• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    So Chad, what you're saying there is my new carbon fiber, titanium-tritium self-lubricating glow-in-the-dark bolt carrier group (now with Kung Fu Grip extractor) made by Cooter's Motorcycle Repair and Tow Company on a genuine Harbor Freight Drill Press is not the best choice for reliability?

C'mon man, I spent like three hundred dollars for this on the internet. Plus I got a free hat. You never get a free hat if it's not good. Everybody knows that.

That perticular model will only work for you if you use the Chris Costa method of driving it into battery with the charging handle.:rolleyes:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm not mocking you. Chad and I share a common outlook on some things in the firearms industry and always kid like this. Sorry if it sounded like I was making fun of you or anyone in the thread.

I feel deeply wronged by your callus opinions!

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    That's what I use in both of mine, never had a problem.

Ditto.

I have a couple of NiB BCG's, in my experience they aren't any better than a regular phosphated BCG, but they aren't the evil empire either. Melonited BCG's are becoming more widely available and that's mainly what I'll be using in the future.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    The problem with coatings is that they can vary in thickness. That variation can cause headspace issues. NiB for example, can vary up to .006" which is more than enough to cause headspace problems.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    The problem with coatings is that they can vary in thickness. That variation can cause headspace issues. NiB for example, can vary up to .006" which is more than enough to cause headspace problems.

And that's why chrome lined barrels tend to be less accurate. FWIW, Melonite isn't a coating, so there are no issues with potentially uneven thickness to be concerned about.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Ditto.

I have a couple of NiB BCG's, in my experience they aren't any better than a regular phosphated BCG, but they aren't the evil empire either. Melonited BCG's are becoming more widely available and that's mainly what I'll be using in the future.

NiB is inferior to a Phosphate coated, chrome lined Carrier. The Carrier Bore is less wear resistant then a chrome lined one and if not lubed, the gas rings can seize up.

Melonite Bolts are more brittle. There is no improvement. They chip or break faster around the cam pin area

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    And that's why chrome lined barrels tend to be less accurate. FWIW, Melonite isn't a coating, so there are no issues with potentially uneven thickness to be concerned about.

Melonite is cheaper to apply than chrome lining. Ever notice how many budget barrels now are melonited?

If the barrel extension is treated along with the barrel, the torque value between the 2 parts can change. Corrosion can also happen. Melonite Barrel Extensions tend to chip at the feed ramps because they are too brittle.

There are few companies who melonite AR barrels properly. Faxon is a good one.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

How does changes in the bolt carrier affect headspace?

The bolt, yes.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    So I am sure this has been asked before but my buddy said I cannot use my new auto bolt in a semi build. He said when he did that is made him have cycling issues. Is this true? I just ordered a AIM surplus NIB BCG and bolt and I am worried it will not work.

bolt-carriers.jpg
    Here's the difference in carriers. Notice the tail has more material and is heavier on the m16(full auto) bolt carrier. The weight can help with reliability, as it has more mass slamming forward to push a cartridge in the chamber and lockup the bolt. More reciprocating mass can lead to more recoil though, so many competition carriers will have material stripped away from them like this one...but they can be more finicky depending on how they're set up.
    Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 1.14.55 PM.jpg

If changing the carrier to an m16 style causes your buddy's gun to run wonky, it's likely due to issues with gas/buffer/springs not being setup right. In a properly set-up AR, a m16 carrier will work just fine, as it's what the gun was designed around. The other carriers, like the colt sp1 came about from retarded legislators coming after the lightning link and other fun things. Colt reshaped the carrier so some of the full-auto parts wouldn't work with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom