• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    So without giving too much info, I work for the state. I work for a job where I can be put in at risk positions for threat or possible harm.

Clearly I know the laws about not carrying on state property. However, if I am using my own vehicle for work purposes, am I allowed legally to have my firearm in my vehicle ?

Any links or info would be helpful. I have searched and cannot find an answer. I do not feel comfortable asking a superior at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    I should add that I have a personal protection carry permit with no restrictions.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    If the state says no weapons are allowed on the premises then they are not allowed. Same as any business, if they are prohibited.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    If the state says no weapons are allowed on the premises then they are not allowed. Same as any business, if they are prohibited.

I travel in my personal vehicle. Never take my firearm on state property

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Sometimes I do work inside of my vehicle. Sometimes I have to get out which I know I cannot carry while on work time.

I would ask myself this. Are the chances of you getting fired and losing your Wear and Carry permit (if they found out), greater than the chances you getting attacked?

Are you a state employee or some sort of contractor? How is it that you have your permit?

Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    I would ask myself this. Are the chances of you getting fired and losing your Wear and Carry permit (if they found out), greater than the chances you getting attacked?

Are you a state employee or some sort of contractor? How is it that you have your permit?

Permit is for personal reasons. Unrelated to work.
    I work with the vulnerable population in the county that I live in. Currently I do not bring my firearm to any work related trips. I was just curious if any one know can I carry it in my personal vehicle legally while on work time.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Permit is for personal reasons. Unrelated to work.
    I work with the vulnerable population in the county that I live in. Currently I do not bring my firearm to any work related trips. I was just curious if any one know can I carry it in my personal vehicle legally while on work time.

"on work time" is "at work". In my opinion.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Not a lawyer, but I highly doubt it would be or is condone. However, that does not mean you could pose the question to your HR department. In a manner carefully stating you concern regarding personal safety assume that was the reason and manner in which you received the carry permit.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Just thought since I was in my own vehicle it would be different. But what you said Makes sense. Thank you

Just to parse it down one more time.. I would think if I'm in my vehicle, I wouldn't need it per say.
    If you're not on state property and then use it carrying while away from your vehicle, I think you would still be "A state employee involved in a shooting". I wouldn't like to be making that headline in the news.

However. . If that use of force is not related to your personal reason why you in fact have the permit for, how's that look in the eyes of the state police, regardless if it's unrestricted.

I'm just brainstorming here. Lol

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just thought since I was in my own vehicle it would be different. But what you said Makes sense. Thank you k

Do they pay you mileage for the driving you do?

If so, in many cases during the time you are driving it for work, it is a work vehicle.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Talk to your Boss, HR or Security and get an exemption.

I would not talk to anyone at work about CCW, even if you have a wear and carry. It will get you flagged, especially HR. They are there to protect the employer, not you.Think about it. You work for the state. Not the most 2a friendly employer.

Just don't carry while on work time. Problem solved.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    its not illegal, but you could be violating company policy. your vehicle doesn't transform into state property when you drive it. whose name is on the title? yours means it your vehicle.

permit allows you to carry anywhere that isn't prohibited by law. your employer has the ability to make it against company policy to carry while working, but doubt there is any law to enforce that. just grounds for disciplinary action or dismissal.

delete this thread and do what you will.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    I work for the government as well. Though not state. Where I am located is a constitutional carry state. Not where I live just where I work. We cant take ours in the buildings but I can tell you %25 of the vehicles have them locked up safely inside our vehicles.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    its not illegal, but you could be violating company policy. your vehicle doesn't transform into state property when you drive it. whose name is on the title? yours means it your vehicle.

Not necessarily.

If they are paying you mileage, you are basically renting them the vehicle when you are using it for business.

If you check your insurance, you will probably find that you are not covered during those periods, and that you come under the coverage of your employer.

And they can actually enforce things like seat belt use and such in your own car when you are driving for business.

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    I have a friend who is now retired, but was a social worker in NYC, and it was pretty dangerous work in unsafe neighborhoods. Eventually my friend decided its better to become a parole officer, and carry a firearm for work/personal protection. If you have legal council or a union rep at work talk to them, if you are shy about discussing this subject with you manager.

The state will not let any civilian employee carry while working or have a firearm on state property. There are no exceptions. Keep in mind the parking lot is most likely on state property.

I know state troopers that retired and then got civilian jobs with msp. Even they are not allowed to carry while working.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom