• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have a pre 2013 AR15 it was a 16” with a Magpul hanguard, Magpul ACS stock. I upgraded only s BHW 18” bull barrel and a free float 15” had guard sometime in 2017. The barrel is not marked HBAR. Can I legally sale this rifle in the state of MD. If not can I engrave HBAR on barrel as this what it is. Yes for a 18” rifle it is heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    I have a pre 2013 AR15 it was a 16” with a Magpul hanguard, Magpul ACS stock. I upgraded only s BHW 18” bull barrel and a free float 15” had guard sometime in 2017. The barrel is not marked HBAR. Can I legally sale this rifle in the state of MD. If not can I engrave HBAR on barrel as this what it is. Yes for a 18” rifle it is heavy.

Short answer, no, not in MD. I'll let others with better abilities to articulate why.

Why I wanted to comment is that you may want to wait a year or so when you will be able to sell it for double what you'll be able to today. Just a word of advice. If you're curious, just look here:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=232043

The important question is this...
    Was it advertised by the manufacturer/dealer as a heavy barrel? If the answer is yes, and you can document it, YES, you can sell it in Marylandistan.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    So if it is marketed as a bull barrel, my assumption is that is not a HBAR based upon strict language. But can company then market any rifle as a HBAR merely because it is not a government profile pencil barrel and by the standards of a pencil barrel it is a heavy barrel. I know, I know we are in Marylandstan. It does not have to make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So if it is marketed as a bull barrel, my assumption is that is not a HBAR based upon strict language. But can company then market any rifle as a HBAR merely because it is not a government profile pencil barrel and by the standards of a pencil barrel it is a heavy barrel. I know, I know we are in Marylandstan. It does not have to make sense.

The barrel has to be marked or marketed as a “heavy barrel”. It does not make sense.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Damn. I just looked that barrel up and their "Bull" barrel is .936" at the gas block, but isn't marketed as a HBAR or heavy barrel. It is even "heavier" than a heavy barrel.

IANAL

Yep it heavy but it is accurate. The questions is can I sell it in MD.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun

who makes the lower parts?

you can always sell them separetely or out of state

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Sell the upper to "anyone, anywhere" and keep the lower. Why get rid of a pre 2013 lower?

Seriously, never get rid of a pre-2013 lower in Maryland!

Are you exiting the AR platform entirely, and for good? If not, and it's money you are trying to raise there is so many other possessions you could sell to get the $250 to $350 for an AR lower.

If it's the barrel you don't like, by all means, sell it. There is no law preventing you from selling that barrel to any buyer in MD because it is an unserialized gun part and legal to buy or own.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Seriously, never get rid of a pre-2013 lower in Maryland!

Are you exiting the AR platform entirely, and for good? If not, and it's money you are trying to raise there is so many other possessions you could sell to get the $250 to $350 for an AR lower.

If it's the barrel you don't like, by all means, sell it. There is no law preventing you from selling that barrel to any buyer in MD because it is an unserialized gun part and legal to buy or own.

Basically this is a business associate I know. I have a 16” pre 2012 AR from Loki Weapon Systems right before thenATF shut them down. I believe they were selling AR’s below the radar. Since then from 2015 on I have built six 6 AR’s. Three AR15’s Three AR10’s. The AR15’s are a 18” bull and a 20” Bull in 223. Both BHW. I also built a 264 LBC 20” standard profile BHW barrel. My last lower build was an 80% Juggernaut tactical. The other lowers are and Aero precision , and one is a Anderson Lower.

I also built two other AR10’s with Aero Precision uppers one 20” BHW BULL and one 20” semi bull. One has an Aero Precision Lower, one is a Juggernaut Tactical 80% Lower. I also built a Guntech upper with a 22” Light profile 260 Rem BHW upper. Which will soon become its own rifle as I just recently purchased a Noreen 308 Lower, which I still have to machine.

Bottom line is I love building these things and my business acquaintance want and AR but not an off the shelf model. So I told him I would sell him one of my AR 15’s. He wants the 18” bull. So to me I’ll sell it and then I will build another AR15 probably an 80% Lower. Maybe in 6mm like a 243 LBC.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I can alway sell him either the Aero Precision or Anderson Lower and just move around the pieces. Keep the LWS Lower. The only thing that has me going is that even thought the barrel is more than an HBAR definition can be construed as, since the barrel only reads BHW 223 WYLDE 1-8 twist. I can not sale it as a component of the lower is because it is not lettered HBAR. Even though it meets the intent of the law.

I also think If it was me (the buyer) I would get a Saint or such as my first AR and see If I like it. You can pickup one for $750 +/-. This gun with everything on it is pushing $1,200 in parts. But then again the BHW barrel on this rifle is pretty sick. It’s sub MOA when I do my part

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Sell the upper to "anyone, anywhere" and keep the lower. Why get rid of a pre 2013 lower?

This!

Sad thing is that the term "H-BAR" is/was a registered Colt trademark and yet no one held the state to task for using the term in the law. There should have been a multi-billion dollar class action suit.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This!

Sad thing is that the term "H-BAR" is/was a registered Colt trademark and yet no one held the state to task for using the term in the law. There should have been a multi-billion dollar class action suit.

Why? The state said that specific Colt was okay and MSP based on the law saying copies of banned rifles are banned interpreted it to say that copies of the Colt H-BAR were legal because the law specifically calls that model out as legal. MSP further said a copy of a Colt H-BAR must be marked or marketed as heavy barrel or H-BAR as that was the only real distinguishing difference between the Colt H-BAR Sporter and all other AR-15 models that were banned.

I have a barrel or two that are marked H-BAR and Colt sure didn’t make them (I also have a couple that are not marked, but were/are marketed as heavy and also of course fit the profile of a heavy barrel).

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Why am I unable to access this page/link?

It's in the "Water Cooler" portion of the site which is limited to those with under 50 posts.

The link basically refers to if Dems win next elections, demand for firearms will go up and prices with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom