• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sounds like bad advice to me. At the very least use a brass squib rod. Albeit it more than likely it will work and I'm confident it will in this case, but for something that's really stuck never use anything that is softer than the material you are trying to drive out.

I'm not a fan of wood dowels either. Had one split and wedge around a .50 cal sabot while trying to unload my BP for the season. Made things even harder. I like cleaning rods with flat brass jags.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I'm not a fan of wood dowels either. Had one split and wedge around a .50 cal sabot while trying to unload my BP for the season. Made things even harder. I like cleaning rods with flat brass jags.

Thats a bitch when a wood dowel breaks off or shatters flush with the muzzle or breech. You have to make a "sock" to get it out.
    So Im giving away secrets here. If that happens, find a nylon cover that fits over a small diameter chain, like the kind you see protecting swing set chains.
    Get it over the rod and make sure its long enough that you can grab it with a pair of pliers. When you tug, it will grip the rod.
    Sometimes you may run across small woven nylon rope that when you push it together, the center opens up like a Chinese finger. If your lucky on a modern MZ just unscrew the breech plug of course.
    You can also shrink and dry wood inside a barrel to reduce the diameter.
    When I look at any piece of wood that goes into a barrel, I make sure there is no end grain that appears on the outside diameter of the dowel. Things like that are hard to find at Lowes in a length suitable to use for a charging or work rod.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Had a batch that I wound up using the wrong set of prepped brass, still had moisture in the case from sonic cleaning - damp powder charge. :o

Found that at the '15 MDS shoot, primer ignited, put the bullet about 2/2.25" past the chamber - didn't even obturate the base on the round. Knocked it out with very little effort.

No damage to the rifle, just hurt my pride.
    Your pride has been bashed before. I'm much more concerned with Bertha...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Your pride has been bashed before. I'm much more concerned with Bertha...

I completely tore it down after the squib/range trip. No bulge in the barrel, no identifiable detriment to the bore (lands/grooves). After that incident, there was a minimum of 900 rounds put thru that barrel, no change in accuracy or reliability.

Knocked the squib out by hand with my trucks antenna. Probably the BEST case for a bad scenario.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Get an oak dowel and a mallet.
    Drive it back thru the breach.

You had what they call a squib load.
    Less than normal pressure round.

Another good tool to use is a length of fiberglass rod. I buy those Home depot driveway marking flags, then cut them to whatever length I need. We keep them at the trap range in case a wad gets stuck in a shotgun barrel.

JoeR

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I completely tore it down after the squib/range trip. No bulge in the barrel, no identifiable detriment to the bore (lands/grooves). After that incident, there was a minimum of 900 rounds put thru that barrel, no change in accuracy or reliability.

Knocked the squib out by hand with my trucks antenna. Probably the BEST case for a bad scenario.
    You've got the hands of a surgeon...

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I use a 1/4" Diameter x 12" long brass rod...

Drive it back toward where it came from...

Brass is softer than your hardened steel bore = no damage...

IF I'm at the range I tap the brass rod on the floor (after removing the magazine)...

A few firm taps on the floor & it's clear UNLESS you shot a 2nd round into the 1st round...

IF you did shoot a 2nd round, you'll probably need a new barrel = BULGED Barrel..

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You've got the hands of a surgeon...

With a few malpractice suits. :D

*That upper had been completely blown apart maybe 2/3 times, 1st time was to chop the railed gas block and install the rail, bed the barrel extension. 2nd time was after the squib. And I think I had it apart 1 more time to swap the chopped block for an aftermarket, but ended up retaining the one I chopped down, aftermarket wasn't set up for pinning.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Fixed and the wood dowel didn't work, had to use cleaning rod. Thanks for the "tape" trick to keep aligned.

No visible sign of damage to barrel, guess will wait to see how it shoots. Used to make one ragged hole at 25 yards, hope it still does.

Attachments

• 20180205_202532.jpg
      20180205_202532.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 217
    • 20180205_202555.jpg
      20180205_202555.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 219

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    Zerc fitting attachment to the muzzle threads. Use geese gun to push it out with hydraulic pressure

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Zerc fitting attachment to the muzzle threads. Use geese gun to push it out with hydraulic pressure

The feathers make it a messy solution :lol:

I No bulge in the barrel,
    You wouldn't expect one unless the barrel was previously damaged, or you fired a second round.

That's a hell of a antenna.

I squibbed a handload in a Mod 10 S&W and I had to hammer pretty hard on the brass squib rod. Didn't actually have a hammer, so I banged it on the wooden range table. That did bad things to the screw that holds the cylinder.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thank God it wasn't suppressed at the time, could have been bad....

Definitely.

That's a hell of a antenna.

I was simply lucky, only the primer ignited, so the base of the round didn't fully expand to the bore. Popped the upper off, pulled the BCG, and 2 quick taps was all it took to pop that 300gr Plated HP out. Didn't even bow the antenna. Took more time to clean out all the unburnt H110 than it did to clear the bore.

If there's any doubts about that upper, just let me know, I'll move some stuff around and buy it back, gladly.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Congratulations on get it cleared. If anyone every has the same problem try leaving the barrel in the freezer overnight, before you start hammering.

Good luck

Jerry

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

I did that on a sidelock muzzleloader once. Used grease too. Someone told me to get cheap hand cream next time. easier to clean up. No choice with the sidelock. Ball was stuck due to improper cut wad that got stuck.

Where would one find an adaptor to fit the zerc to the muzzle threads? BTW, if this was an AR with a gas port, this would not work eh.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    It'll be fine. It's not like you stacked a few rounds behind it. ;)

I had 4 rounds of 45ACP stack up in one of my subguns. (Steel cased Wolf which I no longer use in that gun) Fortunately, it had had a very slow full auto rate of fire so it was not more. There was no damage to the barrel. I ended up using a 6" long drywall type screw into the back side of the last 3 bullets and pulling them out backwards. The initial squib round I was able to tap out forward with a wooden dowel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom