• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    I have a clean record and have nothing to hide, but that isn't the point. I even have fingerprints on file from several different times I've been printed (military service, no criminal record) so it technically wouldn't make any difference to do it again. The point for me is that I refuse to pay to exercise a right, which is especially stupid considering that I already have regulated guns, so what's the point? The legalese that you have to sign off on in order to get an HQL basically has you forfeit rights otherwise guaranteed by the US Bill of Rights. Sorry, I'm not going to submit myself willingly to what is quickly becoming a true police state

Well-covered.

Besides... Other than getting the HQL to pick up guns that were in limbo (withholding commentary), I really don't see why the collective hard-on for getting one (unless folks are just that hot to keep "buying guns woo hoo")

One other thing for Enterprise...

I have no faith in MSP to protect my PII. They're already costing my wife and I $600 a year for a LifeLock plan that we never had a need for, before.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Let me leave you with another question to ponder. How many of you would be fighting this if it were for a Carry Permit? With the exception of the additional training now required (16Hrs vs 8Hrs), and ignoring for the minute the "Good & Substantial" issue, the HQL and the Carry Permit are the same! Same background checks, Fingerprints, the works!

Some good points in your post, but I wanted to point this one out, in particular.

Many of us HAVE fought this for a carry permit, and continue to do so. I (and others) submitted the application in the spring of 2012, and have been waiting for an informal review since July.

There will be legislation submitted this session in this regard for the coming session, and MSI (and others) will be pushing for it, just like every other session.

The big difference this time? Numbers. Huge, and unmistakable numbers of gun-owning registered voters.

Help us turn out in excess of 10,000 this year, beginning on Feb 4.

#2ATuesday
    10K in 2014

PresentArms

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2008
    Middle River
    HQL gives them no more information then they had before. I have mine so I can purchase more. I don't like it but feel its here to stay. I'm thinking it should speed up the approval process in due time.

ChrisR/T

Resident Beer Snob
    Oct 30, 2008
    Las Vegas, from Hazard County
    I refuse to get an HQL.

It's not about the money.

Or some of the hoops.

But the fact that I have to be finger printed to exercise a right. That irks me to no end. I'm fine with training, and paying a fee. But finger printing me like a common criminal or someone with a security clearance? Yeah, no, that's not going to happen.

I want to see people be checked for intelligence before they can exercise their 1A, checked for criminal misbehavoir before they exercise their 5A.

It's just completely stupid and utterly unfair.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Well-covered.

Besides... Other than getting the HQL to pick up guns that were in limbo (withholding commentary), I really don't see why the collective hard-on for getting one (unless folks are just that hot to keep "buying guns woo hoo")

One other thing for Enterprise...

I have no faith in MSP to protect my PII. They're already costing my wife and I $600 a year for a LifeLock plan that we never had a need for, before.

Well first the PII ship has sallied. You are already paying for lifelock..

Me to--- I got breached over a magazine subscription of all things ( cc number only I hope )

I do not think folks should be in a hurry at all.

I do think coming from NY that if the HQL does what its proponents want MD will have no gun community in 20 years..

So we wait an hope the courts do the right thing-- but in the end when you have too bad choices we must make the least bad.

I don expect more that 30% of FFL to make into next year if this stands.

I have seen it first hand in NY.

We have some time for now, but I can assure you a general FIOD card is on the way if the divide and conquer thing works.. so far it is working..

Just keep an open mind on this no need to rush -- yet..

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    Other than getting the HQL to pick up guns that were in limbo (withholding commentary), I really don't see why the collective hard-on for getting one (unless folks are just that hot to keep "buying guns woo hoo"

there are some of us that, unfortunately, came late to the party.

i've got a few co-workers and friends that are looking to buy their FIRST handguns and are now required to get the HQL to own just one gun.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    this is a stick with crap on both ends of it, and I dont like either side. I personally do not want this hql as I do not think a right should be licensed.

On the other side, like others have pointed out, you have divide and conquer. This is and will play right into liberal politics. im sure in some way or form the low turn out for the hql WILL be thrown in our faces to prove some sort of lack of concern on our part.

just more liberal reasoning for why they shouldnt pay attention to us. Its a shame we have to play games with these puss waffles but thus is life in maryland.

Dec 31, 2012
    I am financially out of the game. The unpaid shutdown took care of that. I can't afford to get the HQL and now that has become as much of an issue for me as having to get one in the first place.

Six months ago, my wife and I were watching a little old lady handling a few second hand firearms in a shop. She was price shopping in the $200 range and said even that was tight. She wanted something for her Hawthorne neighborhood because she was getting worried. I hope she bought before Oct1st because she is certainly priced out now.

I will be making the restrictive costs a prominent part of future protests against the law.

It's not only fundamentally wrong, it's socially biased.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    I am financially out of the game. The unpaid shutdown took care of that. I can't afford to get the HQL and now that has become as much of an issue for me as having to get one in the first place.

Six months ago, my wife and I were watching a little old lady handling a few second hand firearms in a shop. She was price shopping in the $200 range and said even that was tight. She wanted something for her Hawthorne neighborhood because she was getting worried. I hope she bought before Oct1st because she is certainly priced out now.

I will be making the restrictive costs a prominent part of future protests against the law.

We need you to speak out. Much more important than the hql. We need to find gentle old soul and get her to speak out..

We will find a way to get you to Annapolis. Will you come.....

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    this is a stick with crap on both ends of it, and I dont like either side. I personally do not want this hql as I do not think a right should be licensed.

On the other side, like others have pointed out, you have divide and conquer. This is and will play right into liberal politics. im sure in some way or form the low turn out for the hql WILL be thrown in our faces to prove some sort of lack of concern on our part.

just more liberal reasoning for why they shouldnt pay attention to us. Its a shame we have to play games with these puss waffles but thus is life in maryland.

Do not worry about the opitics one way or another on the HQL.

Just get to lawyers mall. That's the optics we need

The issue with. HQL can and should wait until you are ready to purchase and or the court denies injunctive relief. That's when we Ned to drown them like we have never done before. I would like 200k in one month..

Then maybe another protest day.... :)
    Waves can carve a mountain into a beach. But not in a day.

Mr H

Banana'd

These were arguments we were wanting to make much more than we did during the last session, but had no one to physically represent the points.

Be sure that you (and everyone else needs to do this as well) tell your story to the Critterati, by phone, email, fax, letter, in person... anything to put a human face to the things that are having an effect on the state of 2A in Maryland!!

Dec 31, 2012
    We need you to speak out. Much more important than the hql. We need to find gentle old soul and get her to speak out..

We will find a way to get you to Annapolis. Will you come.....

If I can be there then I will.

I would love to find that woman. My wife and I have often said she is the one most affected.
    For an administration that is concerned about poverty they don't mind pricing people out their rights. Short of removing SB281 from the books I think it would be a damn funny alternative if the state has to provide subsidies to cover the HQL costs.

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    Many of us HAVE fought this for a carry permit, and continue to do so. I (and others) submitted the application in the spring of 2012, and have been waiting for an informal review since July.

There will be legislation submitted this session in this regard for the coming session, and MSI (and others) will be pushing for it, just like every other session.

The big difference this time? Numbers. Huge, and unmistakable numbers of gun-owning registered voters.

Mr. h,

My personal opinion is that the HQL was Maryland's preemptive strike in preparation for a loss in Wollard. The HQL put everything in place for a Shall Issue environment. I truly hope that this is the year that it happens, but I suspect that the decision by SCOTUS to not grant Cert in Wollard will only embolden the Legislature to keep this from happening.

There is no doubt that Numbers Matter and that is the whole point of this thread. How do we make our true numbers known? Can we find a way to find the common ground as gun owners and use that to increase our representation in the Legislature? I personally know gun owners who are all about the 2A but who are against concealed carry. I know shot-gunners who supported the AWB and mag limits!

It is their right to believe that way, but if we make this a battle about the differences, we loose them as supporters, and WE NEED EVERYBODY! We need to find that common thread amongst us and use that to bolster our numbers. We need to have verifiable numbers that the Legislature can not refute. That is the only way we are going to have a chance in this battle.

The previous poster suggested using the Designated Collector certification instead of the HQL as a way to determine the numbers. It's not a bad idea, I've had mine since 2002. However, I don't think it will carry the same weight as the HQL in the eyes of the Legislature because there is really no qualification process. You ask for it, you get it, unless you are a prohibited person I guess, but I am not even sure of that. The standard of qualification is vague, at best.

I understand everyone's aversion to the HQL, I really do. I agonized over applying for it for months. It is the same argument I had with myself about becoming a DINO. My district was gerrymandered out from under me, my representatives completely ignore me, and my candidates don't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning elections. I didn't want to do it, but the situation left me no choice if I wanted to have any say in my government at all.

That is the same way I feel about the HQL. My birthright has been legislated out from under me, my government and the courts completely ignore me, and I don't think we have a snowballs chance in hell of getting the injunction. We may win eventually, but eventually is a long time from now. I didn't want to do it, but after the TRO hearings didn't go our way, the situation left me little choice if I wanted to continue to purchase firearms in Maryland.

I know it is an individual decision to either get the HQL or not, and I respect each persons choice. I can only speak for myself and next year, at the hearings, I will be able to open with....

My name is "Dogmeat". I was born in, raised in, and have lived my entire life in, Montgomery County, MD. I am a business owner, a registered Democrat :puke2:, a certified Maryland Collector, and I possess an HQL.

Dogmeat

Mr H

Banana'd
    Understood completely, and I appreciate your candor.

Right now, only MSP can say for sure what ANY numbers truly are... and that doesn't include non-regulated firearms owners!

But...

What we can do is spread the word that we DO have a battle on our hands, and start letting people know they really CAN have a say in how this turns out.

Anyone who is not already receiving MSI newsletters needs to sign up. Those are numbers we can use. Join MSI... more numbers in our favor. Facebook, Twitter... the more the better.

Spread the word to your LGSs, your clubs, at work, friends, family... anyone who will hear it. You'd be surprised at how many are with us, and didn't know there were others willing to speak for them.

I go across the state doing events for MSI, and talk to thousands of people a year. There are many who are unaware that the 2A issues in the state reach beyond their slug gun, or their nightstand revolver. These are the folks we need to reach, and let them know they are next.

I also have the dubious honor of speaking to several legislators on occasion. It amazes me how many tell us they are supportive, but then turn around and say that the GA structure won't allow for change. I consider them cowards.

We were one vote away (in each chamber) from breaking the wall. They had to cheat to stop us.

Yeah... I'm confident we can do this thing. It just takes people with a commitment, and the long view, to see it through.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Mr. h,

My personal opinion is that the HQL was Maryland's preemptive strike in preparation for a loss in Wollard. The HQL put everything in place for a Shall Issue environment. I truly hope that this is the year that it happens, but I suspect that the decision by SCOTUS to not grant Cert in Wollard will only embolden the Legislature to keep this from happening.

There is no doubt that Numbers Matter and that is the whole point of this thread. How do we make our true numbers known? Can we find a way to find the common ground as gun owners and use that to increase our representation in the Legislature? I personally know gun owners who are all about the 2A but who are against concealed carry. I know shot-gunners who supported the AWB and mag limits!

It is their right to believe that way, but if we make this a battle about the differences, we loose them as supporters, and WE NEED EVERYBODY! We need to find that common thread amongst us and use that to bolster our numbers. We need to have verifiable numbers that the Legislature can not refute. That is the only way we are going to have a chance in this battle.

The previous poster suggested using the Designated Collector certification instead of the HQL as a way to determine the numbers. It's not a bad idea, I've had mine since 2002. However, I don't think it will carry the same weight as the HQL in the eyes of the Legislature because there is really no qualification process. You ask for it, you get it, unless you are a prohibited person I guess, but I am not even sure of that. The standard of qualification is vague, at best.

I understand everyone's aversion to the HQL, I really do. I agonized over applying for it for months. It is the same argument I had with myself about becoming a DINO. My district was gerrymandered out from under me, my representatives completely ignore me, and my candidates don't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning elections. I didn't want to do it, but the situation left me no choice if I wanted to have any say in my government at all.

That is the same way I feel about the HQL. My birthright has been legislated out from under me, my government and the courts completely ignore me, and I don't think we have a snowballs chance in hell of getting the injunction. We may win eventually, but eventually is a long time from now. I didn't want to do it, but after the TRO hearings didn't go our way, the situation left me little choice if I wanted to continue to purchase firearms in Maryland.

I know it is an individual decision to either get the HQL or not, and I respect each persons choice. I can only speak for myself and next year, at the hearings, I will be able to open with....

My name is "Dogmeat". I was born in, raised in, and have lived my entire life in, Montgomery County, MD. I am a business owner, a registered Democrat :puke2:, a certified Maryland Collector, and I possess an HQL.

Dogmeat

They only time they will worry about our number is when it reaches a point that will actually effect tehir re-election. THey know the numbers. They know I have purchased 12 firearms prior to 10/1 and none since. To them I am still dangerous even though I do not have a HQL.

As to the HQL. I have numerous copies of my fingerprints floating around, I have DNA samples on file, I have a security clearance. These were for jobs or occupations why the "F" am I going to any of this for a RIGHT. While I live in MD I will be buying long guns until I leave the state.

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    Mr. h,

I am heavily involved in my local gun club (excuse me Conservation Organization) and I am actively spreading the word. This past year, I brought three friends with me to Annapolis on three separate occasions. I hope to repeat that again in 2014 and have them each bring three friends.

Dogmeat

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom