• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Good think it’s not about abortion or this case would make it to the Supreme Court tomorrow.

SteYourGoals

Mar 16, 2020
    I heard multiple people say it’s because he is related to someone in DC government, and they keep him as the only one so he can charge huge prices (it’s $125 for a transfer, which is really high I am told)

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Why is Mr Sykes the only ffl in dc? Is it possible for another person to get licensed?

I heard multiple people say it’s because he is related to someone in DC government, and they keep him as the only one so he can charge huge prices (it’s $125 for a transfer, which is really high I am told)

He had 1 before it was legal for citizens in DC to purchase firearms and with current zoning requirements its hard for anyone else to do it. They had to provide him the space in the building to make him legal after new zoning laws went into place.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Wow... just wow.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
      untitled.jpg
      13.9 KB · Views: 393

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    Unfortunately that would be a felony if I got pulled over on the way home. Even having a bullet casing is a crime here if you don’t have a registered firearm.

Not quite true. In DC you have 48 hours to register the gun, but if you buy from a FFL you will have a "waiting" period during which you can get the gun registered and then go pick it up.

Helpful tip: Don't go to gun registration until the waiting period is complete. If you go sooner, you'll have to go back again (after the wait) to pick up the registration card.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    If gun registration is still open, you do not need to transfer through Charles Sykes to register a long gun.

You can do a transfer or buy from an out of state local FFL.

You will have to arrange the sale/transfer from the FFL/gun store. Then take the form PD-219 to the FFL/gun store. You will fill out some of the form and they fill out their part. You will bring the PD-219 to registration. After they approve the registration you can go back to the gun store and pick up your gun. As mentioned there is a 10 day waiting period from the date of purchase to approval, a training requirement, and fingerprinting.

It is probably best to call registration to confirm their status and additional details about registration requirements.

SteYourGoals

Mar 16, 2020
    Thanks for the really specific info. The MPD site is not clear about this at all, they speak about "handgun" and "firearm" interchangeably sometimes so I just assumed it was all under the same laws.

Is there a gun store in MD or VA that anyone would suggest? I'm going to try to purchase a 9mm carbine for the time being, just so I have something. I really was doing a lot of handgun research but I feel a 9mm carbine would be enough for me to feel safe in my home, and then I can use the ammo for my eventual handgun.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Thanks for the really specific info. The MPD site is not clear about this at all, they speak about "handgun" and "firearm" interchangeably sometimes so I just assumed it was all under the same laws.

Is there a gun store in MD or VA that anyone would suggest? I'm going to try to purchase a 9mm carbine for the time being, just so I have something. I really was doing a lot of handgun research but I feel a 9mm carbine would be enough for me to feel safe in my home, and then I can use the ammo for my eventual handgun.

Engage Armament or United Gun Shop are both in Rockville and are good shops

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

Not trying to change your mind, but for many years as a newbie gun owner, 9mm seemed like the best caliber for my needs.

Over time, seeing how 55gr 5.56 performs - ie, 4.5x the muzzle energy as a 9mm, relatively inexpensive and easy to find, more versatile if ever needed at medium to longer ranges, and most importantly to me, not very good at passing through barriers., making it an ideal caliber for home defense where over penetration is a concern.

This is all just my opinion, but from what I have seen and heard of, 9mm ammo is more likely to over - penetrate through walls and cinder block when compared to many 5.56 loads. And 5.56/.223 gives you a much greater man-stopper.

It's all your choice though. At the end of the day, whatever you are most comfortable with is what is the best load for you. And you are right that when you purchase a handgun, a common caliber will provide an advantage. Some redundancy is an important part of a home defense set up.

SteYourGoals

Mar 16, 2020
    That's great to know. I've been looking into the penetration issue, which is why I was going to go 9 instead of 45 with the handgun.

But here are the "assault" weapon definitions for DC:

A semiautomatic, rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(aa) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(bb) A thumbhole stock;

(cc) A folding or telescoping stock;

(dd) A grenade launcher or flare launcher;

(ee) A flash suppressor; or

(ff) A forward pistol grip;

And you can't have a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds.

So placing those restrictions on guns, it eliminates nearly every 5.56 gun I've been able to easily find. There are a good number of 10+1 round 9mm rifles, but that's few and far between for 5.56 it seems. I'm actually concerned that "A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon" might restrict me from buying even most 9mm carbines. I need to look into exactly what that means.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    That's great to know. I've been looking into the penetration issue, which is why I was going to go 9 instead of 45 with the handgun.

But here are the "assault" weapon definitions for DC:

A semiautomatic, rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(aa) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(bb) A thumbhole stock;

(cc) A folding or telescoping stock;

(dd) A grenade launcher or flare launcher;

(ee) A flash suppressor; or

(ff) A forward pistol grip;

And you can't have a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds.

So placing those restrictions on guns, it eliminates nearly every 5.56 gun I've been able to easily find. There are a good number of 10+1 round 9mm rifles, but that's few and far between for 5.56 it seems. I'm actually concerned that "A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon" might restrict me from buying even most 9mm carbines. I need to look into exactly what that means.

Most 9mm carbines are no go because of the grip.

For 5.56 you can look into Mini-14 or Fightlite SCR. There are probably others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom