• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    From the book "Marine!", the navy wanted the infantry to collect all the japanese rifles from the battle field. These they would trade for "real" food (turkeys, steak, ham). To whom they traded with I dont know. So there are a bunch of non-import marked 7.7's floating around. Anyone have one?

Rockchucker

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 1, 2013
    Millersville
    I believe the law to import stamp firearms entering the US started in 1968.
    Firearms brought in before that were not required to be stamped with the name of the importer.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Brentona, all the 7.7 rifles you see in the US were brought back by US servicemen and were not import marked. There may be some marked ones somewhere that were brought into the country under different circumstances, but I've never seen one.

Rockchucker

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 1, 2013
    Millersville
    Brentona, all the 7.7 rifles you see in the US were brought back by US servicemen and were not import marked. There may be some marked ones somewhere that were brought into the country under different circumstances, but I've never seen one.

Or imported prior to 1968.
    Lots of WWII German K98 rifles in the US were imported prior to 1968 and are not import stamped.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    As was already said, most Japanese rifles/weapons you see in the U.S. today are not import marked as they were either brought back (probably the majority) or imported before 1968. None of my Japanese stuff is import marked.

I believe in the 1980s a large amount of Arisaka's were imported from China and are import marked. Judging by the ones I've seen, they are usually in very bad condition.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    From the book "Marine!", the navy wanted the infantry to collect all the japanese rifles from the battle field. These they would trade for "real" food (turkeys, steak, ham). To whom they traded with I dont know.

Mostly they traded them as souvenirs to USN types in the support fleet. I know that my dad (on a battleship) said that a Marine that he took care of gave him a Japanese pistol, which he intended to take home with him, but someone in Pearl Harbor later confiscated it (probably just a fancy way of stealing it from him). He didn't want to make waves about it, but I wish that he had.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Many accurate comments here. They overwhelming majority of Japanese rifles in the States are "bringbacks" and not import marked. You will have to search much harder to find one that is import marked than one that isn't. It is believed that over 1 million came back as souvenirs after the war.

As others have said there were a bunch that were imported a number of years ago, and most came from China and are very rough. The number of import marked guns is insignificant compared to the number of bringbacks.

Shane762

Jan 2, 2011
    New Market, MD
    As others have said there were a bunch that were imported a number of years ago, and most came from China and are very rough. The number of import marked guns is insignificant compared to the number of bringbacks.

I have an import marked Type 38 that I bought from Springfield Sporters back in 1993 or 1994. It's rough. Really, Really rough but it has an intact mum and was cheap at the time. I've never fired it because it has a stock repair that I'm not sure I'd totally trust. It was made at the Mukden Arsenal so it makes sense that it came out of China.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    I have an import marked Type 38 that I bought from Springfield Sporters back in 1993 or 1994. It's rough. Really, Really rough but it has an intact mum and was cheap at the time. I've never fired it because it has a stock repair that I'm not sure I'd totally trust. It was made at the Mukden Arsenal so it makes sense that it came out of China.

Most imports I have seen were Springfield Sporters as well, and good point regarding the Mukden (Hoten) rifle, does make sense that more of those made it into the China import batches. Also reminded me of another good point...with the China imports came a handful of Mukden Type 99 rifles, often considered a holy grail for Japanese collectors with only a few dozen known to exist. A Mukden Type 99 barreled receiver brought over $1700 on Gunbroker a little while ago so you can imagine what an in tact gun would bring. Normally I wouldn't touch an import marked Arisaka with a ten foot pole since they don't have much collector value, but a Mukden 99 would be the obvious exception to that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom