• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Need recommendations for two different guns. Think I know what type of scope I want on them and the brand for one. Just need to narrow it down a little more.

1) ACOG for an AR-15 in .223 with a 16" JP barrel on it. Thinking about going 4x, but I am listening to recommendations on power and reticle. Doubt I am going to buy something other than an ACOG for this gun.

2) Red Dot for an AR-15 in .223 with a 11.5" barrel on it. This will be used mostly for home defense. I cannot see me taking it out hunting because in a couple months from now I will be asking you guys about an optic for an AR-15 in.300 BLK with a 10.5" barrel and if .223 is the right cartridge for the job I would opt for the 16" barrel on the gun above when out hunting. Anyway, I have been thinking and debating between the Vortex SPARC, Burris Fastfire III, or something from Trijicon for this SBR.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Trijicon VCOG/Accupoint for the first one. Yur choice between 1-4x or 1-6x. All the benefits of the ACOG (Dual illumination and robstness) without the drawbacks (short eye relief/fixed magnification.

Trijicon MRO for Numbah 2.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Joebobs just sent out an email on their vortex sparc. Looks like a good price.

Yep. That is what sparked this thread. Debating whether to buy the Vortex, Burris, or Trijicon. Figured I might as well ask about the first rifle too, which turned out to be a good idea because I had not even looked at the VCOG and now that is what I am going to end up buying for the first rifle. I really like the variable power on the VCOG and the reticle. Probably going to cry when I look at the price.

Probably going to go with Mopar's Trijicon recommendation on the second rifle too and get the MRO.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the multi-powers (1-4 and 1-6) def give you some options. true 1x for close stuff and then up to 4x or 6x if you want to reach out a little. it's why they're so popular in 3 gun with close and far targets. before i moved up to 1-6 i had a trijicon accupoint 1-4 with green dot that i really liked.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    lol - I knew this could not be easy. The weight doesn't bother me too much since I use heavier guns for hunting than what this AR-15 will weigh. What is the issue with focus?

Okay first is the price tag: It's simply offensive given the issues, subpar specs, and availability of other 1-6x optics at lower price that are competitive (Razor HD II comes to mind). The focus issue I had with mine was the inability to set focus at the extremes of the magnification range. For instance, correct focus at 1x produced issues with focus at higher mags and correct focus at 6x produced issues with focus at lower mags. Attempting to set focus at 3x reduced the issues, but it was still noticeable. For the price I did NOT want to have that issue with the focus, even if it was a fast focus ring.

As for red dots, you're screwed if you have astigmatism. There are "tricks" to fix dot smear due to astigmatism, but it defeats the utility of the red dot. Not sure if this applies to you, but it's worth mentioning.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I have an ACOG on one of my guns, I believe the TA-31F. If I could do it all over again I would probably buy a Leupold Mk4 1.5-5 or Leupold VX6 1-6x instead. I've also noticed I shoot really well at 2.5x magnification which obviously is a non starter with an ACOG.

As far as red dots, in my opinion the Aimpoint T1, T2, H1, or H2 are hands down winners. I have a Vortex SPARC and while it's okay for the price there is a huge difference in quality between the two. I know a lot of people are biased against Eotech since the scandal, but I still really like mine an haven't experienced any drift.

I personally had a bad experience with the supposed "bullet proof" Trijicon SRS so I may be a little biased against them right now... ;)

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Ive got the spark AR on my 300BO with a 10.5" barrel and I think it's perfect for close range. I was shooting 5" groups at 50 yards. That was using TomKat subsonic loads.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Just put a SPARC on my MPX bUT haven't shot it yet.

I would go elcan all day over acog or the vortex hd2 1-6

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I think if you want an acog get one and don't let anyone talk you out of it. I have a Sparc AR and it's good for its price, but would rather have an aimpoint for HD duty. Deltapoint pro is also a good HD optic in my opinion with the auto on/off function.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I think if you want an acog get one and don't let anyone talk you out of it. I have a Sparc AR and it's good for its price, but would rather have an aimpoint for HD duty. Deltapoint pro is also a good HD optic in my opinion with the auto on/off function.

If you were trained in the service for that old school "nose to the charging handle" cheek weld, you'll like the ACOG...

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    If you were trained in the service for that old school "nose to the charging handle" cheek weld, you'll like the ACOG...

Actually don't own one or ever use one. My comment was based on other similar threads about people with an acog itch( I've been doing a lot of research cause I have that itch!) and it seems the only way to know if it's for you is to own one. I'm also looking at the Elcan OS4.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I've got a Leupold Mk6 1-6 with the TMR-D reticle. It has been a great optic.
    Mil/Mil, low-profile turrets with BDC markings for 5.56 that I found close enough out to 800, usable FFP reticle, daytime bright illumination. I would buy again.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Primary Arms 1-6 acss with the horseshoe reticle. They also just came out with a 1-8. These are both extremely good deals.

I really want the Trijicon MRO for my SBR. But I think there are better deals to be had.

If money is not a major factor, get the Accupoint and the MRO.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    As for red dots, you're screwed if you have astigmatism. There are "tricks" to fix dot smear due to astigmatism, but it defeats the utility of the red dot. Not sure if this applies to you, but it's worth mentioning.

Astigmatism makes a red dot look like a star. There is always the option of a prism sight like a Vortex Spitfire. Much better sight picture. Trade-off is you have more limited sight relief than a red dot.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Just put a SPARC on my MPX bUT haven't shot it yet.

I would go elcan all day over acog or the vortex hd2 1-6

My only complaint about the SPARC AR is you can see some of the electronics at the 5 O'clock position. Does not come close to obscuring the target though and it is a clean option in that it won't snag or get caught on anything if that's a concern. Vortex also has a great warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom