• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I think it was up a week ago or so.
    At the rate they have been producing the last few months, demand out strips supply, due to new gun owners and then those existing owners who did not previously stock up.
    $60 a box of 50 rnds 9mm FMJ sits on LGS shelves and is slowly bought by new owners.
    A portion of buyers wait in the morning line at big box stores in the off chance they received some overnight.
    My gut feeling is "new buyers" will slow down to a trickle as they are seeing the "end times" are not here. Once the new buyers have their guns and few boxes of ammo that demand should cease.
    If the Covid vaccinations role out late Dec that will be a big help.
    "IF" (big IF), nothing political rocks the boat,, The Ammo shortage will ease slightly come Feb-March. (That is SLIGHTLY).
    Yeah, it will take a year to catch up,, but you wont see 40 person deep lines at BPS every morning and ammo may last a day once out on the shelf instead of minutes.

If politically SHTF,,, all bets are off.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I had a hell of a time finding .35 Rem this evening. Not exactly a common round and I doubt the newbies are buying it up.

last time I checked Gary from High Rock Outfitters (Hogsniper) had about 6 boxes on the shelf in his shop. He is a hike for you, but I think he has it.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I had a hell of a time finding .35 Rem this evening. Not exactly a common round and I doubt the newbies are buying it up.

Dick's had some the other day.

Not my favorite store, but they still had a few oddball rifle rounds.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    last time I checked Gary from High Rock Outfitters (Hogsniper) had about 6 boxes on the shelf in his shop. He is a hike for you, but I think he has it.

Dick's had some the other day.

Not my favorite store, but they still had a few oddball rifle rounds.

Thanks.

I found some online at Midway.com. I didn't need much, just a new/old gun that I don't have any ammo for.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    The great ammo shortage continues

NOT IN MY HOUSE. At the beginning of this, friends asked if I had YEAST.

Of course I had Yeast. And black beans.

Just keep your fingers off of my lead.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I can’t find 300 PRC anywhere. Who the hell bought all the rare specialty “boutique” long range precision match rifle ammo? I’ll eat my hat if new panic buyers bought a 300 PRC for home defense. Have a case on order thru my LGS, no idea when that will arrive. It would seem I didn’t think the purchase of this rifle through all the way.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I think it was up a week ago or so.
    At the rate they have been producing the last few months, demand out strips supply, due to new gun owners and then those existing owners who did not previously stock up.
    $60 a box of 50 rnds 9mm FMJ sits on LGS shelves and is slowly bought by new owners.
    A portion of buyers wait in the morning line at big box stores in the off chance they received some overnight.
    My gut feeling is "new buyers" will slow down to a trickle as they are seeing the "end times" are not here. Once the new buyers have their guns and few boxes of ammo that demand should cease.
    If the Covid vaccinations role out late Dec that will be a big help.
    "IF" (big IF), nothing political rocks the boat,, The Ammo shortage will ease slightly come Feb-March. (That is SLIGHTLY).
    Yeah, it will take a year to catch up,, but you wont see 40 person deep lines at BPS every morning and ammo may last a day once out on the shelf instead of minutes.

If politically SHTF,,, all bets are off.

Until Harris and O'Rourke start spouting, then its every thing starts over

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Fair weather shooters will be buying less ammo. Hoarders that have not hoarded enough will gobble things up. who knows that early 2020 will be like.
    I want to hear more about reloading primer production and imports !
    Traditionally a 3cents a piece, even 4 cents right now if AVAILABLE would be tolerable.
    I'd much rather see the manufacturers make that extra penny in the short term than the people buying and flipping them

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Primer imports would definitely relieve some stress in the reloading market. Powder Valley seemed to say in their article that foreign primer production had also been impacted by COVID, and Murom in Russia was having management issues on top of it.

In general, the ammo market also got bit by Remington's problems, as they were running about half capacity before Vista bought them.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I can’t find 300 PRC anywhere. Who the hell bought all the rare specialty “boutique” long range precision match rifle ammo? I’ll eat my hat if new panic buyers bought a 300 PRC for home defense. Have a case on order thru my LGS, no idea when that will arrive. It would seem I didn’t think the purchase of this rifle through all the way.

Not 300 PRC, but I was speaking with a guy who sells ammo at gun shows. He explained this to be.
    He sells, a lot of odd and obsolete ammo, along with hunting calibers. He was telling me, at the Frederick show that he had been lugging around a lot of calibers like 32 S&W, 32 S&W long, 38 colt, etc. for years, with hardly any sells. He said, now with this “run on guns and ammo”, he’s selling a lot of it.

He basically was telling me people ( not “gun people”) couldn’t find guns, or wanted a gun right away, (no HQL) so they dug out grandpa’s old guns, so at least they had something.
    Same thing, they were pulling out the old hunting rifles, so they wanted/needed ammo.

This kinda,

Makes total since to me. This is why we are having a hard time finding anything.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

The sheer volume of .35 Rem Model 8 and 81 sales I've seen over the past 3-6 months on GB alone would explain a shortage. Add in the fact that this year's deer hunting season has seen some of the highest participation percentages and success rates in the past 20-30 years and it's no surprise that it's hard to find.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Could be most production has shifted to more common rounds? Less supply / same demand equals shortage.

Pretty much all the center fire rounds are off the same line.

It takes time (lost production) and effort to switch the lines over to another caliber. So why do that when you can sell more of the common calibers than you can make?

But as long as people are snapping up ammo, at inflated prices, the shortage and high prices will be with us. Once everyone starts to slow down their buying, and not paying excessively, things will settle back down.

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    I haven't been in a store in awhile, but is 22lr having the same issues?

I don't know why that one would be getting the big hoarding bump but since you can't find a 22 rifle new in stock most places, maybe there is the same issue?

I'll hopefully need some squirrel whacking rounds soon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I was thinking of buying a 6.5PRC rifle to mess with for something different until checked ammo. Either unavailable or little had seen was $5 per round. No thanks, will wait I guess no point in buying rifle optic etc.. if cannot enjoy.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    My hope is that the rush slows and the lefties stay quiet long enough for ammo to remain on shelves for 12 hours at normal prices,, And I can stock 2 years worth before they start running their yaps.
    Just need to make it until 2022

Until Harris and O'Rourke start spouting, then its every thing starts over

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom