• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I have ready access to old truck leaf springs at work. Some of our heavy trucks have springs that are 4 or more inches wide and 1/2 inch thick. I've done some internet research. Leaf springs are usually made of high carbon steel like 1095 or low alloy like 5160. Depending on heat treatment, they are about 60 to 75% as hard as AR500. I assume that there are other factors besides hardness that make AR500 the usual choice for steel targets.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of if or how well suited these leaf springs would be for use as center fire rifle targets?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    It will depend on caliber, bullet selection, and distance. Some ranges ban all steel targets because of ricochet concerns.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    If you have the steel and the skill to make it work I would give it a try so long as you have a place where they are cool shooting them.

If you stick to mild rounds you should be fine.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    The problem with shooting rifle rounds at steel softer than AR500 (armor plate) grade is they melt a crater in the steel and that can sent bits of the bullet and molten steel back at the shooter or bystanders. Anything less than 150 yards is extremely dangerous. Even if you're shooting soft-nose rounds it's a danger.

Pistol rounds are fine on leaf-spring steel, but rifle rounds? Bad idea.

A point about hard-cast bullets: these are a definite no-no on any steel target because they can bounce, rather than go splat and break up. Same goes for copper, brass, and steel BBs. Extremely dangerous.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I think I'll make a few targets from an old spring and just use them for rimfire and pistol. If I can find a safe place with enough distance & cover I may try out a rifle round and see how the steel holds up. Leaf springs are not as hard as AR500 but they are significantly harder than mild steel. if I ever do get an opportunity to test them with a rifle, I'll post the results & pictures.

genexd

Mar 18, 2014
    You need to either mount the plates in a downward angle or hang them on chains so your lead deflects towards the ground. I use 1/4" mild steel plates and they work great for most pistol rounds. 223s will burn right through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom