• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Looking at recent failed legal challenges in calif to ban and criminalize possession of detachable mags holding more than 10, i feel some what confident that the maryland legislation will ban hi caps and also criminalize their possession this session. Unless the chair of the house judiciary committee, joe vallario, tables it. But he’s a democrat from PG County and i don’t see a lot of support in PG for gun rights. As a defense lawyer, he may, but bet he will not. Will zirkin support it on the senate side? Miller, whose from a rural county? i think it will get favorably voted on and go to the governor for signature. Hopefully, he will have the stones to stand up to the legislature and veto such a bill, because he is our last line of defense. If this bill passes, mere possession will be a criminal offense. That’s inside the house as well as outside. After the fire, in addition to the loss, imagine getting charged because hi caps were found in the ruins of your home. As written, there are judicial challenges available, but our 4th cir has shown itself unwilling to rule in a way that would invalidate the law, at least if it’s kolbe decision is an indicator ( to me, its a strong indicator). Wonder whether this bill is on Hogan’s radar? If anyone knows him well, might have a talk with him about this bill. It will serve to protect no one from a bound and determined person who will have these mags avail from surrounding states with ease.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I expect it to pass easily...

I expect the Governor to Veto the Bill...

And I expect the legislature to over ride his veto on the 1st day of the 2019 legislative session...

This is Merry-Land what else would we expect..?

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    I expect it to pass easily...

I expect the Governor to Veto the Bill...

And I expect the legislature to over ride his veto on the 1st day of the 2019 legislative session...

This is Merry-Land what else would we expect..?

Can't be over ridden next session. It has to start from scratch due date the election

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Silly rabbit ...

Really..?

Suppose that Hogan wins re-election, can't they over ride it in that case..?

THAT is why they are pushing it ... To have an issue they can hang on Hogan so he DOESN'T win re-election.

Join us 'on-the-bricks' and call out Miller, Zirkin, and the whole bunch of sicko opportunists who will use a horrific tragedy to win and election.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I could be wrong, but I think that is the reason for the some_what light assault on law abiding citizens in this session. I believe if this was a 'normal' session we would have 20+ bills up for adoption due to all the crazies shooting up others out there.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Really..?

Suppose that Hogan wins re-election, can't they over ride it in that case..?

Like the opposition, one step at a time with eyes forward. Why do you say the governor will veto such a bill? Because of the criminalization of otherwise law abiding citizens?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This thing is gonna die in committee. There has been almost zero press about this bill, and the focus of the MDGA Democrats is the bump stock ban bill, which Hogan has already said he'd sign.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    This thing is gonna die in committee. There has been almost zero press about this bill, and the focus of the MDGA Democrats is the bump stock ban bill, which Hogan has already said he'd sign.

Don’t bet on this. The magazine bill was requested by the Baltimore City Administration and every Baltimore legislator from the Senate and House are pushing this in each chamber.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I commented on a thread not long ago that I have no optimism left for Maryland pertaining to the 2A. I want out...NOW. If I could sell my house for what I owe on it today, I'd be moved out by tomorrow and in a free state. I would live in a tent there until I found a new house. If anyone knows of someone in real estate who's looking to buy or can sell fast, message me. I'm fed up with MD's bs. Maryland reminds me of the nosey bitch neighbor who can't mind her own business.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I commented on a thread not long ago that I have no optimism left for Maryland pertaining to the 2A. I want out...NOW. If I could sell my house for what I owe on it today, I'd be moved out by tomorrow and in a free state. I would live in a tent there until I found a new house. If anyone knows of someone in real estate who's looking to buy or can sell fast, message me. I'm fed up with MD's bs. Maryland reminds me of the nosey bitch neighbor who can't mind her own business.

Why come into a thread to claim retreat when others are working on how to fight?

Wish you all the best for your eventual move.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Don’t bet on this. The magazine bill was requested by the Baltimore City Administration and every Baltimore legislator from the Senate and House are pushing this in each chamber.
    Unless you've got inside information, I'm not impressed. They weren't even willing to put their own names on the bill. There's a reason MSI isn't freaking out about this bill.

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    Would the pending federal level bump stock ban cause the Maryland legislature to move on to the next thing? Would the Supreme Court's refusal to hear the California case on magazines embolden Maryland democRats to go after mags here? We definitely need to keep fighting at every step.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Doesn't each state that prohibits standard magazines have a grandfather clause? If it passes, how many PO Boxes will be added on our border to beat the clock.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    You have more faith in Hogan than I do

I agree. Hogan is in re-election mode. He must have a certain number of Democratic votes to win re-election.

Most anything he vetoes this term of the MGA will most certainly haunt him leading to the November election.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    In Colorado today bills are being heard in both the House and Senate to repeal the 15 round magazine limit. The House is controlled by D's and the Senate by R's so this has a fighting chance. (Ironically my Rep is R and my state senator is a D). Each year it passes the Senate and misses the House by a handful of votes. I really wanted to go testify today but I have a bad sinus infection so I've had to resort to phone calls and emails to all the state reps, not just mine.

NRA-ILA sent an email a couple days ago about the House and Senate bills in Colorado and had a link that I could click on to send emails to my two reps. Did the NRA-ILA do that for you guys in Maryland?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I agree. Hogan is in re-election mode. He must have a certain number of Democratic votes to win re-election.

Most anything he vetoes this term of the MGA will most certainly haunt him leading to the November election.

I disagree. Keep in mind Anthony guns-in-schoolyards Brown tried to run on gun control, as did a number of candidates that year, and lost.

Hogan will simply say that the bills he vetoed would not stop any of the 340 murders in Baltimore and move on. Homicides are up way up since the legislature passed FSA 2013.

Baltimore has a repeat offender problem, and a police corruption problem. Also a lot of other issues. Not a gun or magazine problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom