• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    This weekend is going to be the October full moon. The "Blue Moon". Do you believe that deer come into estrus due to the full moon around this time of the year? I've seen guys on tv claim that this is the case and read some articles about it.

I think a lot of guys where I live believe it because I've started seeing a lot more hunters here.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I drove to Myrtle Beach on friday and back on monday. I saw a lot more road kill than usual. That is usually a sign as well.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I think the next few weeks will look like the rut. It's not a one day event. I haven't been able to hunt until this coming weekend, but will be hitting it hard starting Saturday morning.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Don't know about the deer, but I suspect something will come out on the full ( blue) moon, and it will probably not be pleasant.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Does will come into estrous within 2 weeks after the full moon(second full moon after the autumn equinox).

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Over the years me and a buddy that bow hunted and between the 2 of us had eyes in the woods a good part of the rut, came up with Halloween was a great time to hit the grunt call as the bucks are on the prowl and the rut was in full swing between the 5th and 15th of November.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Over the years me and a buddy that bow hunted and between the 2 of us had eyes in the woods a good part of the rut, came up with Halloween was a great time to hit the grunt call as the bucks are on the prowl and the rut was in full swing between the 5th and 15th of November.
    This is key. It doesn't really matter when the does come into estrous. Bucks ALWAYS start prowling at the same time every year. End of October, beginning of November. They respond to diminishing daylight.

Don't hunt the rut. Hunt the pre-rut if you are looking for trophy bucks.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I watched s nice 10 pointer for an hour last evening and this evening

He’s ready

Neck swelled up and looks like he’s sweating

Nose up and flared out

Chasing all the small bucks like a lunatic and trying to gore them

And sniffing every doe in the field

He’s ready but the girls weren’t ripe and it’s driving him mad

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    This is key. It doesn't really matter when the does come into estrous. Bucks ALWAYS start prowling at the same time every year. End of October, beginning of November. They respond to diminishing daylight.

Don't hunt the rut. Hunt the pre-rut if you are looking for trophy bucks.
    I watched a huge one last night at 545 from the road headed right toward my dad and my buddys stands. Of course neither was in the woods. They are definitely on the move right now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

eshoremd

May 22, 2014
    Pasadena
    There have been NUMEROUS studies done on the moon and when does go into estrous. As far as I know there is no correlation between the two. Does generally go into estrous within the same 48hr period every year.

Just hunt as much as possible between halloween and turkey day.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    There have been NUMEROUS studies done on the moon and when does go into estrous. As far as I know there is no correlation between the two. Does generally go into estrous within the same 48hr period every year.

Just hunt as much as possible between halloween and turkey day.

Winner, I don't think the moon has much to do with deer activity except allow them to see better at night when its full and avoid humans more.

Female deer are short day breeders, so they generally come into estrus in the fall, from October to December (Dewey). This is triggered mainly by a decrease in photoperiod. A hormone called melatonin is produced by the pineal gland in response to the onset of darkness. When it reaches a certain level in the blood plasma it induces estrus

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    I am 100% convinced that the moon plays a major part in the rut. I have kept a log for over 20 years of my harvests and the deer activity Ive witnessed from mid Oct thru the end of Nov. In my late teens I met Charles Alsheimer and talked to him for a couple hours. He introduced me to his theory. I read his book and really started paying attention and keeping track. He had it figured out. His rut predictions for the last 20 years have been pretty spot on. Even with a couple odd ball years that were in his forecast. I still read his book every year in early Oct just to refresh my memory.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I am 100% convinced that the moon plays a major part in the rut. I have kept a log for over 20 years of my harvests and the deer activity Ive witnessed from mid Oct thru the end of Nov. In my late teens I met Charles Alsheimer and talked to him for a couple hours. He introduced me to his theory. I read his book and really started paying attention and keeping track. He had it figured out. His rut predictions for the last 20 years have been pretty spot on. Even with a couple odd ball years that were in his forecast. I still read his book every year in early Oct just to refresh my memory.

This is the same theory I go by. I believe Charlie had it right. :thumbsup:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa

So what is his prediction for this year?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So what is his prediction for this year?
    He's dead. My prediction is based on Alsheimer's theory.

None of this matters as much as people think. Like I've said repeatedly, the bucks get on the move the same time every year. Their actions are governed by the shortening of the daylight. That never changes from year to year. Who cares what day the does enter their estrous cycle.

HUNT THE PRE-RUT!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom