• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I was given some 9 mm Largo ammunition. I shoot 9 mm Luger in my Springfield XD9. I don't know anything about the Largo ammunition and am concerned about trying it in my XD9. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    two completely different rounds ---NOT INTERCHANGEABLE---
    The 9×23mm Largo (9mm Largo, 9mm Bergmann-Bayard, 9mm Bayard Long) centerfire pistol cartridge was developed in 1901 for the Bergmann Mars pistol. The round was considered powerful for the day, producing a muzzle energy of between 330 and 430 foot-pounds depending on the loading. A number of small changes to the Mars and the cartridge were made and the pistol that eventuated was called the Bergmann-Bayard 1903.

9mm luger is 9x19mm

narcolepticsniper

That one guy
    Jul 4, 2009
    Indiana
    You can use them if you want.

But you'll face damage to your weapon, bodily injury or even death.

Different round, don't chance ruining a nice pistol or getting hurt.
    More power than 9x19, longer cartridge, same round circumference.
    Again, don't. Better off giving them up as karma.

rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County
    What they said, 9mm Largo was the standard handgun round of Spain until about the time of NATO. If you have a bunch, I'm always on the look out for it as I have a soft spot in my heart for Spanish guns and no idea why.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I sorted through the ammo I was given and only found 4 rounds of the Largo 9 mm. I thought there were a lot more. If anyone can use them, send me a PM. I would gladly give them to someone who can use them.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Man, I have to say people around here are really slipping.

The correct answer obviously is, since you have the ammo, you have to get the gun that shoots it.

Fortunately, there are some pretty cool pistols (and even carbines) to choose from.
    Check them out here:

http://www.9mmlargo.com/

------------------------

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    FYI the Spanish used the Astro 400 (?) which could shoot the 9mm Largo and 9x19 interchangeable.

if only 4 cartridges - don't use them!

good luck

Jerry

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    FYI the Spanish used the Astro 400 (?) which could shoot the 9mm Largo and 9x19 interchangeable.

if only 4 cartridges - don't use them!

good luck

Jerry

That's an old claim that goes back many years, but the two cartridges are not really interchangable in the Astra or any gun.

The extracter will often hold a 9mm Parabellum cartridge firmly enough against the breech face so that it will fire, but it is not a good practice, nor is that a deliberate design feature.

Use correct ammo in all guns.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Some time back I won a box of .9mm ammo as a door prize at one of Berwyn's functions. Had no such pistol, but I do now. :D

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I like Threeband's logic, maybe I need to buy another gun!!! See that's why I go to MD shooters to get the best answer to a firearm question.

Thanks for the link to all of the guns that shoot the Largo ammo. I would like one of each please. I need to get my C&R. I have been avoiding getting it, because I figured I would see a lot of great deals on firearms that I didn't know I needed. Now I know it is true.

Thanks.

Man, I have to say people around here are really slipping.

The correct answer obviously is, since you have the ammo, you have to get the gun that shoots it.

Fortunately, there are some pretty cool pistols (and even carbines) to choose from.
    Check them out here:

http://www.9mmlargo.com/

I like Threeband's logic, maybe I need to buy another gun!!! See that's why I go to MD shooters to get the best answer to a firearm question.

Thanks for the link to all of the guns that shoot the Largo ammo. I would like one of each please. I need to get my C&R. I have been avoiding getting it, because I figured I would see a lot of great deals on firearms that I didn't know I needed. Now I know it is true.

Thanks.

------------------------

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    Sarco has Star Supers in 9mm Largo for $135, for non-C&R and $150 for C&R...

4 rounds of Largo, heck, that's like half a mag...

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Sarco has Star Supers in 9mm Largo for $135, for non-C&R and $150 for C&R...

4 rounds of Largo, heck, that's like half a mag...

I was going to say Sarco has had those Star Super Modelos for a while. They also had cases of (corrosive) 9mm Largo ammo cheap.

I don't know if they still have them. Looks like you have to call or check their Shotgun News ad.

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    I was going to say Sarco has had those Star Super Modelos for a while. They also had cases of (corrosive) 9mm Largo ammo cheap.

I don't know if they still have them. Looks like you have to call or check their Shotgun News ad.

They still got some, and both corrosive and non-corrosive 9mm Largo, as of Tuesday when my evil twin ordered more ammo....

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    well its about time tball!

I am so glad you finally figured out how to start a new thread.

You need to get your C&R to buy the 9mm largo so you can shoot those 8 rounds out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom