• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Didn't see any specific post/thread...

I have three of Del-Ton complete rifle kits - these come with assembled uppers and BCGs.

I decided to take Clandestine's advice and headspace check these - besides, its good practice at maintenance, etc.

While the headspace checkout out, after reassembling the bolt for one of the uppers, I noticed the firing pin didn't seem to "free float" very well. So, I took out the bolt and tried to push the firing pin through. At the very last 1/8", the pin became hard to push and had a "click" to get it seated all the way into the bolt.

All other firing pins slide in/out of the 1st bolt easily. So, it appears the problem is with the firing pin itself.

I'll be getting a new firing pin, but wondered how common it is for the firing pin to be machined poorly?

Also, one of the other bolts I have seems to have some type of grit/oil inside the firing pin channel. Looks like I'll be cleaning all three bolts and lubing them well.

Edit: Just wanted to add I haven't fired any of these uppers yet. Getting ready to try them out.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    When I got my Del Ton upper, I took the thing apart, cleaned and Chad lubed it. :)

I specifically made sure all the parts went back together. I did not headspace it, as it came as a kit and was HS'ed from the factory already, or at least so I was told....

Did you try swapping the pin from another BCG just to be sure?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Pretty common issue. Superb job with your insepction.

Clean the bolts firing pin channel well. I like hot water and a degreaser like simple green for cleaning steel parts.

FWIW, if the pin isnt bent, you can lap the pin (dont touch the tip). Paint the pin with dykem or a sharpie and insert it into the bolt. This will show where the contact is when you remove it.

Apply jb bore paste or valve compound to the firing pin and work it in and out of the bolt. Clean the bolt and pin and recheck. Repeat until the pin can fall out of the bolt under its own weight.

Firing Pin Protrusion should be between .028 and .036.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Pretty common issue. Superb job with your insepction.

Clean the bolts firing pin channel well. I like hot water and a degreaser like simple green for cleaning steel parts.

FWIW, if the pin isnt bent, you can lap the pin (dont touch the tip). Paint the pin with dykem or a sharpie and insert it into the bolt. This will show where the contact is when you remove it.

Apply jb bore paste or valve compound to the firing pin and work it in and out of the bolt. Clean the bolt and pin and recheck. Repeat until the pin can fall out of the bolt under its own weight.

Firing Pin Protrusion should be between .028 and .036.

Contrary to popular belief....Never. Ever. Touch the tip.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Didn't see any specific post/thread...

I have three of Del-Ton complete rifle kits - these come with assembled uppers and BCGs.

I decided to take Clandestine's advice and headspace check these - besides, its good practice at maintenance, etc.

While the headspace checkout out, after reassembling the bolt for one of the uppers, I noticed the firing pin didn't seem to "free float" very well. So, I took out the bolt and tried to push the firing pin through. At the very last 1/8", the pin became hard to push and had a "click" to get it seated all the way into the bolt.

All other firing pins slide in/out of the 1st bolt easily. So, it appears the problem is with the firing pin itself.

I'll be getting a new firing pin, but wondered how common it is for the firing pin to be machined poorly?

Also, one of the other bolts I have seems to have some type of grit/oil inside the firing pin channel. Looks like I'll be cleaning all three bolts and lubing them well.

Edit: Just wanted to add I haven't fired any of these uppers yet. Getting ready to try them out.

I wonder if I have a bcg issue, my firing pin is very stiff as well, and when you pull the trigger there's no boom alot of times.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I wonder if I have a bcg issue, my firing pin is very stiff as well, and when you pull the trigger there's no boom alot of times.

That could be the firing pin binding or not enough protrusion. It could also be the cam pin, the hammer spring, headspace issues, or the hammer shaft binding on the lower.

KNS pins can also induce light strikes because they dont allow the pins to float as they were intended.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    That could be the firing pin binding or not enough protrusion. It could also be the cam pin, the hammer spring, headspace issues, or the hammer shaft binding on the lower.

KNS pins can also induce light strikes because they dont allow the pins to float as they were intended.

I wish I knew what you were describing so that I could check, I made a thread about this rifle here in this section, if it doesn't work tomorrow im going to meet up with a member and get some help diagnosing what's wrong.

All I want is for my rifle to work.:sad20:

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Thanks for the replies.

I did buy another firing pin - it falls in/out of the bolt on its own weight.

I will try lapping the troublesome pin. Its got a rough spot where it "catches".
    I'll check the protrusion on all the bolt/pins also. We have simple green here somewhere...

I'm wondering if I would have gotten a slam-fire or no-fire with this pin...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I wish I knew what you were describing so that I could check, I made a thread about this rifle here in this section, if it doesn't work tomorrow im going to meet up with a member and get some help diagnosing what's wrong.

All I want is for my rifle to work.:sad20:

Going to a shop?

May I ask the following about your gun?

What lower? Is it an 80%?
    What Trigger Group is in it? Does it have a painted hammer spring"
    Does it have anti rotation pins?

Thanks for the replies.

I did buy another firing pin - it falls in/out of the bolt on its own weight.

I will try lapping the troublesome pin. Its got a rough spot where it "catches".
    I'll check the protrusion on all the bolt/pins also. We have simple green here somewhere...

I'm wondering if I would have gotten a slam-fire or no-fire with this pin...

Yes, those were both possibilities, but no fire is more likely. Slam fires need other things to be wrong to happen with the lockup design of the AR.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Going to a shop?

May I ask the following about your gun?

What lower? Is it an 80%?
    What Trigger Group is in it? Does it have a painted hammer spring"
    Does it have anti rotation pins?

Yes, those were both possibilities, but no fire is more likely. Slam fires need other things to be wrong to happen with the lockup design of the AR.

It's a complete lower from new frontier armory, everything that's in there came from them, I do want to install a metal lower parts kit though.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It's a complete lower from new frontier armory, everything that's in there came from them, I do want to install a metal lower parts kit though.

They have plastic hammers that can lead to problems you describe. They dont have enough weight to reliably ignite primers.

Some hammers have to be fit to the NFA Poly Lowers because the pocket in the lower can be too narrow.

There could be other issues in the upper causing the failures to fire. Even things like the extractor can cause a gun to have problems going into battery.

Just make sure who ever is helping you really understands the gun well.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    They have plastic hammers that can lead to problems you describe. They dont have enough weight to reliably ignite primers.

Some hammers have to be fit to the NFA Poly Lowers because the pocket in the lower can be too narrow.

There could be other issues in the upper causing the failures to fire. Even things like the extractor can cause a gun to have problems going into battery.

Just make sure who ever is helping you really understands the gun well.

You aren't too far in Glen Burnie, would you take a look at it?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You aren't too far in Glen Burnie, would you take a look at it?

Yes, I can help, but I am not available for the next few weeks. I do charge to do inspections, but its not an unreasonable amount.

If you want to meet, P.M. me your info and we can give this AR a once over if you cant get this sorted out. I ask for personal info for security reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom