the play-by-play: This morning I completed a one-page testimony document for presentation in the written-review-mode for the board. Sent that (along with a couple of supporting documents) off to Stevi, requesting that we go that route in lieu of an in-person appearance. I felt solid about my pitch, and all the more so for having attended a hearing and paid attention to others.

She got back to me mid-day, confirming her receipt of the files I'd sent, and letting me know my review would take place on 7/31. That's a LOT better than October. But, I still won't be there to hear the reading and the results, so other than the commentary from the MDSers that attend the hearings, I won't know the disposition of the review until she gets back to me afterwards. She indicated that she would quickly follow up with the decision, but that of course the formal paperwork and any altered permit, should that happen, would lag behind. So, I'm the queue, and the paperwork horse is out of the barn now. Time to pay attention to something else for a while!

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    In the spirit of continuing the play-by-play: This morning I completed a one-page testimony document for presentation in the written-review-mode for the board. Sent that (along with a couple of supporting documents) off to Stevi, requesting that we go that route in lieu of an in-person appearance. I felt solid about my pitch, and all the more so for having attended a hearing and paid attention to others.

She got back to me mid-day, confirming her receipt of the files I'd sent, and letting me know my review would take place on 7/31. That's a LOT better than October. But, I still won't be there to hear the reading and the results, so other than the commentary from the MDSers that attend the hearings, I won't know the disposition of the review until she gets back to me afterwards. She indicated that she would quickly follow up with the decision, but that of course the formal paperwork and any altered permit, should that happen, would lag behind. So, I'm the queue, and the paperwork horse is out of the barn now. Time to pay attention to something else for a while!

This one is easy. PM me your application # and I'll hit you up as soon as the board makes a decision.

fireup

Oct 14, 2010
    Catonsville
    Time to start getting ready. I was able to get my HPRB date moved up to 7/31 due to some new time sensitive information that impacts my case.
    Does anyone have an insight on how I should get ready for this or if it’s worth me bringing someone?
    Boards like this and testifying is definitely not in my wheelhouse. I want to give myself the best shot possible

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Time to start getting ready. I was able to get my HPRB date moved up to 7/31 due to some new time sensitive information that impacts my case.
    Does anyone have an insight on how I should get ready for this or if it’s worth me bringing someone?
    Boards like this and testifying is definitely not in my wheelhouse. I want to give myself the best shot possible

Fire an email away at info@marylandshallissue.org

:)

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    What DC-W said, plus get yourself to (at least) one of the meetings coming up before yours: 3 & 17 July.
    You will learn a LOT just by sitting in the audience and observing. And maybe discreetly introduce yourself to some of the MDS "friendlies" for even more insight. Just stay away from the Marylanders to Prevent Guns stenographer.

fireup

Oct 14, 2010
    Catonsville

They were the first I contacted when these extenuating circumstances came to light last week.
    The gentleman I have been in contact with through MSI has been incredibly helpful and always prompt in response to my emails. I was given some excellent information on how to proceed with the MSP.
    Now time to focus on the HPRB and my testimony.

fireup

Oct 14, 2010
    Catonsville
    What DC-W said, plus get yourself to (at least) one of the meetings coming up before yours: 3 & 17 July.
    You will learn a LOT just by sitting in the audience and observing. And maybe discreetly introduce yourself to some of the MDS "friendlies" for even more insight. Just stay away from the Marylanders to Prevent Guns stenographer.

Thank you! Excellent idea. I’ll be at the July 3rd one for sure. Already in my calendar. Damn shift work schedule got me for the 17th but I’ll try to get off.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Following up:

As mentioned, I was told by Stevi that my review would be read 7/31. But just got an email from her this afternoon saying that they'd read my written review request during the 7/3 meeting the other night, and that the board ("by majority vote" - don't know what the actual score was) decided to modify the permit for a no-restrictions flavor. So, whew! And I'll take it as very encouraging that they got me through two board meetings earlier than expected.

For those of you that are newly getting in line for your in-person hearing, consider corresponding with her about getting it done in this manner. If you're confident about your case, it WILL make this go a lot faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom