• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    They should send trucks all around md

I think that’s a great way to get food to those who don’t want to stand n lines to get in and out of grocery stores

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have not been to the store in a week.
    I was eating a salad with chicken 4-5 days a week during my lunch.
    Not for the past month. I feel I'm part to blame.
    I have a big freezer, maybe I should go buy some chicken to help things out.
    The toll on the nation is getting more clear every day.

I work in Engineering but get involved in supply chain issues all the time at work.
    The logistics for pushing up and pushing out inventory is very painful when forecasts change.
    Right now, its hell trying to push things out.
    Just like Chickens, electronics don't just show up the day you want them, you have to plan things out MONTHS ahead of time. Putting a stop to it is like the front of the conga line hitting a wall!
    hopefully, they can redirect the chicken meat to places that deal in canning but I guess that just is not cost effective?

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I was just read for some reason chicken farmers will be killing 2 million chickens

No processing capacity. Too many people calling in "sick", or afraid to work (aka getting more money on unemployment than working).

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Wish I would have seen this earlier. I would have gotten it for my father in law. It is a good deal.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Culling 2 million.

https://www.delawareonline.com/stor...humanely-kill-birds-amid-covid-19/2984222001/

They are also ramping down the hatcheries as well. It takes 3-4 months to ramp back up, so we will have another chicken shortage until staffing resumes, and the chicken population scales back up.

They are selling frozen chicken at these sales mentioned here.

Damn, if I was closer I'd be trying go buy 12 or 15 live birds for a couple bucks apiece and butcher them myself.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Damn, if I was closer I'd be trying go buy 12 or 15 live birds for a couple bucks apiece and butcher them myself.

The producers (Perdue/Tyson/Amick/Mountaire/Allen Harim) would never sell you a live unprocessed bird.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    The producers (Perdue/Tyson/Amick/Mountaire/Allen Harim) would never sell you a live unprocessed bird.

But isn't this at the big chicken houses where the growers are raising the birds for these producers?
    I'm sure your right, if a house has a thousand birds that were due at the processing plant every week then my trying to keep a dozen or two from being wasted would just be a waste of time on their part. However if 100 people were to take 10 live birds for their own consumption that would save a lot of food from being wasted.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    But isn't this at the big chicken houses where the growers are raising the birds for these producers?
    I'm sure your right, if a house has a thousand birds that were due at the processing plant every week then my trying to keep a dozen or two from being wasted would just be a waste of time on their part. However if 100 people were to take 10 live birds for their own consumption that would save a lot of food from being wasted.
    USDA rules Im sure

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Today at the grocery store there was ZERO chicken products in the meat section. Very scarce packets of ground beef.

rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County
    Go to mountaineer s Facebook page, they are doing this a bunch, but it looks like the MD ones are on the eastern shore. We went to the church in Salisbury today, very well run.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Admittedly I don't know jack sh$t about what goes on in a chicken plant but couldn't they just get them to whole chickens for retail sales? Sure I like to buy boneless thighs or breast and what not but would rather see the plants roll out whole chickens rather then just waste livestock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom