• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    Colt 1911. I love this gun, I just bought it a few months back. My first handgun. Big ass bullets. Loud as necessary. Do you guys recommend bore snakes or aluminum rods and brushes? Also oil? Are you supposed to oil the exterior?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Otis Cleaning Kit. Should be able to find it for well under $20. Break Free CLP. Give the entire gun a light coating.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    An alum (or brass, etc) cleaning rod is necessary for those occasions when thorough brushing, but that process is occasionally as specifically needed.

A bore snake or other pull through device is handy for routine cleaning, and is handy sized for range bag or even large pocket for range or field use.

So the answer is get a basic kit containing rod, and eventually a pull through also.

And since you specifically mentioned 1911 , there are several gadgets on the market with bushing wrench and other 1911 tools. The other day at Dicks , the gun guy ( who actually is a gun guy) pointed out such a gadget they just started stocking, but alas I didn't pay close attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom