Can pinned to barrel to avoid SBR stamp?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Just saw someone on a youtube say you can buy 10.5" barrel with pinned can to avoid having to SBR the rifle. Any downsides to this? Would be a great way to go for (perhaps) a 300 blackout upper.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The short answer is yes, you can do it that way. If the barrel's overall length is 16" or more, than you only pay for the suppressor stamp. Most centerfire cans aren't user serviceable anyway.

Of course, then you can't swap the can to any other guns. And you can't use that gun in places with suppressor restrictions. Sort of a bummer there, but it's your call.

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    I know SBR's cannot be moved out of state without filing paperwork with the ATF to notify them before hand. I think this is not the case for suppressors though. Am I correct? Wouldn't that be a potential advantage? (Not an NFA guy, but this is a subject I've wondered about.)

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    I know SBR's cannot be moved out of state without filing paperwork with the ATF to notify them before hand. I think this is not the case for suppressors though. Am I correct? Wouldn't that be a potential advantage? (Not an NFA guy, but this is a subject I've wondered about.)

For out-of-state moves (even temporary), suppressors and AOWs don't require a Form 5320.20, and in-state doesn't require notification at all. However, SBRs, machineguns, etc., all require a Form 5320.20.

More info on the form itself.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The main disadvantage is not able to switch can to other guns.

Advantages are no SBR stamp, no form 20 required.

Minor didadvantage, if traveling to a non-suppressor jurisdiction, you would need to leave at home OR use a 16in bbl upper .

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    From a cost perspective, I believe I paid somewhere in the $100-150 range to have a muzzle device pinned and welded. A stamp is $200. A savings of $50-100 is not worth having a $500+ suppressor welded to a barrel, in my opinion.

What if your can needs maintenence or repair? Baffle strikes do happen...

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Not sure about other calibers, but I have one of these Tactical Solutions SBX barrels. It has a a 12" barrel with a 4.5" shroud pinned to it. A suppressor can be inserted into the shroud or fired without a suppressor.

Attachments

• Tactical solutions - 4.jpg
      Tactical solutions - 4.jpg
      66.1 KB · Views: 218
    • Tactical solutions - 3.jpg
      Tactical solutions - 3.jpg
      59.7 KB · Views: 219
    • Tactical solutions - 2.jpg
      Tactical solutions - 2.jpg
      68.8 KB · Views: 213
    • Tactical solutions - 1.jpg
      Tactical solutions - 1.jpg
      69.7 KB · Views: 212

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not sure about other calibers, but I have one of these Tactical Solutions SBX barrels. It has a a 12" barrel with a 4.5" shroud pinned to it. A suppressor can be inserted into the shroud or fired without a suppressor.

I've seen this set-up on .22 ARs. Works pretty good.

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    You really need to get technical if you want to avoid an unpleasant encounter with the fellas with the bulges in the cheap suits.

Pinning isn't good enough. Your muzzle attachment that avoids SBR requirements must be permanent, by full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, hi-temp silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.

Neal

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom