• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Looking to get a new bolt action rifle to mostly use for deer and possibly varmit, also some paper punching next year. Coyote if I can find em. I have 30-06 and 308 covered.
    Want something slightly smaller. 22-250,223,243,6.5,25-06 etc.

With all the good to great cartridges and rifles what criteria would you use to narrow the selection. Cost has a bearing, not looking to go over $600 for the rifle without scope. Give me a cartridge/rifle choice.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Of the one you listed I would mark 22-250 and 223 as varmint only rounds. 223 has some rounds you can use for deer but they have to be high weight bullets and you need a 1:9 twist to shoot it well. Many 223 rounds don't meet the 1200 foot pound required by MD DNR. 223 will kill coyotes find as I got buddies doing it.

243 is an excellent smaller round, IMO. My vote of you listed.
    6.5 is a nice round but expensive to shoot.
    25.06 I don;t have any experience with

To offer more, for deer, but are heavy for varmint:
    My daughter has a 270 and its flat out kick ass on deer. Light on recoil like the 243 and hit the deer like a hammer.
    30.06 is my favorite, but you have that.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Hard to beat a .243 as a gap cartridge for hunting, if the idea is varmints and deer both. Versatility and ready availability of appropriate ammo choices are definitely two of the cartridge's strongest attributes. For many and most, .223 and .243 plus a good 30 caliber will cover all you'll ever need to cover, with most any hunting opportunities available nationally.

Now if you happen to hand load, your potential options become a whole lot wider.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    .243 is a great all around cartridge and gets my vote for most versatile of the bunch with .25-06 coming in a close 2nd.

The .243 runs from light varmint to deer rounds just above 100gr. The .25-06 is based on the 30-06 and starts where the .243 leaves off.

If you didn't already have a .308, I would have said 6.5CM.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I’d go with either a 22-250 or the 243, I’ve taken numerous deer with both and both are easy to find ammo for.
    As for your budget, you can get the Savage line in either an Axis or the 11/111 package deals with a scope already mounted for less than your $600 budget.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    The .22's can do it but are marginal and why risk wounding and not killing. The rest are adequate. I'm getting a 6.5 creed for whitetail. Still though, 308 &30-06 have a better chance of getting it done, quicker and more humanely.

Hornady 143 eldx in 6.5 creed looks pretty good and not much over $20/box.

Shot placement is important always but more with lesser calibers. Energy and bullet diameter matter.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Looking to get a new bolt action rifle to mostly use for deer and possibly varmit, also some paper punching next year. Coyote if I can find em.

Starting out a million and one years ago, I had an Interarms Mark X in 270. Lighter bullets for the coyotes back home in NYS, heavier for deer. Did its job, ammo easily available. If you are truly mostly going for deer and some coyote if the opportunity is provided... I would go with 270

Still have that rifle, took out a hog at 350yds in Fl... straight across the pasture, neighbor and his Dad were amazed that the yankee could shoot LOL

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Thanks guys, how about some rifle selections or brands to stay away from. I like what I see in the RAR but have heard the mags are hit or miss in quality and longevity.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I have an older Stevens 200 .223 that I've killed hundreds of groundhogs with. Love that thing. Even shot 2 deer with it, but is on the small side for deer. I personally use a .270 for deer. Here are my thoughts:

If strictly a varmint gun I'd get a .223 over a 22-250 as seems .223 ammo is easier and cheaper to find.

If you plan on using it for varmints and deer, I'd go with the 243. To me that's the best caliber that can be used for varmints, but also handle taking down deer.

I like a larger gun for deer and smaller one for varmints that way I don't need 2 loads for 1 gun and have to re sight in, etc. or just a deer load on a varmint. Just my 2 cents

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Looking to get a new bolt action rifle to mostly use for deer and possibly varmit,

You're talking about two different rifles there. You want a field gun for deer. Something a little lighter that you can carry around all day. Varmint guns are going to have heavier barrels, because you typically set up in one spot, and shoot multiple times. You need the extra metal to absorb heat. Deer rifle you're typically shooting once, and you're done for the day.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Leaning towards the 2 gun solution, using the 30-06 for deer as usual and maybe .223 for coyote. I want to try Frederick Watershed or Cunningham Falls. Does Savage have any models that have hinged floor plates? Not real interested in detachable mags in bolt actions.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I'd pick the .25-06 for both a varmint and deer rifle. That is actually the next gun I want. I have a .220 Swift, .270 Win, and .30-06, so the .25-06 will fit in nicely and cartridges can be formed from .30-06 brass. I have rifles in other cartridges too (e.g., .222 Rem, .223 Rem, 7.62x39, .300 Win Mag), but .25-06 is next on the list. .243 maybe in a T/C Encore for my son to use on deer.

As gtodave mentioned, my .220 Swift is a very heavy rifle. Granted, my .300 Win Mag is 12 pounds, but the .220 Swift is even heavier. The other bolt guns come in lighter. Think I would even use the .220 Swift on deer, but with Barnes X bullets loaded for it.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    If i were buying a new bolt action for deer and varmit i'd buy a 22-250. My hunting buddy has shot dozens of deer with his and the results are no different than shooting the deer with a 30-06. A proper shot in the vitals will drop them quick.

The bullet may be small, but its flying at 4000fps and thats where your damage is done.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    If i were buying a new bolt action for deer and varmit i'd buy a 22-250. My hunting buddy has shot dozens of deer with his and the results are no different than shooting the deer with a 30-06. A proper shot in the vitals will drop them quick.

The bullet may be small, but its flying at 4000fps and thats where your damage is done.

Yep, I’ve had more deer drop in their tracks with a 22-250 than I ever had with a 30-06, sold the ‘06 because I got tired of having to trail the runners. Seems every exit wound I’ve ever seen with the 22-250 looked like someone had punches a hole in a piece of drywall.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yep, I’ve had more deer drop in their tracks with a 22-250 than I ever had with a 30-06, sold the ‘06 because I got tired of having to trail the runners. Seems every exit wound I’ve ever seen with the 22-250 looked like someone had punches a hole in a piece of drywall.

Just because there is a huge exit wound does not mean that the bullet did a perfect job. Shot a button buck with my .300 Win Mag and Core-Lokt bullets at 20 yards one time right under my tree stand, and there was no exit wound. The bullet blew up inside the deer and deposited all of its kinetic energy within the deer. Blood shot out of the entry hole and the deer dropped like a sack of potatoes where it stood. When I opened it up, the inside of it was a bunch of mush.

The Barnes X bullet is designed to leave a trauma wound inside the animal that looks like a football, with a very small exit hole. A lot of it comes down to proper bullet selection and proper bullet placement.

I would not hesitate to use a 22-250 on deer. Only question would be what the max effective range is for that round with the bullet selected (e.g., speed at target, bullet expansion at said speed, bullet penetration).

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2013/10/killing-energy-how-much-do-you-need-big-game

https://whitetail.winchester.com/2013/the-myth-of-minimum-impact-energy/

https://www.fieldandstream.com/arti...recommended-kinetic-energy-hunting-whitetails

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    2 or 3 generations ago , the idea of a do all deer/ varmit rifle was a real thing , and reasonably popular . Prior to the introduction of the .243 , .250Sav and .257Roberts were popular factory ctgs , as well as buncha wildcats .

The .243 quickly dominated , albeit the original concept of deer/ varmint rifles also changed instead into * lightweight , moderate recoil deer rifle * , with dedicated Varmint Rifles becoming a thing.

For the OP the phrase " and possibly varmint " is not to be tacked on lightly .You need to consider your expectations for varmint. Occasional shot at coyote ? High volume ground hog or prairie dog ?

The former overlaps easily with deer , the latter you will want a dedicated Varmint Rifle .

For the former the obvious choice is .243 . ( Personally I'd rather have a .250 or .257 , but nowdays they are massively outnumbered by .243 .) Every mfg makes a sporter weight .243, and in short order you will recieves dozen plus recomentations .

FWIW, in Texas , .22-250 is highly regarded as deer ctg .

Out west generally .25-06 is highly regard for long range capabilities on game up to deer/ antelope . ( With 115-120gr bullets , long range trajectories similar or better than various.300Magnums , but less recoil .)

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Thanks Charlie, seems like even most mid priced rifles are almost all detachable. Must cost more these days to build them out of wood and put a metal floor plate on than plastic stock and plastic mag. Yuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom