• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Donkey

Aug 10, 2011
    Sharpsburg
    Just wondering if they are really worth it from those that own or shot one.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I owned one. It was fun, but too much $$$ tied into one firearm for my taste. I got a lot of looks, and let a lot of people try it out. May want to double up on hearing protection, because this firearm is particularly loud. Very accurate at 100 yards, and the same can be said for 200 yards. Never pushed it further than that. Maintenance is easy, so is disassembly.

If I was to buy another rifle in 7.62x51, I would probably buy an AR10.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

If I was to buy another rifle in 7.62x51, I would probably buy an AR10.

If premade, instead of build your own, S&W, Colt, Sig, or another manufacturer?

The SCAR 17 price point, which its reputation seems to justify, is also what inhibits my purchase. I have 308 stocked up for another platform, so have been thinking AR-10 (lower and commercial build).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I'll let you know how I feel after FN gets in touch with me with regard to my SCAR 17S.

I enjoy mine. It doesn't recoil that bad for a .308 chambered rifle. It's fun to shoot from the bench and is more accurate than I am. I didn't pay retail and never would. All the accessories for it are expensive if you're into toying with your guns. I also want to get into other .308 semis, but often reconsider just because it would mean investing in new mags. Pretty much every other semi .308 uses the SR-25 pattern magazine; that can be rectified with an aftermarket trigger module/lower, but that's really silly unless you're heavily invested in SR-25 mags already.

jjsat

Apr 14, 2014
    Montgomery Co., MD
    I've had my Scar 17 for about a year now. I LOVE IT! Yes, it's expensive. Yes, the ammo and accessories are expensive. It's one of the softest shooting and light 308 rifles out there and like Orbital says it is more accurate than I am. I also paid way less than the current going price which adds to my warm and fuzzy feelings about the rifle.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I owned 2 . Still have 1 love the low recoil. Extremely accurate! !! They are even better silenced :-) I was a nay sayer because of the price til I shot 1. Ever since then I feel it's worth the dough !

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    They are fun rifles, entirely overpriced for what they are, in my opinion. I have shot the hell out of both and much prefer my M1A. The SCARs felt too flimsy and "plasticy". They shoot well though.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I really like mine, but as others have said accessorizing can get expensive quick. The first thing you'll need is the Geisselle trigger as the stock trigger is very heavy; I made the mistake of buying a Timney and was not happy with it at all.

I've owned pretty much all of the 308 Battle Rifles, except for a FAL, and the SCAR 17 really blows the others out of the water. It's extremely soft shooting and very accurate within 350 yards; once the barrel heats up it does start to string shots a little at distance. The mags while expensive are of excellent quality, they make my M14 mags look they are from the Iron Age in comparison. I mounted a SWFA 1-6x HD scope on it which is great at 1x and 6x but pretty much sucks at anything in between. If I could do it over again I would go with a Leupold Mk4 1.5-5x instead.

What else.... We've all heard rumors of SCARs destroying optics. Mine ate my Trijicon SRS red dot site in a single range session. Also, think about the reciprocating charging handle, some folks have a really hard time with it as it can really tear up your fingers pretty good.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    I love mine, added a geisselle super scar trigger, .308 ACOG and a new grip.

my only complaint is the reciprocating charging handle.. my thumb hates me when I don't shoot it for a while and forget not to hold it by the mag well..

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If premade, instead of build your own, S&W, Colt, Sig, or another manufacturer?

The SCAR 17 price point, which its reputation seems to justify, is also what inhibits my purchase. I have 308 stocked up for another platform, so have been thinking AR-10 (lower and commercial build).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'd build one, so that way you can put the parts on it that you want, and spread the cost of the rifle out over time. I'm kind of biased though, since I am in the process of doing exactly that. You may want to look into the Aero M5 upper/lower set for around 300-350. Be sure to get it in the DPMS pattern, so you can use a lot of AR15 parts in the build.

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    I have one, and a S&W M&P 10 and feel that the SCAR is the "coolest" looking rifle out of the box, especially in FDE, and has some interesting design features, to me that alone is worth it. From an objective standpoint the SCAR shoots about the same as the M&P 10 (both are 1 MOA capable), weighs about the same (about 8 pounds), includes back up iron sights, magazines are two times more expensive for the SCAR, and the SCAR cost nearly twice as much.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Saw a sweet black 1 at big dogs today. Marked used but sure looked new to me !!

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I would wait for this; MKE MPT 76
    or
    Build and AR10 with the New Troy Tomahawk Buttstock...JMO

Attachments

• MPT76.jpg
      MPT76.jpg
      40.2 KB · Views: 457

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    For what these are selling for in California, I'm more than willing to make mine compliant and let it go. Might buy a KAC, but I think I'm out of the $3K+ rifle game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom